Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally Starting on #53

Re: Finally Starting on #53

Quote Originally Posted by MPI_duster View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Walbro-GSL-392.../dp/B0051UH656

PN:GSL-392

If you get the sleeve with it, it mounts with the factory clamp.

Yep thats the one I was looking at. That picture does help johnny, the one I had wasn't zoomed in as far and got blurry when zooming so it was hard to see.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    This Wabro obviously works. But I notice reading about it it has 3/8" fittings, does that mean for 3/8 hose? Or the size of the brass screw in part?
    My car had larger than 3/8 fuel lines.
    3/8 pipe thread. Put what ever size barb you want on it, as long as it has 3/8 pipe on the other end.

(Link with better specs)
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpn-gsl392

The pump inlet/outlet are10mm x 1. You can buy just about any fitting to screw into it. Is it a banjo type fitting on the discharge of the pump? Seems like an odd choice for flow.

Hybrid booster

I thought that was kinda weird too. That stock bosch pump had some sort of pulse dampener on it. I'm not running one now

For those of you that have messed with your clutch slave cylinder how much play did you leave in the rod end? Would my best bet be to adjust it so that all the free play is out of it or should I leave a little?

turbo addict

Would my best bet be to adjust it so that all the free play is out
    thats what I did.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Garrett booster

thats what I did.
    Same here.

I'm putting in the shifter cables and need to know how the rear cable routes? Looks like war around the passengers side and then under the turbo to the mounting bracket. Is it secured anywhere along the way? Also which cable is which. I don't have any of my other cars at the house to look at. Is the front cable on the trans the side to side or front to back motion at the shifter

Garrett booster

I don't remember which is which. But I can help you with the routing. The longer cable shoots towards the passenger side, then runs along the frame rail in my car. It is zip tied in a couple of places to keep it away from the CV Axle.

Sounds good. I can run out to my building today and look at one if the 5 spd cars for which is which.

This help?
    I can't see the top of the fuel pump mount but to me it looks like a conduit clamp with 90 degree bracket welded or bolted to the top of it. Does it look something like this with an added bracket?

Hybrid booster

its similar to that, but has a stud. Sticks off perpendicular to the pump cylinder, kinda like a coil bracket. I'll go look in a few and see if I can get a picture.
    ....fuel pump clamp 4279679 ...85 omni turbo discontinued...

Shifter cables are in and working so now I'm moving onto the radiator and fans. Anyone have any pix of how the fans install on a two fan car?

Here's a few pix of the rear of the car.

turbo addict

I can't get to my car right now, in storage for another week. Other wise I would take shots.
    Is there anything to help on my build thread?
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

I looked but didn't find anything, they're covered in all the shots. I still need to order the fans, I'm just planning on ordering some 9in ebay specials and see how they do, they're 630cfm each so that should be plenty and it seems like all the fans out there look exactly the same. The ones on Danhard's website even look the same using the spiral fan blades instead of the flat ones that I see on the cars although they are listed at 130W. Has anyone had any issues with the stock wiring not being up to the task of running the two fans? The fan's I'm looking at are 80W which is what most seem to be, so that's 13.3 amps at 12 volts, it drops to 11.4 at 14 which I guess is probably ok. also they typically pull less than max if the flow is not restricted through them. Maybe the best bet would be to just put them in and see what they pull.

Hybrid booster

Mine has 2 fans and works just fine, haven't had any issues with the wiring. As for mounting, on my series 1, the fans mount to a plate that bolts to the radiator support ( metal casing around the radiator ) and has a plate to cover the top part of the fans that stick above the rad....likely series 2 rears are a bit different but also likely that it's just as simple of a solution.
    I wouldn't worry at all about the cfm rating. My fans hardly ever run, even during the summer here in FL. I got stuck on I-4 coming back from daytona for about 2 hrs. It wasn't idling for that entire time but never ran hot or acted funny.

turbo addict

Mine keeps cool too. Only time it got warm was "pushing it" though the northern mountains of New Mexico when it was 115 degrees out.

But using the fans, around traffic, etc...it keeps it's cool.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-23-2016 at 12:09 PM.

My fans came in today and I mocked them up. They should work fine, very small gap around the edges and move plenty of air.

Johnny, I looked through your thread again and found a pic that shows the fan mount brackets, nothing to high tech, I'm sure I can figure something out.

I traced these two black wires to be the grounds for the taillights. Can anyone verify for me if they go under the fuel rail bolt or at the ground strap on the back of the engine?

The only other thing I'm unsure of is the radiator, the one I got with the car had a pretty rusty bracket attached to it that I removed, the radiator now is basically all fins top and bottom, nothing to protect it. I can clean up the part I have and put it back on but I need something for the bottom for the radiator to rest on when installed. For those of you that removed your radiators does the top and bottom of the radiator had something soldered or brazed on to keep it protected? If I set it in there it seems to sit lower than other pictures I've seen of radiators.

Here's what it looks like

and the bracket I removed

turbo addict

My radiator has a top and bottom to protect those fins. Look naked without them.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast