Thread: Turbo porting question.

turbo addict

Turbo porting question.

I'm working on heavily modding a stock SRT4 turbofold. I've got it all cut apart and was blown away on how small the turbine outlet is. Its super tiny and because of the casting it is actually D shaped. Is this something I can port? I'm replacing the elbow with something much larger then stock. I know I can at least make it round and plan on doing that. But what about increasing the size of the hole from the 1.5" it currently is to say 2"? (Eyeballing sizes here) To be clear I'm talking about porting the turbine housing outlet all the way back to the wheel. But I'm afraid this will mess with how the turbo works. If I opened it up to 3" I don't know if it would even spin as there really wouldn't be much of a housing anymore lol. Also what about keeping it the same size but instead if it being straight like I_I porting it to a \_/ ? I'm guessing I should probably be leaving it alone but if I can port it, now is the time to do it before I weld it back together.

turbo addict

Re: Turbo porting question.

I'm not putting you down, just curious why you're putting such effort into the stock turbofold?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

A lot of people weld a larger elbow between the turbine outlet and where the downpipe bolts to. My only question is whether any of the people who made 370whp with a 'big wheel stocker' did it with an unmodified manifold, because if that's the case I probably wouldn't spend 10 seconds of my own time modifying it. If I wanted more than 370whp I'd go to a completely different frame turbo anyway.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

If you're going to do anything, do the \_/ shape with a 7* taper. Whenever people who know what they're talking about mention opening things up with flow in mind that's the number they cite.

turbo addict

Modding it for the same reason you mod anything. Make it go faster! Think of what I'm doing as the same thing as swapping one of our cars to a 3" SV. It just has to be welded together instead of bolting. What I'm doing is a little different the the normal turbofold mods, should flow much better. A lot of guys don't want to do all the work to go big turbo or have the headaches that go with it. With my mani and a BWS your looking under 1k for a good upgrade when a basic big turbo kit is 1600.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Conventional T3 flange manifolds are pretty cheap on eBay. I wouldn't spend too much time on the turbofold.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Conventional T3 flange manifolds are pretty cheap on eBay. I wouldn't spend too much time on the turbofold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    A lot of people weld a larger elbow between the turbine outlet and where the downpipe bolts to. My only question is whether any of the people who made 370whp with a 'big wheel stocker' did it with an unmodified manifold, because if that's the case I probably wouldn't spend 10 seconds of my own time modifying it. If I wanted more than 370whp I'd go to a completely different frame turbo anyway.
    Heavily modified manifolds. Similar to what I am doing. It does seem odd to mod the stockers but for some reason staying stock turbo is a big thing in the SRT community. Going "big turbo" is expensive, no matter how you do it. Manis and turbos can be had somewhat cheap. But the other little pieces to make it work add up. You also give up spool. There seems to be pride in staying stock turbo. There are a few guys chasing and constantly breaking the stock turbo record. I believe its currently somewhere in the high tens... Those guys could have easily swapped to a big turbo and been deep into the tens without half the work.

I think its a little bit like racing minivans...

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    Heavily modified manifolds. Similar to what I am doing. It does seem odd to mod the stockers but for some reason staying stock turbo is a big thing in the SRT community. Going "big turbo" is expensive, no matter how you do it. Manis and turbos can be had somewhat cheap. But the other little pieces to make it work add up. You also give up spool. There seems to be pride in staying stock turbo. There are a few guys chasing and constantly breaking the stock turbo record. I believe its currently somewhere in the high tens... Those guys could have easily swapped to a big turbo and been deep into the tens without half the work.

I think its a little bit like racing minivans...
    It's a popular practice in all automotive communities it seems. If you can't be THE fastest, you have to find some way of "handicapping" yourself and be the fastest with it. Internet forum signature lines are full of them.

Fastest stock turbo
    Fastest with stock clutch
    Fastest stock ECU
    Fastest with full interior
    Fastest at over 3000ft elevation.
    Fastest of a particular color.

Honestly, I see no downside to going with a reasonably sized "bigger" turbo. It's much easier to make power, of course. But with the SRT-4's in particular, I think the OE style turbo is actually TOO responsive, and driveability actually improves a bit with higher boost threshold at part throttle.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    It's a popular practice in all automotive communities it seems. If you can't be THE fastest, you have to find some way of "handicapping" yourself and be the fastest with it. Internet forum signature lines are full of them.

Fastest stock turbo
    Fastest with stock clutch
    Fastest stock ECU
    Fastest with full interior
    Fastest at over 3000ft elevation.
    Fastest of a particular color.
    I like this.

Please add

Fastest with stock block
    Fastest on tightest budget
    Fastest with no cash

to the list.

turbo addict

What's really funny is the current "stock turbo" current record holder has thousands of dollars in carbon fiber parts. Even the doors are carbon fiber. Tons of money has been spent to make the car as light as possible. But he must be doing something right as he IS the fastest...

I'm looking at selling these modded manifolds for right around $300. So about as much as a 3" S/V. Should have good gains and bolts on with no fab in a Saturday. I can see why its a desirable upgrade.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    I like this.

Please add

Fastest with stock block
    Fastest with no cash

to the list.
    Heck, for that matter you may as well add these:

Fastest while wearing women's underwear
    Fatestest with a bad haircut
    Fastest while chewing gum

Now as far as the plan to mod the turbofold, what was the Mopar stage manifold? I remember seeing one that looked like it had a much larger outlet cast in.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post

Now as far as the plan to mod the turbofold, what was the Mopar stage manifold? I remember seeing one that looked like it had a much larger outlet cast in.
    The Stage 3 turbofold larger turbine and compressors. It actually used a larger "family" of Mitsu turbo. People sink tons of time and money into those as well. Certainly they are better than stock, but I still don't get the allure of the OE turbofold design when cheaper and better options are available in the aftermarket.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I like those lists a lot better than:

No activity in the community
    etc etc etc

Im not against the elbow mod, but I think if someone has maxed out a BWS without doing the elbow mod, it's a dubious use of time and energy. Just like everything else we do to old Dodges.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
    I like this.

Please add

Fastest with stock block
    Fastest with no cash

to the list.

Quickest stock auto trans Supra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Hs...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Hs...ature=youtu.be
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

turbo addict

How the heck did they pass tech with no roll cage?

No, auto trans isn't stock.

It is the factory automatic transmission that came with a Supra (just beefed up internals).
    That's like saying my engine is stock, other than the beefed up pistons, rods, crank, valves, etc...
    Last edited by tryingbe; 02-17-2016 at 11:26 PM.

Hybrid booster

Like this?

https://www.sdkmotorsports.com/produ...cat=106&page=1

edit: Ignore my post haha. Not what you were asking.