Thread: Vacuum pump

Hybrid booster

Vacuum pump

Has anyone ever installed a small vacuum pump to create vacuum for brakes, hvac controls and cruise control instead of relying on the engine vacuum? Especially for times when you are in boost? My car won't hold cruise once you get into boost and I can only imagine it's because there isn't enough vacuum. I've had times when the hvac doors would move under boost as well.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Vacuum pump

How long are you in boost?

There are one way check valves between the engine and vacuum operated controls to hold vacuum, and prevent those systems from seeing boost. Could be that one or all are bad.

I had that issue with my Daytona when I first bought it. I bought the GM check valve, and fixed my issue. DO NOT buy the Dorman replacement, it will not hold up to boost. The GM ones are available on ebay for about $10,

Hybrid booster

I've checked all mine and they don't seem to leak. But like I said, the cruise won't hold speed once in boost, which is pretty much up every hill around here. The HVAC thing is rare, but it does happen from time to time. Holding vacuum and having enough vacuum to change positions are two different things.

turbo addict

a vacum resivoir from the wrecker's would be much cheeper than a pump

ford used them in the 70's and 80's in a lot of stuff they built

add a known good check valve and you should be good I'd think - unless you have a small leak somewhere that's the actual cause of the issue

turbo addict

Dodge started using vacuum reservoirs in the early '90's as well. Some V6 cars got a "box" looking one by the battery, I know Spirits and such got a "canister" looking one up by the brake booster. Of course old Ford trucks used that giant "ball" (imports used similar things as well).

You could also just hook up a Mighty-Vac in the car...start pumping when cruise goes away! LOL

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

You need to plumb in the factory ejector setup to ensure vacuum under boost. I can climb from 1500 ft to over 7500 ft and the cruise works perfect. Most people throw that part of the vacuum system away because they don't understand how it works. Put it back in with the correct check valves and your problems are solved without the complexity of a pump.

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCRT View Post
    You need to plumb in the factory ejector setup to ensure vacuum under boost. I can climb from 1500 ft to over 7500 ft and the cruise works perfect. Most people throw that part of the vacuum system away because they don't understand how it works. Put it back in with the correct check valves and your problems are solved without the complexity of a pump.
    I only have one port on my turbo and I put that on myself for my grainger valve. To hook it all back up the way it was from factory I would have to drill and tap another port on the turbo. And it's not very thick material.

My Dakota has a vacuum canister in wiper cowl area. Sounds like it could be a feasible option, but I'd have to figure out mounting location for it. Any ideas what year Spirits had them to search?