Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A-555 Intermediate Shaft - which to use

Garrett booster

A-555 Intermediate Shaft - which to use

I've finally gotten around to installing the Quaife I purchased 2+ years ago (as well as the new set of synchros and bronze shift fork pads). Several years ago I did a full "bearing & seal" refresh on this transmission. It has maybe 10,000 miles on it. Diff bearings are shot - the inner races have visible wear / heat issues and I also destroyed the bearings trying to remove them from the diff, even though I spent a few hundred in tools this past week. This must have been caused by too much preload on the bearings. I will definitely be measuring everything twice on this build.

Diff bearing races:

The original intermediate shaft from the car has some wear and will need welded/machined. I have a spare from the original transmission, but there is a nasty pit on one of the pinion gear teeth. My third option, is the NU-2206-ECJ bearing, but I really do not want to have my case machined. I am attaching some pics of both shafts I have. My instinct tells me to steer clear of the one with the pitted pinion gear tooth, and to have the other one machined. The car has roughly 300HP, and I have never taken it down the track, but I would like to do that once or twice a year. If this is the case can anyone recommend a decent machine shop around the Akron/Canton OH area?

Worn bearing surface:

Pitted tooth:

Thanks for any advice. I've been searching the forums and reading threads back to 2008 for the past three days.

turbo addict

Re: A-555 Intermediate Shaft - which to use

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I would look for a better one.
    If you already invested the money in a Quaife LSD, why run other parts that you know will fail in short order?

Garrett booster

Picked up a new set of diff bearings, and was given recommendation of a machine shop close by. They have been doing race engines for 50 years, they have tons of experience in welding up stroker cranks. I should have the repaired piece back by the end of the week. They are machining the pits out, welding it back up, then machining back down to 1.400" for $100. I'll post pics when I get it back. I suppose I should get a new case bearing - found some NOS ones for $25. Cheap insurance.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

subscribed to see the repaired parts.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    subscribed to see the repaired parts.
    Same here. That's a great deal if the work's good IMO.

I'm in too.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

Seller alert - selling "new unused" bearings as used ones shrinkwrapped and stinking of ZEP cleaner.

I thought it was too good to be true. A source of new Koyo RNU070617-6 bearings for $25 plus $10 shipping. As the old saying goes, it was. What I received today were two very obviously used bearings which have been cleaned well, but still smell like ZEP parts cleaner, are sealed in shrink-wrap that NO new bearing comes in, and in a generic, non-Koyo box with a printed label stuck to it.

Please avoid the following links:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00
    Item clearly described as "New in Factory box - RNU070618-6 KOYO New Cylindrical Roller Bearing"

http://www.locateballbearings.com/

I am placing a dispute on the transaction this evening as I just received them.

turbo addict

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

That sucks! pics?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Garrett booster

Here's the pics of the bogus bearings I was sent. I filed a claim with the seller and was told I will get a full refund. I'll post back when that happens.

Honestly - who the hell would fall for these being new?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the repaired shaft. $100 (plus $6.75 tax). Contact info for anybody interested is http://www.rrengine.com/ (I'm not getting anything for mentioning this, just sharing info). The close up and flash makes the gear teeth look bad. I cannot feel any wear on the teeth even with my nails. I sure hope this holds up when I re-install it.

Looks good, but I don't anything about machining. Let us know how it holds up, sounds, wears, etc. Thanks for sharing this!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

No offense to you, if it works it works but for a shop that reworks crankshafts they really seem to have put zero effort into cleaning that up and finishing it properly.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    No offense to you, if it works it works but for a shop that reworks crankshafts they really seem to have put zero effort into cleaning that up and finishing it properly.
    No offense taken. I used to do machining, and made tool and die plates that were used in presses up to 50 tons. I would not return something to a customer looking like that.

I was just so hesitant to sleeve the shaft and hog out the end of my transmission case. Getting those Honda bearings to fit removes a ton of case material. I'm only making 300HP, I'll see how it holds up.

Garrett booster

I am glad I decided to completely tear down and inspect the original transmission. The dog-teeth were all in MUCH better shape on the original. So I will be using that input shaft, all gears from the original intermediate shaft, a full set of new synchros, and the repaired intermediate shaft from the second transmission. The new synchros sat .020" higher than the old! They should grip quite nicely.

I also noticed that the original transmission had all the cone bearings made by Timken (USA), not the Japanse Koyo. They held up much better and pressed off with less damage. So I will be installing all new Timken bearings in this one. I'm not looking forward to shimming the intermediate and differential.

turbo addict

Sucks about the bearings. Thanks for the heads-up, though!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

That shaft isn't welded, they put a sleeve on. Be very careful on the sleeve, if they didn't use the correct hardness sleeve, it will wear faster than the original shaft. Had that happen to me,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman² View Post
    That shaft isn't welded, they put a sleeve on. Be very careful on the sleeve, if they didn't use the correct hardness sleeve, it will wear faster than the original shaft. Had that happen to me,
    No - it's not sleeved. I can see where it meets the grooves for the pinion gear, the weld was not perfectly parallel to the end of the shaft. They ground it down, and used a sub-arc welder on it, then machined back down to size. I have a ton more pics, but did not want to clog up the board. I will give you the link to extra pics here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/756195...57664147457310

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoparStephen View Post
    No - it's not sleeved. I can see where it meets the grooves for the pinion gear, the weld was not perfectly parallel to the end of the shaft. They ground it down, and used a sub-arc welder on it, then machined back down to size. I have a ton more pics, but did not want to clog up the board. I will give you the link to extra pics here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/756195...57664147457310
    This pic clearly shows the sleeve. Not here to argue but its plain to see.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1494/...9415dda4_b.jpg
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Simon, that's the heat affected zone you are seeing.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast