Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MPFI N/A Horizon

Garrett booster

MPFI N/A Horizon

My brother and I started rebuilding an engine for my 87 Horizon this spring. The car has never run the greatest and always sounded horrible in the higher RPM's. It has always leaked oil too. So the Friday before Labor day the car started running even worse and was leaking oil more than normal. I lost a half quart driving 30 miles. Turns out that one of the bolts holding the fuel pump on backed out and was missing. My brother and I have talked about doing MPFI with Turbo I electronics and decided to give it a try. It now has an 84 block with 88 SMEC electronics in it.

The old engine.

The rebuilt engine on the stand.

Engine in the car.

How it is sitting right now.
    Last edited by 1986GLH; 09-17-2010 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Wrong pic

turbo addict

Re: MPFI N/A Horizon

Interesting. What are you doing for a calibration?
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    Interesting. What are you doing for a calibration?
    Just going to use the stock 88 T1 calibration for now.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 1986GLH View Post
    Just going to use the stock 88 T1 calibration for now.
    1 bar map? If so its going to be rich. If you go to the 2 bar it might be lean. Call up rob or use a AFPR.

Something I wanted to do for a MPG monster.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

I'm very interested to see how this turns out and runs. Will be doing something very similar to my dd Shadow someday when the stars and bank account align to let me do everything I want to do to really make a strong n/a engine.

I believe the potential of a really dialed in and built mpfi n/a 2.2/2.5 is alot more than most people are willing to think it is.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Run the stock turbo 2 bar and don't go to WOT, it will run just fine or get it recalibrated or find a flex fuel computer.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Get a narrowband afr gauge (close enough for N/A work) or tap it with a voltmeter temporarily for tuning purposes and see if it goes super rich at WOT. If it does, i think the easiest thing to do might be a 'Map Clamp' i.e. limiting the voltage coming out of the map sensor so that the computer never 'sees' 0 vacuum. That can be done with zener diode just like people used to do to get around the overboost shutdown. Although, i dont know how that affects the computer's BARO reading.. If you use an AFPR it will lower the pressure EVERYWHERE, i.e. at idle and midrange so it might cause the car to idle or drive bad before it goes into closed loop. I biult my own AFPR out of a log-motor FPR though, so it can be done almost free if you have the tools.

So is this a low compression turbo motor? I hope not.. because they barely move without boost. The tbi motor is MUCH stronger than an off-boost turbo motor.

Also, unaclocker built an NA mpfi rampage at one point and got it to do 42mpg highway (5spd of course) but he was running it on megasquirt and i dont know how much of that MPG was based off the tuning he did with megasquirt vs what it would do on a stock cal.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

It goes super rich, when I lost my turbo, I drove around, it was fine except when I hit wot, it would go pig rich and bog badly,

Agreed on tricking the computer so it never see's WOT.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

It is a 2 bar map. Won't it only get rich if the Map is seeing boost? When my GLH wasn't boosting right it ran fine at WOT. It was only getting boost at 4k rpms and under that there was no boost and it ran fine.

It is a 2 bar map. Won't it only get rich if the Map is seeing boost? When my GLH wasn't boosting right it ran fine at WOT. It was only getting boost at 4k rpms and under that there was no boost and it ran fine.
    WOT is preprogrammed so it doesn't care if boost is present, it dumps a preset amount of fuel. 4000 rpm isn't the factor, its your right foot.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

How about a zeiner diode for the TPS? Think that might help?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Doing it on the TPS would get around any BARO read problems (which i might have made up..) but i dont know if the computer only uses MAP or TPS or a combination of both to determine when to go open-loop. If limiting the TPS signal keeps it from going to open loop when you floor it that should do the trick.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Thinking about it some more, this may not be a good solutuion, depending on what fuel and ignition the engine needs at WOT.

Ideally, the best solution would be a custom cal.

Not knowing much about building calibrations, is it possible to simply take the Mexican or Flex fuel SBEC tables and put them into a SMEC chip?

Also, is it possible to get a TBI computer to fire 4 injectors?
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Garrett booster

Doesn't the computer determine how much fuel to inject based on what the map sensor is reading? Yes at WOT there is a predetermined amount of fuel but it is based on what the map sensor is reading. When you adjust the boost the amount of fuel is also adjusted. So when it isn't seeing boost it shouldn't be adding a lot more fuel. Yes it may run a little rich at WOT these cars always do.

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Thinking about it some more, this may not be a good solutuion, depending on what fuel and ignition the engine needs at WOT.

Ideally, the best solution would be a custom cal.

Not knowing much about building calibrations, is it possible to simply take the Mexican or Flex fuel SBEC tables and put them into a SMEC chip?

Also, is it possible to get a TBI computer to fire 4 injectors?
    Its easy to take out the fuel.

Doesn't the computer determine how much fuel to inject based on what the map sensor is reading? Yes at WOT there is a predetermined amount of fuel but it is based on what the map sensor is reading. When you adjust the boost the amount of fuel is also adjusted. So when it isn't seeing boost it shouldn't be adding a lot more fuel. Yes it may run a little rich at WOT these cars always do.
    Not really, WOT is preset, that's it, good night. When it see's it, it starts dumping fuel, it probably does use a bit of the MAP but it will go pig rich at WOT without boost. Tweaking the cal is easy to fix that.

The transition from vacuum to boost, in my understanding, is the hardest area of the MAP to tune for. Weird things happen there.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post

Not really, WOT is preset, that's it, good night. When it see's it, it starts dumping fuel, it probably does use a bit of the MAP but it will go pig rich at WOT without boost. Tweaking the cal is easy to fix that.
    Huh? The computer needs SOME input to calculate fueling. It uses MAP sensor input primarily for this at WOT.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Huh? The computer needs SOME input to calculate fueling. It uses MAP sensor input primarily for this at WOT.
    Ok, probably alot more but still, it see's WOT and goes into a fixed fuel mode, Rob can add more info.

As for fixing it, its not that hard, you simply rescale the fuel maps, sure it might not BE bang on, but should be pretty close.

Garrett booster

My point exactly! So whether it reads no boost or 13 lbs of boost the computer will adjust it based on what the MAP sensor is seeing.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    We will all find out hopefully after this weekend what the cal does as we should have it all together. We will hook up a dvom and check if if gets rich at wot. If that is a problem then we either need a custum cal of just stay off wot as this is a dd not a race car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast