Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first Turbo Mopar -- 88 Lebaron !!!

Mitsu booster

My first Turbo Mopar -- 88 Lebaron !!!

Hey guys! Just found this site, and I'm excited about it!

I recently bought my first Turbo Mopar, a 1988 Lebaron with a 2.2 T1.

Got it for $500. 95,000 on the odometer, but the odometer has stopped. The P.O. says it quit about a year ago, he estimates 110k. Runs and drives pretty good from what I can tell so far! Haven't driven it a ton yet.

This is my first Turbo Mopar. In fact, also my first front wheel drive car. But NOT my first Mopar! I also have a 71 Dodge Charger with a 440 that I built in it. I converted it from an auto to a 4-speed, which I rebuilt as well. I also welded a replacement roof skin on this bad-boy.

I also have a 93 B150 van, which i converted from a 3.9 V6 with a 3spd 727 auto to a 5.9 V8 with an a518 overdrive 4spd auto.

The Herd:

So, mechanically I am pretty well versed, and I can do anything on a car as far as I am concerned.
    Right now all the Lebaron seems to need is a new power steering pump (current one leaks). And of course a good going-through. Any tips would be APPRECIATED!

Looking forward to posting more!
    -Sam

Hybrid booster

Re: My first Turbo Mopar -- 88 Lebaron !!!

Welcome aboard. Nice collection.
    '88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.

Mitsu booster

Woah dude, I just saw your signature.... You got any pics of that wild LeBaron?? I gotta know more!

Hybrid booster

Nice choice and nice fleet. I just picked up an '87 'Baron coupe to add to my B250 maxi and Plymouth "Turbo" pickup, lol Let me dig into my stash and I'll supply you with a company name and # that will be more then happy to charge you 'bout $32.50 ah piece for the two little plastic gears that will make your speedo happy again, Jer

Hybrid booster

Here's the build thread.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ing&highlight=

How did you wire the lockup and overdrive solenoids on the 518? I just run mine on toggle switches.
    '88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarneycars View Post
    Nice choice and nice fleet. I just picked up an '87 'Baron coupe to add to my B250 maxi and Plymouth "Turbo" pickup, lol Let me dig into my stash and I'll supply you with a company name and # that will be more then happy to charge you 'bout $32.50 ah piece for the two little plastic gears that will make your speedo happy again, Jer
    Wow, thank you man! That's the fix, huh? Not the adapter that goes into the trans, or anything like that?

Hybrid booster

Nope. One is the size of a lead pencil X3 and the other about 1/2 the diameter of the pencil. Just keep your tweezers handy and go slow, no big deal. I'mm lookin' for the info, Jer

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead24-7 View Post
    Here's the build thread.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ing&highlight=

How did you wire the lockup and overdrive solenoids on the 518? I just run mine on toggle switches.
    VERY cool man. You do great work.
    For the 518-- I wired the lockup to the computer, so it goes on and off automatically. The engine has to reach a certain temp, and it has to be going a certain speed to turn on. And, it turns off as soon as you let off the gas. And won't turn back on again until the throttle is cracked and the van is moving at like 40+ mph. For the overdrive, I just use a toggle switch. I like having total control of the overdrive. I LOVE my overdrive setup! I do 70mph at around 2000 rpm.

Hybrid booster

Thanks, much appreciated.

You're right about the O/D. With a 3:23 gear I run about 75@2K with the converter locked, very highway friendly. Without having a computer I just have to remember to unlock the converter, the O/D kicks itself out as you slow down.

You have any plans for your Lebaron?

Mitsu booster

Yeah, actually for the first few months of my swap I did the lockup on a toggle switch as well. Sometime you would slow down and forget to switch it off. I found it a little too much for all the city driving I did in NYC at that time.
    I have seen some adapters somewhere where guys were using vacuum switches I think to operate the lockup solenoid. Like the lockup would only come on during high-vacuum cruise conditions.

Plans for the LeBaron? Right now I just want it to be a reliable cruiser that gets more MPG than the 440 Charger or the 360 Van. Just a daily driver, really. I am interested in what people do for performance upgrades on a 2.2 T1 motor. I know I will not be able to leave well enough alone.

turbo addict

88 Lebaron for a reliable daily driver that's fun. Make sure it's a 5spd, Swap in a 523 if it's not with a 3.50 FDR. I'd drop the 2.2 block out and throw in a 89+ 2.5. Go to a 2 piece, ported exhaust manifold, S60 turbo and 3" exhaust. To make it run a Flashable SMEC from boost button with a wideband O2. Had this setup in my 87 Daytona, 34mpg around town, 40+ on the freeway. Fast enough at 13-14psi to run 13's on street tires. 2.0 Turbo GTI V'dubs would downshift 2 gears and I'd roll on it in 5th and still smoke them.

Hybrid booster

I guess it all depends on what you to spend, and how much work you want to do. You've got a driveline with 100+K on it, so slamming a bunch of boost to it isn't great for reliability. If it was mine, I'd plumb in a nice intercooler, and use a manual controller to bring the boost up just under the factory cut out (a little under 15psi). If you don't need the cat I'd loose it. Just doing that you'd be surprised how much better it will run.

Of course if you want to rebuild the engine and transmission, buy turbos and computers and all that then the skys the limit.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    88 Lebaron for a reliable daily driver that's fun. Make sure it's a 5spd, Swap in a 523 if it's not with a 3.50 FDR. I'd drop the 2.2 block out and throw in a 89+ 2.5. Go to a 2 piece, ported exhaust manifold, S60 turbo and 3" exhaust. To make it run a Flashable SMEC from boost button with a wideband O2. Had this setup in my 87 Daytona, 34mpg around town, 40+ on the freeway. Fast enough at 13-14psi to run 13's on street tires. 2.0 Turbo GTI V'dubs would downshift 2 gears and I'd roll on it in 5th and still smoke them.
    Well, it's a 3 speed auto and I don't really see swapping it to a manual. That's a ton more work than I want to put in to this car. Plus, the Charger is a stick, so I can get my shifting jollies there.
    So much of what you are saying is Greek to me "Swap in a 523 if it's not with a 3.50 FDR." I have NO clue what that means.
    I also don't know anything about boost really. Or swapping turbos.
    Your Daytona sounds AWESOME. I would love to get that kind of MPG and ET out of this thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead24-7 View Post
    I guess it all depends on what you to spend, and how much work you want to do. You've got a driveline with 100+K on it, so slamming a bunch of boost to it isn't great for reliability. If it was mine, I'd plumb in a nice intercooler, and use a manual controller to bring the boost up just under the factory cut out (a little under 15psi). If you don't need the cat I'd loose it. Just doing that you'd be surprised how much better it will run.

Of course if you want to rebuild the engine and transmission, buy turbos and computers and all that then the skys the limit.
    So, let me get this straight. Can you just plumb in an intercooler to the intake ducting and expect to get more power?
    Yes, I will be getting rid of the cat. I don't need it.
    As for the manual boost control, can you elaborate on that? Again, I am totally new to turbo cars. I am pretty good with a Holley carb though ;-)

Thanks guys! I really can't wait to learn more.

Hybrid booster

http://thedodgegarage.com/

Down the left side click on "turbo database" to learn the basics of these things. Yes, adding an intercooler will add some power. Really because it allows you to safely run more boost than without one. With a cheap manual boost controller (basically a ball and spring valve) you can run just shy of 15psi with the factory electonics. A performance computer is really a great upgrade as well though. It's not going to be especially fast with an automatic and the stock mitsubishi turbo, but it will wake up a LOT compared to how it sits.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

Hybrid booster

Start at www.thedodgegarage.com. It's a great site that has all the turbo Mopar basics and more.

There actually were a few factory intercooled Lebarons, but they're pretty rare. The J body Lebarons are very similar to the G body Daytonas, almost all of their mechanicals will interchange. There were plenty of intercooled Daytonas, so with a little searching, finding a factory intercooler setup for you car might not be too hard.

There are plenty of aftermarket manual boost contollers. Ranging from simple "Grainger" valves, to electronically adjustable ones. I'm sure somebody will offer up a link to their favorites.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by jenkins71 View Post
    Well, it's a 3 speed auto and I don't really see swapping it to a manual. That's a ton more work than I want to put in to this car. Plus, the Charger is a stick, so I can get my shifting jollies there.
    So much of what you are saying is Greek to me "[COLOR=#333333]Swap in a 523 if it's not with a 3.50 FDR." I have NO clue what that means.
    I also don't know anything about boost really. Or swapping turbos.
    Your Daytona sounds AWESOME. I would love to get that kind of MPG and ET out of this thing.
    There are different variations of the manual trans that the turbo cars got. The from earliest to latest was the 525, then the 520 and 555, then the 523 and 568. The 520 and 555 shared the same case as do the 523 and 568 trans. The 520 and 523 had varying final drive ratio's from 3.50 to 3.85. The 555 and 568 had 3.85 gears

Swapping the turbo's is pretty easy, reading the dodge garage link will help. Basically the Mitsubishi turbo you have on their now is small. Good for instant boost, bad for top end power as it chokes the motor badly. 87-89 intercooled cars had Garretts which are much larger but still on the small side for performance. The S60 or Super60 garrett that was developed for the Super60 chrysler turbo package is the largest garrett in the T3 family. With some exhaust work they're a great street turbo.

Getting ET out of the Auto is easy. Getting MPG out of it ISN'T. If you get 25 around town you're doing good. It's just too loose and too low geared for good MPG. If you lower the stall in the converter you kill the performance as it won't build boost as quickly, you raise it and now you're turning 4grand down the freeway.

So, let me get this straight. Can you just plumb in an intercooler to the intake ducting and expect to get more power?
    Yes, I will be getting rid of the cat. I don't need it.
    As for the manual boost control, can you elaborate on that? Again, I am totally new to turbo cars. I am pretty good with a Holley carb though ;-)

Thanks guys! I really can't wait to learn more.
    There are a million different ways to do this. You can find a stock 87-89 Daytona radiator/intercooler setup with all the factory hoses etc or you can branch out into the aftermarket. There's water/air setups from Frozenboost.com which the 600hp kit is killer. Or air/air units you can mount in the nose. DWH4784 has a killer front mount setup in his 91 Lebaron. I might be bias though, I installed it

10 degrees cooler is equal to 1hp. The Mitsu at 15psi is pumping huge amounts of heat. I've seen 315 on my charge temp off the scanner on my non-intercooled Omni GLH Turbo. The mitsu will be above that. So if you can cool the charge to 30 degrees or less above ambient say around 100 degrees after it passes through the i/c you've picked up 20hp. My 2500lb GLH ran 14.7 in the 1/4 at 15.5psi. My 3200lb intercooled Daytona when it was stock ran 14.4 at 15psi. My 2800 lb Auto New Yorker with a Daytona IC ran 14.3 at 14.5psi. So the i/c makes a huge difference.

It's all up to how fast you want to go and how much power you want to make. Like I said earlier the 2.5 with a 2 piece, bigger turbo and exhaust, and 5spd (I like the 523 best) is a great daily driver. If you're doing a motor, throwing the 5spd trans in while it's out is cake walk.

These cars are really plug and play so parts from all sorts of different body styles and years interchange.

I prefer the "grainger" valve manual boost controller. I think FWDPerfromance.com and Turbosunleashed.com both sell these types. I make my own by going down to grainger and telling them I want part # 5z763. I swap the ball and spring around because The Famous Gus Mahon did though I'm not sure why it matters. tap 2-3 threads of 1/4-20 into the ends, and screw some plastic barbs into the end and drill a .030 hole into the one on the WG actuator side to vent pressure so the WG shuts when it needs too.

http://www.gusmahon.org/index_main.htm gotta read that site too.

Mitsu booster

Thanks dudes !!!! Those look like awesome sites. I have been enjoying checking them out!!!
    So just to be clear, more boost PSI = more power? And boost feed positive pressure through all your vacuum lines?? Like I say, totally new to Turbo stuff.
    Also if anyone has a power steering pulley for my ZF pump (plastic reservoir) please let me know! I damaging my old one when I was trying to replace the pump. So I need a new pulley!!! Thanks guys. This site looks awesome.

turbo addict

Yes, more psi = more power as long as you can keep it cool and actually getting to the engine. With that 1 piece intake it'll start choking the motor off around 5200. It was made for maintanence and not for performance. Yes the vac lines see positive pressure as well. That's why they need to be either nylon or polyurethane. No silicone or rubber. The the lines balloon then the sensors don't see an accurate reading and you change all the fuel and spark settings calibrated in the computer for the rpm you're at. Turbo cars must have perfect boost/vac lines. Short as possible too.

Hybrid booster

I have a leaking ZF pump sitting out there in the parts pile, I'll see if I can get the pulley off without damaging it.

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by EaZyE426 View Post
    I have a leaking ZF pump sitting out there in the parts pile, I'll see if I can get the pulley off without damaging it.
    Oh my god, thank you man that would be amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

Just don't try to pull it off with a 3-jaw puller going through the circular holes! It'll bend the pulley. And don't try it around the V-grooves either!!! You'll bend it more. Ask me how I know!!! hahahah.
    I think you have to pull it with a special puller that goes around the lip on the "hub" of the pulley. If you don't have it, I'll buy the pulley with the leaky pump still on it, and see if I can't get a puller myself!!!! Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast