Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shadow Electrical Shakedown

Shadow Electrical Shakedown

Thought I'd start a new thread for this.
    You've probably all seen my Shadow for sale. Decided to try and sort out these electrical issues for myself. I have seen some areas already where the engine harness casing is cracked and exposed, potentially groundig to the chassis. Given this, rather than chasing bullshit all over, and strugglibg to get at things, I'm starting this out by pulling the whole harness, cleaning it all up, repairing all issues and then putting it back in.
    Wish I had some amazing progress to report but the wife got sick and I had to pull double duty this weekend. I did manage to sneak out for 30 minutes though and pull a few plugs with two jobs, an hour commute and a 9 month old, I have a feeling the only way to get this done will be 30 minutes here and there.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: Shadow Electrical Shakedown

That being the case, one of the difficult things might be remembering where you left off. Or where things might go.
    Take some detailed pics of how things route, like under and over and around certain things. Might be something you'll need to review when putting things back together.
    Good luck with the endeavor!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Yeah, definitely taking pictures.
    I also picked up some tags with a loop of string and am numbering each connector and where it goes. So when I pull a plug from a relays, I tag the connector and the relay with the number 3 (for example)

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Another very smart idea.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Made some progreas today on getting this thing out. There's some custom setup stuff, I'll have to contact the builder about

I know the blue thing (I think he called it a ford something or other) is for the battery relocation (to the trunk). The little black layout is running into the firewall, probably gauges.

Kind of a mess

Its because of stuff like this that I have decided to pull the harness. Who knows how many little areas are exposed like this, so I figure might as well pull it, clean it, and make it look nice and clean under there

turbo addict

That exposed ground wire looks like every turbo Dodge I have seen other than that bolt should be tight to get a good ground. As long as the wire isn't broken. The blue thing is probably a starting relay

The bolt was tight, I started loosening it, then stopped to snap a pic

Hybrid booster

That blue canister is for sure a starter solenoid (functions as a relay), off an older Ford. Unsure what the bus bar is for. Maybe a power source for aftermarket gauges.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCanadian007 View Post
    That blue canister is for sure a starter solenoid (functions as a relay), off an older Ford. Unsure what the bus bar is for. Maybe a power source for aftermarket gauges.
    That sounds familiar. I dunno if you can see the connections that were already disconnected from the terminal on the right. There are three. I am fairly certain they connect to the battery in the trunk. Or at least one of them...
    Pretty sure the bar is for the gauges like you said.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by SactoShadow View Post
    That sounds familiar. I dunno if you can see the connections that were already disconnected from the terminal on the right. There are three. I am fairly certain they connect to the battery in the trunk. Or at least one of them...
    Pretty sure the bar is for the gauges like you said.
    Yeah, looks like power from battery (red),power lead to engine and components (black) and the 3rd to the starter soleniod.

Hybrid booster

i would seriously consider rewiring the items that go to that buss bar, i see see no fusing there which is a fire hazard especially going through that hole in the firewall with no grommet.
    you're on the right track with pulling your harness and totally refurbish it. i would say about half of the driveability issues these cars have now is related to poor or improperly modified wiring. if you really wanted to go all out i would buy all new connectors and pins and re-terminate the whole harness

Was able to steal away some time. Harness is almost out, looks like I just need to crawl under abd disconnect the blinkers and fog lights, disconnect the fuel pressure regulator (harness is run under underneath it) and disconnect from the firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by crusty shadow View Post
    i would seriously consider rewiring the items that go to that buss bar, i see see no fusing there which is a fire hazard especially going through that hole in the firewall with no grommet.
    you're on the right track with pulling your harness and totally refurbish it. i would say about half of the driveability issues these cars have now is related to poor or improperly modified wiring. if you really wanted to go all out i would buy all new connectors and pins and re-terminate the whole harness
    The wires to the buss bar are going through the factory grommet. Along with the wire harness. I need to look closer but I am hoping they are hooked into the fuse box under the dash.

Was able to steal away some more time to myself today down to two major things holding in the harness. The plugs on the blinkers/fog lights (didnt want to wheel out the jack, garage is by the babys window, shes asleep and its loud rolling on the driveway). And the harness under the dash.

I poked around under there but couldnt tell how to disconnect it. Can I reach back and up and get it or do I have to pull the dash?

Progress pic. Help keep me going guys! Its a snails pace, but I figure if I keep plugging away I will eventually get it done.
    Also been researching what I'm doing. Looking into rewrapping this and picked up some scotch 3m electrical tape. Read both 33 and 88 were good so I grabbed one of each. Any thoughts? They seem similar except for thickness.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

I'm assuming there is a 8/10mm head bolt that keeps the harness together at the firewall. It's in the middle of the connector, unscrew that and it will come apart. Thats how my Lbody is, P could be different.

Oooh I'll take a peek tomorrow, that would be sweet.

turbo addict

shadows don't have a 50pin bulkhead plug,they have but a bunch of small ones you get to unplug under the dash and fish out the firewall.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Seriously, how the hell do you get those plugs undone? I pulled the seat for more room, but can barely even get my hand up there. I am really tempted to cut them all and wire in a connector right nefore the firewall.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

They'll all come out. Once you get good at it the process is fairly easy. The grommet will push out to the engine side and everything will pull through the hole.

I got the grommet out, but the connectors to he dash wont budge, do they have clips? I cant see under there

While pulling the rest of the harnesa, I'm starting to reconsider whether I need to pull it. The majority actually looks pretty good. The bulbs for the blinkers/fogs are pinched in by the intercooler and aren't coming out without removing the front clip. I 'm starting to think I would be better off reconnecting and trying to troubleshoot as is. Leaving everything slightly untucked for ease of access.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast