Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rocker arm falling off

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: Rocker arm falling off

I've been messing with my tbi-piston van a bunch lately and it only seems to pick up knock counts ~2 psi earlier than stock turbo pistons on an otherwise stock setup. That's with a fairly serious compression ratio increase. With stock overboost in place I don't think it would ever even break. I don't think a shaved head is really worth worrying about unless you are trying to make serious power.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

The shim works fine, used one in my TIII with lots of boost, held just fine. Copper spray and bolt her down.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Ok so 1 week in service and all hell broke loose this morning... Engine was bucking and breaking up, cut off twice. Hoping its just the hall effect deciding to be a POS.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

I've used a copper shim on my spirit for 20 years. Never blew a headgasket on that car and used to run 25psi all the time racing, and have also on the street. The can be mounted above or below the headgasket, see it both ways. I had mine on the block side.
    Or, if you are doing studs, you can just get one of those thicker Cometic gaskets, if it works out to be the correct thickness for the compression you want.

From your other update about the lower compresdion in one cylinder, i wonder if you have cracked one of your rings?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Not to count anything out yet but I am thinking #4 does have a broken top ring, its been suspect for awhile now and with the higher compression on 1-3 now its just that much more sensitive to the difference in cylinder pressures. They were expensive but those ARP studs are awesome.

What's happening with this? I missed the thread originally, but now curious as to what the issue is? Good luck with it though!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

The current issue ~I think~ is the now higher compression on 1-2-3 from the head getting resurfaced and the lower compression on 4 because of a suspected broken ring is causing an in-balance and the engine cannot compensate when placed under certain conditions like stop and go driving and extended idle time.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    The current issue ~I think~ is the now higher compression on 1-2-3 from the head getting resurfaced and the lower compression on 4 because of a suspected broken ring is causing an in-balance and the engine cannot compensate when placed under certain conditions like stop and go driving and extended idle time.
    At 313,00, are you thinking of a rebuild?

It was already redone at 260. Then this little hiccup occurred and its just dragged out... Got a ball hone and a leakdown tester. Along with two sets of moly rings and 2 sets of rod bearings. Worst case I'll re-do all 4 pistons if the leakdown is bad, otherwise just #4 and keep on racking the miles up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12