Thread: 1986 Daytona CS-Parts

Garrett booster

1986 Daytona CS-Parts

Date: 15th January 2016
    Username: Jason89
    Full Name:
    City, State, Zip:
    Contact: (your choice of listing e-mail and phone. you must provide phone number via at least PM if potential buyer wants to verify.)
    Selling or Wanted Price: (any applicable merchant fees must be included in this and not in addition)

Description: I bought my son an 86 Daytona CS and he will need some interior parts. If anyone has any interior pieces like the liftgate rear panel in Black, the PRNDL trim plate, door weatherstrips (sunroof car), Tach or cluster. The car has the black stripes missing on one rear taillamp. Maybe someone removed the black stripes by mistake. Who knows. So he will look for a right rear taillamp or a sharpie marker lol.
    Let us know if anyone has anything or any contacts.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Jason89; 01-15-2016 at 07:21 PM.

Hybrid booster

Re: 1986 Daytona CS-Parts

I see the missing black on the tail lights all the time. My 86 is the same way, passenger side ... correct? An oddity I have never seen an answer for.

Garrett booster

Yeah its weird. The black is on the angled part only. And yes on the right side only.

You're close on the tail light Jason. Strip the black off ,then repaint by using black spray paint on a palet. dip an old marker tip in it and repaint the stripes. Spray a clear top coat. Mines lasted for 10 years now.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBRUDDA View Post
    You're close on the tail light Jason. Strip the black off ,then repaint by using black spray paint on a palet. dip an old marker tip in it and repaint the stripes. Spray a clear top coat. Mines lasted for 10 years now.
    Thank you.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I always thought someone replaced the right tailight with the wrong one?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0168.JPG 
Views:	251 
Size:	462.9 KB 
ID:	57175
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    I always thought someone replaced the right tailight with the wrong one?
    That is incredible. I agree I thought the same thing. What should I do? look for a right one with stripes or take off the stripes on the left.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I also need a hood louver...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I can restore them for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason89 View Post
    That is incredible. I agree I thought the same thing. What should I do? look for a right one with stripes or take off the stripes on the left.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I also need a hood louver...
    The tailight guy on the assembly line is probably one of those Monday morning drunks you hear so much about.

I'm just going to paint the stripes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

Garrett booster

There is a left and a right on ebay now and guess what. Yes the left one has the black stripes and the right does not. LOL...

This looks to be a 1986 auto show.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6622929883_9ba9c35eeb_b.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	356.4 KB 
ID:	57181
    But yes it does seem a lot of Daytona's the r/s taillights stripes are not painted on.
    I would love for my car to look that good!

The factory paint was very thin,and un sealed. So it got the worst of UV rays ,wind buffeting and biggest culprit.................car wash scrubbers! You may notice heavier wear on all the corners.

Best bet for weather stripping or door gaskets is the junkyard. Cut about a 1-2 inch chunk off your gasket to serve as a sample. When ya get to junkyard look for minivans .2 door coupes have very long door gaskets, which make them difficult to find. The sliding doors and rear hatches often have very similar gaskets to ours.And even if you found another Daytona it's 21-30 years old now the rubber will not remove well. Remove as much of the door sill and trim pieces first , to avoid snagging. Get it home stretch it out leave it set in a warm spot. Pinch the metal welting back together.When installing warmth helps immensely.Start at the bottom and work your way frontward and on around . Don't stretch it ! keep it relaxed. when you get around to the meeting spot , tuck all the tight corners again. You can cut door gasket with a tin snip on a diagonal. Fill in the round hollow with a piece of tubing of foam , and glue it with contact cement.
    Last edited by BIGBRUDDA; 01-19-2016 at 09:05 PM.

Garrett booster

Thank you

I have the right tail lamp 4174814 NOS (non-Turbo Z) and the right tail light lens 4321116 for the Turbo Z NOS also. Have lots of other NOS tail lenses and lamps for the 1984-86 G Bodies. For some reason just the red lens was serviced separately.
    www.arizonaparts.com