Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boost Button T/SBEC Stage II cal

Mitsu booster

Boost Button T/SBEC Stage II cal

I'm using a Boost Button flash module in my sbec ecu. Trying to use the Boost Button T/SBEC Stage II 2.2 ATX v4 as is but having a problem with the engine starts breaking up around 3000 rpms and completely cuts out above 4000. I tried several different T/SBEC v4 and v4.1 cals and they do the same thing. It runs fine when I flash back to my stock cal. Anyone have a solution? Is there newer version I could try?

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: Boost Button T/SBEC Stage II cal

https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Mitsu booster

I need a cal for a SBEC 2.2 ATX, I was using a SBEC Stage II v4 cal. I tested the A596 cal from the above download but it did the same thing.

Codes?
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Mitsu booster

It has a code "ff".

Mitsu booster

I also noticed the charge temp sensor doesn't read properly on the scanner. On MPScan it reads -26 and my snap on scanner it reads 261, plus it never changes, the voltage seems to be ok on the scanner, just the temp is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by beaglemaster View Post
    It has a code "ff".
    Not sure what that means.

Does it light the 'check engine' light? Do you know how to flash the trouble codes out to the 'check engine' light? Those are the codes I'm asking about.

- - - Updated - - -

I also noticed the charge temp sensor doesn't read properly on the scanner. On MPScan it reads -26 and my snap on scanner it reads 261, plus it never changes, the voltage seems to be ok on the scanner, just the temp is wrong.
    Probably, the MP Scan scale is wrong. The issue is, the SMEC and SBEC have different scales because the sensor is internally scaled in the SBEC, but not the SMEC. But, MP Scan uses the same scale for both. We need to define different scales for them.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Mitsu booster

No, there are no codes using the check engine light method or using my Snap On scanner other than the ff code when I use the scanner. I clear the code and it comes back. The code description in the scanner just calls it an undocumented code.
    Last edited by beaglemaster; 01-27-2016 at 12:37 AM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

what is the voltage when the snap on reads 261? mpscan is set up to with 0 volts being 261 and 5 volts being -21.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Mitsu booster

Right now it's reading 2.05v 261deg. on the Snap On and 3.3v -21deg on MPScan. I unplugged the sensor and it reads 4.95v 261deg on the snap on, no change on the MPScan. It reads properly on both with my stock cal.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

what does it read on the stock cal? also, the snap on says 261 for both 2.05 and 4.95 volts?
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Mitsu booster

That's correct on the Snap On, the voltage changes but the temp doesn't. I reflashed my stock cal and right now it reads 3.3v and 48deg, close to coolant temp on the SnapOn. MPScan doesn't work with my stock cal. I can see like Shelgame was saying the charge temp isn't working for the sbec.

I believe the problem I'm having maybe in the turbonator code. It runs real nice driving around until I get on it, it feels like it hits a rev limiter around 4k, as soon a I lift it's ok. I tried turning off all rev limit switches and raising them all to the max but no change. I rescaled the map and inj. on the stage iii and stage iv cal and tried them also but it still does it. I was using a stage ii v3 cal before this, it didn't have this problem but I had other issues with it and couldn't use it, then I found this newer version hoping those problems were fixed and they were, just have another problem now.
    Last edited by beaglemaster; 01-27-2016 at 04:57 AM.

Mitsu booster

I made a little progress today. I tried all the v4.1 2.2 cals as is and all 3 hit the rev limit at 4k. Went back to the Stage II cal a turned of the launch control flag even though I hadn't chosen a switch to activate it. It doesn't hit the rev limiter now but still miss fires slightly starting at 2500 rpm and gradually gets worse in neutral and while driving gets bad enough the ce light comes on and the engine cuts out till I lift the throttle. Rechecked for codes, still no codes. I tried turning off anything launch control or anti-lag related but no change. It's better but not fixed, I can accelerate somewhat harder now.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Not sure what's going on. Seems like my launch control code isn't working. I ran this code in my race car for the past 2 years, though, and don't have this issue.

I will say that the launch control does NOT work on a switch. For some reason, the switch state is not checked correctly. So, if you have the launch control on, and set to turn on with a switch, that won't work.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Mitsu booster

Ok I get that. I didn't want the launch control so I didn't select a switch, I see now it was probably coming on since the mph was set at 10mph so turning it off by unchecking it at least leaves me with just one issue to figure out.

When I was running the stage ii v3 the engine ran great but every 8.1 miles it would cut out, checking the suppress emr flag wouldn't stop it, the v4 doesn't have that problem but I can't find any difference between the two that would be causing the engine to be breaking up above 3k.

Mitsu booster

Been playing with this all week. I start with a 2.2 atx stage ii cal, uncheck the launch control flag, rev the engine slowly,it starts to misfire around 3000 rpm,it gets worse the higher you go then stalls out at 5000, won't rev higher.

I went into the AdvanceFromRPM2, set it to 18deg strait across, then went to AdvanceFromMAPWarmPart and set it to 12deg all across so it has 30deg total and won't advance or retard part throttle. Set rev limiter, launch control rpm and anti-lag rpm to 8160 so they should not come on.

Using a timing light to verify it only has 30deg advance do the same a before slowly increase throttle, it starts to misfire at 3k. it doesn't stall out now and revs to 6k but misfires badly. Past about 5k the timing retards about 6deg then my timing light intermittently goes out like its not firing then the timing mark starts jumping all around till it disappears and an oval mark appears. This mark is about 70deg btdc. The timing is erratic when it's misfiring.

I have a 2.2 with a factory intercooler with air charge sensor, and a 41te trans. I need to use the SBEC ecu in order for the trans controller to work. I've been using a 596 vnt ecu for the last 10 years and would like an auto trans calibration so the idle is more compatible. I also am working on a new 2.5 engine to install once I get calibration issue figured out.

Shelgame, I know you've been using this cal with no problems, I even tried a 2.5 atx cal, there seems to be some issue with the v4.0 and v4.1 SBEC cals. Do you still do custom cals? I thought I saw on your website that you could e-mail a cal but I can't find it now. I don't need all the extras just able to make some changes like scaling for map or injectors and change it to a 2.5 later.

I just recompiled all of the SBEC stage cals with the latest .asm (4.1) re-download them and try again. I also noticed, there were 2 different DL folders for the SBEC. One of them had older templates in it than my latest.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Mitsu booster

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Mitsu booster

Unfortunately it still does it. Something changed when v3 was updated to v4, it fixed one problem I was having and caused another, it's got me beat.
    Last edited by beaglemaster; 02-02-2016 at 01:14 AM.

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Have you been able to resolve the EMR issue while running the v3 cal? I also tried selecting "Suppress EMR" and reset still happens about every 8.1 miles on a flashable SBEC.

I'm trying to compare the V3 code to the V4 (where EMR is referenced) but I really don't know what I'm looking at.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast