Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A-555 Intermediate Shaft - which to use

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Re: A-555 Intermediate Shaft - which to use

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    Simon, that's the heat affected zone you are seeing.
    I don't know, but to me, you can see the thin sleeve. Looks they did weld up the area then put a sleeve on. You can see the uniform layer of it, no way you can weld up an area like that, then machine it down and have an exact thickness sleeve. Its most apparent at around 5-10 oclock.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman² View Post
    I don't know, but to me, you can see the thin sleeve. Looks they did weld up the area then put a sleeve on. You can see the uniform layer of it, no way you can weld up an area like that, then machine it down and have an exact thickness sleeve. Its most apparent at around 5-10 oclock.
    I concur.

Mitsu booster

R+R Machine[330-724-5526] on Arlington just off the I-77/277 interchange can machine anything. They are also the Akron/Canton local Garrett dealer selling parts , kits, or rebuilding turbos. Also , they can balance any turbo you bring them. Mostly they do big industrial engines but they are all hot rodders , I never heard of them turning down any turbo or machine work regardless of application. John.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

I agree with R&R......they do good work. Plus they are local to me. Long lost relative of my friend Jason runs the place(at least used to)
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Garrett booster

Thanks for the info!

Garrett booster

Been a long time, broke a damn case during the process, but it's done and back in the car. I am hoping to make the time to get the car back on the road by end of the weekend. I sure hope it works!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Looking good!
    Bryan

Garrett booster

Had a day off work, so spent about 8 hours and got to drive it this evening. Not at all happy. 5th gear screams like a banshee and the engine is still missing under boost (a paltry 11 PSI). With no boost, it pulls all the way to 6000RPM smoothly. I'll be pulling the side pan off tomorrow. I'm starting to dislike this car.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by MoparStephen View Post
    Had a day off work, so spent about 8 hours and got to drive it this evening. Not at all happy. 5th gear screams like a banshee and the engine is still missing under boost (a paltry 11 PSI). With no boost, it pulls all the way to 6000RPM smoothly. I'll be pulling the side pan off tomorrow. I'm starting to dislike this car.
    Try closing the gap on the plugs to see if that helps you miss fire.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Gaboon View Post
    Try closing the gap on the plugs to see if that helps you miss fire.
    I've done that as well as try different brands and heat ranges to no avail. The plugs look perfect when I take them out. I have a really nice set of Aurora 8.5mm wires (from Turbovanman) to install. The car has an aftermarket coil on it (canister style, chrome generic replacement from Summit Racing) since my original had a pretty big dent in it. I am starting to suspect it may be an issue. I am also going to try some different tunes, I'm ready to just give up on the one I have been tweaking. After 3 seasons if I can't get it right, I think I can admit defeat. The car gets 30MPG when cruising and can break the tires loose at 60MPH in 3rd gear. I just can't get on it hard in 1st or 2nd.

RE the howling 5th gear. I pulled the pan and 5th gear assembly out after work today. The output shaft gear had some pretty bad looking wear on the teeth as well as some tarnishing on the inner surface. I installed the only spare that I have. I popped the pan back on just to test it in the air and it sounded 90% better. I'll go easy on it while in 5th and hopefully sometime can find a better matched gearset.

After a while it will break in and possibly will quite down some more.
    Bryan

Garrett booster

Good news. I found the 5th gear with cone which attaches to the output shaft was bad. The gear surfaces were worn to hell, the inside surface was not as nice as my other gear. I still need a fresh set of gears for 5th, but with the setup I have, it sounds the same as it did before I did the rebuild.

Other good news. I finally installed the sweet set of 8.5 mm Aurora plug wires. Initial test was good. Once I hit 5500 RPM in second gear, I broke both tires loose. I was able to do a full throttle run in 3rd gear, but had to back off at 5000 due to excessive speed and running out of road. Real shame as the car was pulling harder as the RPMs increased. All of this is with a paltry 11.5PSI of boost. I expect a really fun summer.

P.S.
    Anyone close to the Barberton area should check out Wink's Drive In. I'll be there tomorrow after 5:30PM. There's always a huge gathering of classic muscle cars, but the crowd is really friendly to every make, model, and year. I've been going to this local hangout for about 15 years now. I'll be easy to spot - long haired hippy with a beer belly and a white Shelby Z.

Garrett booster

Well, the trip to Winks this evening was a no go. Got 2/3rds of the way there, and one of the clips holding the new shift cables to the transmission just fell off. Had to get towed home. I don't know what I did to piss off this car, but it is really upset with me. I am thinking of making a 2 piece circular clamp which bolts together, with an internal ridge that will hold the cable in place.

Quote Originally Posted by MoparStephen View Post
    Well, the trip to Winks this evening was a no go. Got 2/3rds of the way there, and one of the clips holding the new shift cables to the transmission just fell off. Had to get towed home. I don't know what I did to piss off this car, but it is really upset with me. I am thinking of making a 2 piece circular clamp which bolts together, with an internal ridge that will hold the cable in place.
    They make clips just for that....at least I thought they did.
    Bryan

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Looks good, but I don't anything about machining. Let us know how it holds up, sounds, wears, etc. Thanks for sharing this!
    Sorry for the necro-bump, but for those of you keeping score, http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...e-Shaft-Repair

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12