Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally Starting on #53

Finally Starting on #53

Loaded up the Consulier today to move it from my pole building to my home garage to start working on it. The plan right now is to start getting the mechanicals sorted. I'll probably start a build thread once I get into it. I have the new shift cables to install along with a new clutch slave cylinder. I need to get rear brakes installed and the radiator cleaned up and installed and the list goes on and on.

Hybrid booster

Re: Finally Starting on #53

What parts are you still missing?

I still need the front brake booster/battery cover, lower engine cover that bolts to the cradle underneath, headlight mounts, gas tank, overflow bottle, correct spoiler, radiator fans, all the gauges, a steering wheel other than the dodge one that is currently in the car, and I'm sure some small bits and pieces. Most of this stuff I will be able to build myself or buy, I have gas tank dimension from johnny and just bought a tig welder so I'm going to start practicing with that and will eventually make my own gas tank and overflow bottle. The fiberglass parts are pretty flat and should be easy to make. I have a spoiler that is not the correct one for this body style but it will give me a starting point.

Looking for a picture of how the slave cylinder attaches to the transmission. I have a replacement cylinder but it just has a rod out of the end and nothing to attach it to the shaft/rod on the transmission.

Hybrid booster

Excited to see this! I will have my garage come spring time. Then it's game on for me too!

I'm going to have a bunch of wiring questions after looking things over briefly. I've found quite a few wires just hanging out. I'll get some pictures when I have time.

Garrett booster

Shot you some pics of the slave cylinder to your email.

Thanks, next question is how does the radiator mount in? The radiator I have has a long channel that goes across the top with two straps that go down on both sides that had something attached to the bottom at one time but has since rotted off. I cut the bolts off and knocked them out so I have the radiator free from the mount but I have no idea what this would have attached to.

Here's the mount I took off the radiator.

it is used off one of the crash test cars I believe and sat outside for quite a few years so the steel mount was rusted away. The radiator seems to be in decent shape. I'm guessing there is some sort of mount that bolts into the car and then this sandwiches the radiator in between.

Hybrid booster

On the red car Mine just had brackets on the bottom the bolted into the holes shown in the picture.

my car had an overflow tank inside the rear 1/4 panel on drivers side. As well as the one at the rear bulkhead.

I think all the gauges are still available from vdo. I saw a dash panel that goes around the gauges for a series 1 last time I was at Rossion.

The overflow tanks are off the shelf stuff from Jegs.

the fuel tanks were made locally, I assume someone has tried to contact them ? According to George from Mosler even when new a lot had leaks and needed sealing.

I'm guessing the radiator has some sort of a metal surround on it currently? mine is just a bare radiator right now, two end tanks and fins top and bottom. I have the piece pictured above but i'm guessing that the bottom half would have the brackets I need to build. I have a dash here for the car, just no gauges yet, I know johnny posted the part numbers for most of the gauges so those will be easy once I figure out what wires go to what, also the plastic overflow tank is present in the passengers rear quarter but I don't have the system high point tank with the pressure cap that goes up on the bulk head but do have johnny's old one to use as a template when I make a new one. Yes the gas tank company is long out of business. Also do the nipples on the radiator point up or down? I originally thought down but it has a pet---- opposite the nipple which makes me think it should be up?

Here's a pic of the radiator minus the bracket/surround

Hybrid booster

The radiator in the red car had tabs welded to the radiator. More significantly the pet ---- pointed down and the bleeder was on the inlet side which makes no sense. We drilled and tapped the outflow side to bled radiator.
    As to the upper overflow tank , George confirmed that there were multiple different shapes and sizes and all were purchased from Jegs.
    When he restored his series 1 he just bought a new one. I did same on the red car.
    The overflow on both of mine are on drivers side.

Hybrid booster

This was replacement tank.

Ok I started looking at wiring and have some pictures to hopefully get some answers to where these wires and plugs go.

The first one is at the rear of the motor near where the oxygen sensor wires go in. they both look to be black wires and don't appear to be wires from the factory dodge harness.

Next is a grey/black wire near the computer, I should be able to trace this one out as it looks to be a factory dodge harness wire. I looks like it might attach to the brown wire in the pic after but I'm not sure.

Next is by the oil pressure sender block

were some of the stock sensor wires left off in favor of the aftermarket gauges? The stock low pressure switch is hooked up and then there is a blue wire attached to a sensor in the end of the block and then a yellow wire that I'm guessing would have hooked up to the missing sensor in then block. Also the sensor that goes into the front of the head has a non-stock wire attached to it. I didn't take a picture of that.

Then up front there are a few wires that look to be the same colors as the harness attached to the speed sensor adapter out back so I'm guessing these go to the VDO Speedometer.

Then there is a six wire plug that looks similar to a trailer plug style connector.

Next are wires that look to be the stock dodge heater controls plugs

Not sure on this one, Maybe headlight module for a daytona?

This looks like it would go through the bulkhead and ground to the motor and possibly be for the fuel pump?

turbo addict

This is when a finished car parked next to your's to compare sure would be nice!
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Yeah definitely! I think I'll start making a list so that the next time I'm by a running car I can take some notes. I could always take a trip down by Hearld and look at his if I absolutely had to.

Garrett booster

I have at least 12 of these .
    One has your name on if you want it.
    I know it is far off but any parts will help.
    If anyone else wants one let me know.
    I picked them up on a salvage trip to the old Mosler.
    I like the hurricane symbol in the CONSULIER name.
    I wanted to install one in #44 but for the amount of work it will take I am OK with the one there now.

Quote Originally Posted by GTP#44 View Post
    I have at least 12 of these .
    One has your name on if you want it.
    I know it is far off but any parts will help.
    If anyone else wants one let me know.
    I picked them up on a salvage trip to the old Mosler.
    I like the hurricane symbol in the CONSULIER name.
    I wanted to install one in #44 but for the amount of work it will take I am OK with the one there now.
    12 of what? I'm assuming a picture didn't attach right.

Spent a good portion of the day installing a 50 amp outlet in the garage for my new welder. I'll have to pick up some aluminum scrap to start practicing on before ordering up the material for the pressure tank and fuel cell. I may work on installing the shifter cables tomorrow. Does the long cable go all the way around the passengers side of the motor?

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast