Thread: TII Radiator Qs

Hybrid booster

TII Radiator Qs

Is there any advantage to using a Shelby Daytona intercooled radiator over the intercooled Lbody radiator?

Size, flow difference?

This is for my 85 SC.

thanks,

RE

boostaholic

Re: TII Radiator Qs

G body is longer so I'm sure there is more volume. I believe it's two inches longer for the g body. Also g body does not have the heater hose nipple so you'd have to figure that part out too. Can be some interference with g body rad and large l body alternator I've heard.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Use a TI radiator and front mount intercooler for the best efficiency.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

I'd say don't bother with it. Sell it for money if you have one. Use the stock radiator instead.

My GLH overheats with the TII radiator and a/c on in the summer time.

My car keeps cool better with an aftermarket all aluminum radiator and bigger radiator fan.

Hybrid booster

Interesting, thank you everyone for the info.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I didn't like the T-II radiator with a front mount intercooler in my '85 T&C wagon. Mine overheated in the summer (110*) with the AC on. I went back to the original full size radiator with an AWIC and it runs nice and cool now.

All kinds of radiator blockage.

Very little radiator blockage with the AWIC heat exchanger.

turbo addict

I will throw my experience in with the TII radiator.

I ran one in my '89 LeBaron, turbo van, and my '88 Shelby Z. The only one to have a front mount was the Shelby Z. I never had an overheating issue with it, even on 20 minute stints on a road course. Now, I ALSO ran an oil cooler. I believe ALL turbo vehicles should have an oil cooler as the engine oil is responsible for more cooling of the engine than the coolant itself. So, front mount, oil cooler, A/C still installed...never had an overheat issue. I also had a '90 V6 fan on it (lower profile and moves a LOT of air) and the calibration I was running ran the fan more often than stock. I made sure that I had all of the air control fences in place as well so to make sure the radiator got the maximum amount of air it could.

In that application I was putting down 225hp to the wheels. Car was good for 100mph in the 1/4 and if I had a decent launch or slicks would easily have been a 13 second car. I don't really drag race, though.

Now, in my next iteration I will be using a larger radiator because I'm not convinced that the TII unit (even the TU aluminum one) can handle the amount of heat dissipation that will be needed for the power I intend to make.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I don't have A/C and my experience with the TII radiator in my 86 Daytona turbo Z is anytime I'm moving the water temp never goes above 195. I believe not having a A/C condenser is the biggest factor and second may be the hood vent.

One more tid bit, the 84-86 Daytona turbo Z front spoiler that closes off the area front between the front bumper and radiator support has two rubber 6"x6" flap doors in it that only allows air to flow up. I would love to know if Chrysler did this for cooling or was done for something else?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

turbo addict

those two flaps allow you to change the parking lamp bulbs that's all

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    those two flaps allow you to change the parking lamp bulbs that's all
    Now I feel stupid
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

In my Charger, I have an aftermarket stock replacement radiator, which I moved a few inches to the right to allow room for my intercooler piping to pass between the radiator and the support on the driver's side. It's very close to the alternator, but it works. Now initially I did have overheating issues with this setup, which I cured by making some aluminum ducts to direct more air towards the radiator, and more importantly modifying a fan from a V6 Spirit to fit the radiator. Now it stays plenty cool.

Or at least it did last time it ran, a year and a half ago . . .