Thread: (GM) Recaro seats in Omni

turbo addict

(GM) Recaro seats in Omni

Found me a pair of Recaro seats off a Saturn Ion blue/dark blue (Cobalt seats have SS on them and are black). They were left outside, dusty and sad. For $60, I couldn't pass up.

Gave them some cleaning.

Stock seats bracket. Lots of surface rust. Recaro didn't paint the half the brackets, and the brackets are riveted in using 3/8 steel rivets. I had to grind every rivet then hammer them out.

I took the stock brackets off the Omni seats, make the cross brackets out of the sheet metal and modified the brackets on the Recaro seats to make them work with the cross brackets. The driver seats have height adjustment, I had to take that out because the seats would be too high and my legs will hit the steering wheel.

Took me a day and a half from start to finish, rivets took the most time to grind and hammer out. $60 seats, $20 of sheet metal, $40 worth of bolts, washers, and nuts. New seats look great, certainly better than the 31 year old CS seats I had in there. Passenger side seat about .5-1 inch higher than stock, driver side is about the same, maybe even a little lower after I took out the height adjustment brackets.

Last edited by tryingbe; 02-15-2016 at 12:07 PM.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: (GM) Recaro seats in Omni

That's awesome. I would love something like that in my omni. I've got ideas out the wazoo, but no real action taken. You're head and shoulders above me on that front to say the least.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Like! My project RedBox needs front seats...

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Sweet; well done.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Nice!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.