Thread: HELP - Where to install MOPAR OEM Air Horn & Compressor

Mitsu booster

HELP - Where to install MOPAR OEM Air Horn & Compressor

I am installing the MOPAR OEM Air Horn & Compressor in an '86 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z replacing the stock electric horn that the Daytona came with. Both of my previous '85 Chrysler Laser XE had them installed from the factory. The Daytona electric horn is passenger side beside the radiator.

I don't recall where or how the were mounted to the front end. I searched here and couldn't find much to help.

Does anyone have pictures of the air horn & compressor mounted so I can see the location of where they are to be mounted?

My FSM show the wiring of the compressor but doesn't appear to show the location and mounting.

I have the original hardware for mounting as well.

turbo addict

Re: HELP - Where to install MOPAR OEM Air Horn & Compressor

The compressor gets mounted in the passenger's front corner of the engine bay just above the charcoal canister. The horn itself gets mounted on the radiator support on the bumper side just to the outboard side of the bumper bracket.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    The compressor gets mounted in the passenger's front corner of the engine bay just above the charcoal canister. The horn itself gets mounted on the radiator support on the bumper side just to the outboard side of the bumper bracket.
    Does the air horn get mounted then inside the engine bay beside the radiator or front side of radiator wall which would be between headlights and radiator wall directly behind the headlights passenger side?

turbo addict

it mounts in the inside corner of the inner fender and the rad cradle , in an upright position - I believe it actually bolts to the inner fender above the charcoal canister
    the horn it's self mounts to the front of the rad cradle

I ran the air horn along with both of the standard duel note electric horns - it was definalely loud enough to be heard

there should be a hole in the inner fender where the wires to the pass side front side marker light go through the inner fender

the top of the compressor should be in the area of this hole - and should if in the right place make pulling the side marker lamp plug through the fender hole slightly more difficult

turbo addict

The horn get mounted between the headlights and the radiator, but not really "between" the headlights as it's off towards the passenger's side of the bumper support bracket.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

Is it the same as a '90 TC Maserati? I have one at my shop and noticed it has air horns but didn't really focus on it. I can look/take pictures when I go in tomorrow.

turbo addict

Yes, it should be. I know it uses the same air pump.

Mitsu booster

Pictures of the horn location with mount and the compressor with mounting would help immensely.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I was only able to snap a picture of the compressor. I had my appendix out and couldn't crawl under the TC, I only went to work to check my mail and pay some bills. Hopefully on Monday when I go in I can get a picture of the horns for you.

turbo addict

I misspoke (mistyped?) earlier. On the TC the air horn itself is mounted on the *inside* (towards the center of the car) of the passenger's side bumper bracket. Sorry about the confusion. I remembered it backwards.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    I was only able to snap a picture of the compressor. I had my appendix out and couldn't crawl under the TC, I only went to work to check my mail and pay some bills. Hopefully on Monday when I go in I can get a picture of the horns for you.
    Thanks A.J. Any picture will help tremendously. It's easier to view a picture than describe in detail the exact way & where it's mounted.