Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1.4l Garrett turbo

Hybrid booster

Re: 1.4l Garrett turbo

Seems like a Chrysler 200 with the 3.6 would be the way to go over a Dart IMO. I haven't seen them side by side, but both look great in person and in pictures. The Dart just doesn't have any powertrains I would get excited about....maybe they will eventually, one can hope at least.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by dwh4784 View Post
    Seems like a Chrysler 200 with the 3.6 would be the way to go over a Dart IMO. I haven't seen them side by side, but both look great in person and in pictures. The Dart just doesn't have any powertrains I would get excited about....maybe they will eventually, one can hope at least.

The new 200 with the 3.6 & 9 speed is impressively fast. I have a friend with one. The car is absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately, if you are over about 5'9" & 200 lb, you practically need to be a contortionist to get in it. Then once your in it, there is no head room. That totally blew it for me. To miss the mark that far on interior room is an absolute crime.

turbo addict

My coworker is about 5'10 and 250lbs and has no problems getting in and out of the 200. Another coworker is 5'9 and almost 300lbs and has no issues. I work with some fatties lol. One thing the dart has over the 200 is manual transmission. I refuse to buy vehicles with autotragics.

Hybrid booster

My wife is the issue there, she'll never figure out how to drive a stick. I have my LeBaron and there's just no way I can justify another car she can't/won't drive. The 200 would make a nice upgrade over her 18 year old gutless wonder Sentra by any measure though.
    1991 Chrysler Lebaron GTC convertible - a568 - 15psi FWD Stage 3, FMIC, TII Garrett turbo, two of the big ones

turbo addict

I won't teach my old lady how to drive stick on purpose.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Yeah I got lucky in that department; My wife has driven a stick the entire 16 years we have been together!

So when she fell in love with the Dart, I got to pick PT and 1.4l turbo with 6 spd manual was IT

Her 2013 Rallye has about 45,000kms on it now and has been Incredible. Great MPG when just driving around and Impressive to say the least when one plants it and puts it through the motions. (specially when you consider the displacement and weight of the car)

Not to mention it hasn't had a single issue and has never seen the inside of a dealership! (knock on wood)

I have been so impressed with that car that it almost shocks me to hear others that seem to have so many issues...........

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict

Darts aren't that bad. They had a few issues here and there but it was a completely new model with some completely new engines. I have only really seen 1 issue with the 1.4t. That was an engine I just replaced because it grenaded #3 piston. Unsure why exactly it did. That picture of the turbine wheel belonged to that engine. Probably the most common problem I see is the TCM dying on the dual dry clutch models. Think there is a recall on those now.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

So what's up with the dual clutch trans? Does it have a clutch pedal, or is it some kind of semi-auto something or other, kinda like what the Nissan GTR has?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by dwh4784 View Post
    Seems like a Chrysler 200 with the 3.6 would be the way to go

The problem is you're then looking at a 35k car for something the size of a Neon basically. I love the looks of them too but I can't justify that price for that size of a car. Hell our GC was only 5k more than that. Which get's you into a nice Charger if you want a 4 door car too.

Hybrid booster

I haven't looked a whole lot, but used they seem pretty reasonable. I see a 2012 on cl with under 50K miles for $10995 right now. Seen a few others under 15K that are low mileage also.

Edit, here you go. Could I do better than this at the price point? I'm a couple weeks from landing a major career upgrade, so have been on the lookout.
    https://spokane.craigslist.org/ctd/5392244087.html
    Last edited by dwh4784; 01-13-2016 at 02:24 AM.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    So what's up with the dual clutch trans? Does it have a clutch pedal, or is it some kind of semi-auto something or other, kinda like what the Nissan GTR has?
    I could be totally wrong, but doesn't the Ford Fiesta use the same thing? From how I understood it, you basically have two standard manual transmissions sitting side by side and it shifts seamlessly between the two. To the driver it's an automatic though 100%. Also sounds like they are dumbed down for the general public, i.e. no hard shifts.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

Yeah the DDCT was something I stayed Far away from. We planned on keeping the Dart for a Long time and the longevity of a manual trans vs an electronically controlled auto IMO was a no brainer.

Biggest reason to go manual was the simple fact that this was a small displacement turbo mtr. I Knew there would be No comparison from the driver control vs an auto. That, and an auto would just be boring in the Dart.

Manual = fun car to drive around

Auto = just another car

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

boostaholic

Room thing, manual thing, weight thing, power thing.. any 1 of those would X it off the list.

1.4 the sacrificial CAFE model so they can sell more V-8's?
    MinivanRider

turbo addict

The darts dual dry clutch transmission is extremely similar to the manual transmission. The main difference is that it has 2 clutches, 2 input shafts and hydraulicly operated gear selector forks. 1 clutch is attached to 1 input shaft which has even gears attached to it. The other clutch and input shaft has the odd number gears on it. It pre selects the next gear before it shifts. That way it just releases one clutch and the other one is already applied. That's why they shift so fast. It drives just like an automatic albeit not quite as smooth. You can't brake torque them though.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    I could be wrong but I thought SRT4's had a resonator? For a second I thought it had an aftermarket exhaust but the quality looked too good to be aftermarket.
    Yup they do have resonators. I had heard something to the effect that the Abarth was supposed to be equipped with a muffler, and some where, but because of early demand for it, muffler supplies ran low, so they came up with the unmuffled exhaust. I have nothing to back this up though. Just something I heard once. Maybe a step to butch the car some.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    The darts dual dry clutch transmission is extremely similar to the manual transmission. The main difference is that it has 2 clutches, 2 input shafts and hydraulicly operated gear selector forks. 1 clutch is attached to 1 input shaft which has even gears attached to it. The other clutch and input shaft has the odd number gears on it. It pre selects the next gear before it shifts. That way it just releases one clutch and the other one is already applied. That's why they shift so fast. It drives just like an automatic albeit not quite as smooth. You can't brake torque them though.
    So what does it do when you come to a stop? Electronically disengages both clutches? And engages one when you take off?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

So what does it do when you come to a stop? Electronically disengages both clutches? And engages one when you take off?

Check out this link: http://cars.about.com/od/thingsyoune...owDSGworks.htm

turbo addict

It disengages both clutches but selects 1st gear. When you let off the brake it will slip the 1 clutch to simulate the "creep" of a typical automatic.

boostaholic

yep and there is a very slight delay when you take off. almost feels like a high stall converter at first. Mine selects second gear to take off unless you really put your foot into it or you select manual or sport mode.

boostaholic

So those with the 1.4t you havent seen any problems with them?Im looking to replace my 09 Honda Fit which has been stone cold reliable in the past year but is a slow turd.I found a good deal on a 13 Dart SXT with a 6spd.Buying something I have never worked on at a independent shop kind of scares me a bit.http://www.brooksautogroup.com/Vehic...-PA/2683536623

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast