Thread: Zinc & Phosphorous in Mobil 1

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Zinc & Phosphorous in Mobil 1

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/m...pecs-guide.pdf

PDF Chart from Mobil 1.

Their "High Mileage" and "Motorcycle 4 T" designations are the highest in 10W-40 and 20W-50 but the very highest are found in the "Racing" versions of the 0W-30 and 0W-40 viscosities.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Zinc & Phosphorous in Mobil 1

interesting thanks
    John
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Additives must be bad right? EPA says they are..

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

I was doing some reading about oils. They took all sorts of oil and put pressure on the oil to see how much pressure it took to break it down. IIRC oil with high zinc and phospherous didn't perform any better than any other oil. The highest testing oils didn't have any meaningful amount of zinc and phospherous.https://540ratblog.wordpress.com

I wonder is the high zinc level in Mobil 1 V TWIN oil meant as a "stop leak"?

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBRUDDA View Post
    I wonder is the high zinc level in Mobil 1 V TWIN oil meant as a "stop leak"?
    If the V-twin in question has HD stamped on it, is there any miracle potion to stop leaks???

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    I was doing some reading about oils. They took all sorts of oil and put pressure on the oil to see how much pressure it took to break it down. IIRC oil with high zinc and phospherous didn't perform any better than any other oil. The highest testing oils didn't have any meaningful amount of zinc and phospherous.https://540ratblog.wordpress.com

Very interesting read, if not a bit long winded...

Makes me glad I've stuck with Valvoline all these years...

boostaholic

As a mechanical engineer I find that blog embarrassing

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Well, high ZDDP is good for my slider cammed 8 valve engines and also for the Ramerati. Then too, there are slider cammed bikes and the lawn mower. lol
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
    As a mechanical engineer I find that blog embarrassing
    Can't just discredit it and provide no explanation.

I would really suggest everyone read this article: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

boostaholic

Well the writing sucks to me. My professors would destroy me if I turned anything in like that. Zero organization. Loss of value just from that alone. Who buries a table of content 3 pages in. The standards I'm held to it just does not cut it. That is my opinion...

Can't just discredit it and provide no explanation.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Well the writing sucks to me. My professors would destroy me if I turned anything in like that. Zero organization. Loss of value just from that alone. Who buries a table of content 3 pages in. The standards I'm held to it just does not cut it. That is my opinion...
    But at the beginning of the article, he states he's writing for the common guy to understand. It was never meant to be a technical article. I'll agree, the organization is definitely odd, but it still gets the info across...

Hybrid booster

Fellow mechanical engineering professional here; I haven't had a chance to read the entire article yet but I agree with going4speed above, the layout and writing style is not anything like a technical paper and does not lend itself credibility nor make it easy to glean answers from it. Supposedly he's trying to write it for a layperson but he doesn't organize the data well for that type of audience.

He seems overly confident stating three(?) times on the first page that he's a mechanical engineer, ergo he knows what he's talking about and that as a designer he is the most qualified to test motor oils. I've met many an engineer who have huge egos but nothing to back them up. The subsection titles are confusing and the first page is just a bunch of anecdotal stories that supposedly verify his claims. He claims his testing method matches exactly real world conditions and his experiment proves once and for all that a certain point is moot. I haven't read the whole article so I cannot yet comment if his claims have any merit, but at first glance he would seem to be suffering from a confirmation bias and like he's trying to convince you he's credible, which really isn't necessary.

Again, I haven't read the whole thing yet, I'm gonna mull this over with a beer and post back my thoughts (if anyone wants to hear it lol).

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf

PDF Chart from Mobil 1.

Their "High Mileage" and "Motorcycle 4 T" designations are the highest in 10W-40 and 20W-50 but the very highest are found in the "Racing" versions of the 0W-30 and 0W-40 viscosities.
    I am a fan of Mobil 1 5w30 or 10w30 High Mileage formulations. They have added zinc (not that you need TONS of it, but the regular variants have too little) and at least in my climate I don't require 40 or 50 weight oils.

I did some digging this past summer and Mobil was the only oil manufacturer I contacted that would willingly divulge the chemical content of their motor oils. Royal Dutch Shell, Pennzoil/Quaker State and BP Lubricants wouldn't say, it's "proprietary information". Not that it means very much, but the transparency is nice.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by vxvxAndrewxvxv View Post
    I would really suggest everyone read this article: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/
    A good read thanks
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by TheCanadian007 View Post
    Fellow mechanical engineering professional here; I haven't had a chance to read the entire article yet but I agree with going4speed above, the layout and writing style is not anything like a technical paper and does not lend itself credibility nor make it easy to glean answers from it. Supposedly he's trying to write it for a layperson but he doesn't organize the data well for that type of audience.

He seems overly confident stating three(?) times on the first page that he's a mechanical engineer, ergo he knows what he's talking about and that as a designer he is the most qualified to test motor oils. I've met many an engineer who have huge egos but nothing to back them up. The subsection titles are confusing and the first page is just a bunch of anecdotal stories that supposedly verify his claims. He claims his testing method matches exactly real world conditions and his experiment proves once and for all that a certain point is moot. I haven't read the whole article so I cannot yet comment if his claims have any merit, but at first glance he would seem to be suffering from a confirmation bias and like he's trying to convince you he's credible, which really isn't necessary.

Again, I haven't read the whole thing yet, I'm gonna mull this over with a beer and post back my thoughts (if anyone wants to hear it lol).

I am a fan of Mobil 1 5w30 or 10w30 High Mileage formulations. They have added zinc (not that you need TONS of it, but the regular variants have too little) and at least in my climate I don't require 40 or 50 weight oils.

I did some digging this past summer and Mobil was the only oil manufacturer I contacted that would willingly divulge the chemical content of their motor oils. Royal Dutch Shell, Pennzoil/Quaker State and BP Lubricants wouldn't say, it's "proprietary information". Not that it means very much, but the transparency is nice.
    He States that his test has nothing to do with a running engine. He is simply comparing oils to each other to see which one has the higher film strength. It's simply a data point. I agree he thinks his test is the be all end all and it might not be but it is interesting.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by TheCanadian007 View Post

The content of a lot of motor oils can be found here;http://www.pqiamerica.com/
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27