Thread: 1996 Dodge Caravan Stalling Out

Garrett booster

1996 Dodge Caravan Stalling Out

Hey all, I have a 96 Caravan w/ the 3.8L V6. It has given me a host of weird problems lately, but last night it got a little scary. I was going down the interstate at a good 60mph or so, started braking and turning off my exit and the van just shut off, killing both the power steering and the brakes. I put it in neutral and kept cranking the key, it would fire, then die immediately instead of idling. It did this a good 10 times. Eventually I rolled to a stop, put it in park and got it to start and stay running while feathering the throttle. It then drove fine all the way home (including while braking/turning).

This isn't the first time it has presented the issue of stalling while braking/turning, though every other time was in town while coming to a stop sign while cutting the wheel. This was the first time it has shut off at 50mph plus and I hope it's the last.

Other issues (which may or may not be related):

Sometimes I go to start van and get nothing. No crank, no noise, no click. . . just silence. Other times, it will make a short noise like the battery is dead (it's good, had it checked twice by two different shops). Trying to start the van two, three, fifteen times, doesn't matter, it will just randomly fire up and run fine.

Other times I start it up and it has an extremely rough idle and puffs a little blue smoke, if I let it run for a while it smooths out and drives fine.

I'm stumped. Most urgent is keeping this van from stalling on the highway as I drive it 70mph 7 days a week. Any help is appreciated!!! Feel free to text/call 937-407-0097 - Joel

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: 1996 Dodge Caravan Stalling Out

Did you do the key dance and check for codes?

One possibility based on what you're describing is a crank position sensor. If that were the case, it would probably give you a code for it if you were to check while the condition was occurring.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Did you do the key dance and check for codes?

One possibility based on what you're describing is a crank position sensor. If that were the case, it would probably give you a code for it if you were to check while the condition was occurring.
    Did not think to check for codes as it was happening, I was just too worried about getting out of the middle of the road, haha. I will check the next time it happens.

Hybrid booster

I had a bad MAP sensor cause similar issues on a 99 Dodge Stratus, it took forever to throw a code...

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by RattFink View Post
    I had a bad MAP sensor cause similar issues on a 99 Dodge Stratus, it took forever to throw a code...
    I have also heard it could be this as well.... researched and came up with a handful of possible causes but no guaranteed "this is it!" answers.

Last night it drove fine all the way to work. Went to leave, it started and idled rough, I sat in it for about five to ten minutes and said "screw it, I'm driving home". It seems to be idling low, then adjusting throttle to remain running (while in park/neutral). While giving it gas it drove fine all the way home, but if I let off the gas, the rpm would immediately drop to about 3-500, the lights on the dash would flicker and then it would rev itself up a little to stay running. When I let off the gas and start braking, the rpm dove and it stalled out. If I give it throttle while braking, it will stay running just fine.

*Edit* Went out to drive van today just to see if it was still having problems holding steady idle, no. It started up right away, idled fine and ran fine on two trips around the block with numerous stops/turns.

It is definitely not an every day or every drive issue.

Garrett booster

Also, I just realized I ruined a perfectly good opportunity to check for a code as I was leaving work last night. I work in a restaurant and being Valentines Day, all I was thinking about was getting home. I'll remember next time, lol.