Thread: New CV Axle Shaft Won't Go In...!

Mitsu booster

New CV Axle Shaft Won't Go In...!

Guys, I really need help...

My driver's side CV Axle Shaft just won't go in no matter what I do. I've removed everything including the strut to get a clean clear straight shot to "float" it in.

It's an '91 A523 3:50 large spline with OBX LSD all redone by Cluff Ramsdell. Passenger side went it without any problems and is ready to go. Drivers side is giving me all kinds of problems. The differential has the oil grooves half way then the splines. I can "float" the shaft in to where you can see the splines any further and then it gets very tight.

I have tried 2 different brand new CV axles thinking that the first may have been milled wrong by just a fraction making it not go in. I can tap it in about 1/8" then it won't go any further. It might be hitting splines at this point. It's so tight you can no longer just feel for the splines and slide it in like normal. Once it is lightly tapped in by a 2x4 to 1/8" then it's just as hard getting back out. Acts almost like shaft is tapered it's not.

I have lubricated it very well using white lithium grease then tried Red Line synthetic back to white lithium. Nothing seems to help.

I have not tried the BFH...! If splines are not lined up exactly then I would have a very difficult time getting it back out.

HELP...

turbo addict

Re: New CV Axle Shaft Won't Go In...!

I'm too lazy to search, machining the shaft down is the solution.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Is there a quaife in the trans?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

OBX differentials are know to get tight once new bearings are pressed on. I learned this the hard way, like you are, when I built my first transmission with an OBX diff.
    You need to get a brake cylinder hone and hone the ID of the diff where the axle goes in until the axle will fit.

I had to hone my obx soothe axles would install correctly.

Mitsu booster

Does only affect the driver's side then, that I having the difficulty with?

If I hone the ID of the differential where the axle goes, does this impact the axle's oil flow since I would be shallowing out the channeled area just before the splines?

Should I see about honing/ machining the shaft spindle itself just above the splines to ever so slightly reduce the overall diameter to allow it to go all the way in and seat as it is supposed to?

We Todd D dot D Turbo Mopar Staff sdac guy's Avatar

I did a drivers side axle shaft on my 91 Spirit R/T this summer and had the same problem. Mine does not have a Quaife or an OBX, but it is an A568 so it is the same trans case as yours. The shaft would go in far enough that I could feel the splines just start to engage, maybe 1/4" or so. Then it would stop like it was hitting a wall.

My old shaft went back in fine, but the new one simply wouldn't go in. I worked at this for a few days. I could not see any reason why it wouldn't go in .... until ... I got a drop light and looked really close.

It turned out that the edge of the cv boot and clamp was hitting the edge of the trans case. That kept the shaft & splines from lining up perfectly to go in. I put the axle in as far as I could get it, and then pulled the axle towards the trans (toward the front of the car) while pushing in on the axle. This compressed the edge of the cv boot and the axle finally slid in all the way.

I don't know if this is the problem you're having or not, but it is worth a try.

Barry
    86 Shelby Lancer Prototype
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

For your questions about SDAC, please contact BadAssPerformance

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

Barry I know exactly what your talking about. With both of my driveshaft shop axels ( the stage 3 and 5 ), they use heavier duty banding clamps and clearance is an issue with the 568 style cases vrs the 555 cases. I had to shave just a tiny bit of the case in that area so it wouldn't interfere with the band clamp on the axle. As far as the axle I remember with the obx i bought for an auto trans I built that I had to find the "SPOT" where the splines would match up better.. so in some cases that might be the problem but it sounds like what AJ said. I had to do that to my quaife diff sadly enough..
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by sdac guy View Post
    I did a drivers side axle shaft on my 91 Spirit R/T this summer and had the same problem. Mine does not have a Quaife or an OBX, but it is an A568 so it is the same trans case as yours. The shaft would go in far enough that I could feel the splines just start to engage, maybe 1/4" or so. Then it would stop like it was hitting a wall.

My old shaft went back in fine, but the new one simply wouldn't go in. I worked at this for a few days. I could not see any reason why it wouldn't go in .... until ... I got a drop light and looked really close.

It turned out that the edge of the cv boot and clamp was hitting the edge of the trans case. That kept the shaft & splines from lining up perfectly to go in. I put the axle in as far as I could get it, and then pulled the axle towards the trans (toward the front of the car) while pushing in on the axle. This compressed the edge of the cv boot and the axle finally slid in all the way.

I don't know if this is the problem you're having or not, but it is worth a try.

Barry
    Nope this isn't what's happening in my case. I have everything removed, knuckle, caliper, tie rod, entire strut is out and on the floor. I have a straight shot and can see all around the axle. Great lighting. The boot and/or boot clamp is is not hitting anything. I can see visibly where it's hitting. The shaft just up from the splines about 1/8" where splines stop & solid shaft starts is the area that hits the inside of the differential. I can tell this by the solid clunk it makes when it hits and about 1/8" of grease is disturbed leaving the impression in the grease on the shaft showing how much of the shaft actually went in. You really have to wiggle it and pull to get it back out. It binds in there very easily, even with all the grease.

Mitsu booster

I'm really at a loss here.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

buy a brake cylinder hone and use a light coat of oil and hone the diff. take your time and keep an even and steady rhythm with steady speed. hone it for 1 min then try the axle. repeat until it fits. Before trying the axle clean the diff "tube" so you can keep things as clean as possible.
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TurboZJockey View Post
    Does only affect the driver's side then, that I having the difficulty with?

If I hone the ID of the differential where the axle goes, does this impact the axle's oil flow since I would be shallowing out the channeled area just before the splines?

Should I see about honing/ machining the shaft spindle itself just above the splines to ever so slightly reduce the overall diameter to allow it to go all the way in and seat as it is supposed to?
    Hone whichever side does not fit. It will not affect the oiling. You are only removing a tiny amount of material. A few thousnaths at best.

If you turn down the axles, you'll have to turn down every replacement axle you install in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboZJockey View Post
    Nope this isn't what's happening in my case. I have everything removed, knuckle, caliper, tie rod, entire strut is out and on the floor. I have a straight shot and can see all around the axle. Great lighting. The boot and/or boot clamp is is not hitting anything. I can see visibly where it's hitting. The shaft just up from the splines about 1/8" where splines stop & solid shaft starts is the area that hits the inside of the differential. I can tell this by the solid clunk it makes when it hits and about 1/8" of grease is disturbed leaving the impression in the grease on the shaft showing how much of the shaft actually went in.
    I have a brand new A568 trans on the shelf. I tried my axle in that trans with the same result. Note that I am not saying the axle is getting hung up on the case, I am saying that the interference between the case and the axle (however slight) keeps the axle from going into the diff exactly straight on.

But what you describe is exactly what I was experiencing. The axle would start to go in. I could tell the splines started to engage because when I twisted the axle, I could tell the diff was rotating with it. But the straight part of the axle just above the splines was not going into it's home area, and it clunked when it stopped and would go no further. When I pulled the axle over toward the case, it allowed the axle to straighten its path enough that the axle slid on in.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboZJockey
    You really have to wiggle it and pull to get it back out. It binds in there very easily, even with all the grease.
    This is the only thing you describe that is different than mine. Mine never bound up at all.

It is not easy to see the interference between the trans and the axle. But when the axle is bound in there look to see where the edge of the boot and the clamp is at. On mine it was right next to the area of the bolts for the side cover. No play in the axle could be felt when trying to move it towards the trans (toward the front of the car), it was snug up against it.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T

turbo addict

I have seen the ends of the gears needing cleaned up before. NOT the outside being bad or the inside of the trans being honed.....it was the inside of the axle gears (spline). Look at them close. a small SMALL flat file could clean them up if that is your issue.

- - - Updated - - -

...or try a different axle to see if that helps.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Mitsu booster

Spent 2 hours honing the differential. I put an 18mm 3/8 drive socket all the way in as far as it would go to protect the splines. Used CRC cutting oil & Lisle wheel cylinder hone on a cordless drill moving it in & out at a steady speed. After stopping to check progress about 5 times, finally it cut enough to allow the CV axle to slide in all the way as it should. No fluid leaks.

Glad to hear you got it resolved.

Barry
    90 Daytona Shelby VNT
    91 Spirit R/T