Thread: To paint or not to paint fuel tank?

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

To paint or not to paint fuel tank?

After many years l'm slowly getting the Daytona back together. I brought a Spectra Premium fuel tank and straps from Rock Auto. Should I paint it, paint it with Zinc, or leave it bare? My car will probably not see any more New England winters.
    Also, what to do about the insulating pad that's glued to the top of the tank. I was thinking about using a thin piece of foam that's used sometimes for packing material.
    Thanks in advance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Re: To paint or not to paint fuel tank?

1) I'd hit it with spray on zinc coating.

2) Use roofing felt, any foam may attract and hold moisture.

Working on clearing the decks.

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    Use roofing felt, any foam may attract and hold moisture.
    Thank you, that's a great idea!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 86 Daytona Turbo Z C/S with a full 89 Shelby swap, back on the road and soon to be painted (and lose that Oggie Fisher black) 83 Porsche 944, 5 speed, all stock. 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 5 speed, daily driver. 2017 Trek 1.2 bicycle.

turbo addict

you could paint it with clear laquer if you're sure there's no oils on the metal

I did the gavalinized bellhousing cover on my car 20 years ago and it still looks good

I like the clear lacquer idea also. They do coat it with some gooey rust preventive. I'll clean it with some acetone.

FYI the tank did come with both the fuel pump and fuel sender lock rings and o-rings but does not come with the fuel filler or roll over valve grommets.

turbo addict

from what I've read the filler tube gromit is still at the dealer - the same one was suposedly still usd for the newer cars like the pt cruiser

valve and it's gromit not avaliable

I've used armour all before to make rubber things slippery to install or remove them so that might help

soap and oil can be bad for rubber but armour all , not so much lol

The roll over valve grommet appears to be good still, but I will proceed with caution removing the valve. I already had the fuel filler grommet. Thanks to all for the advice.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I had a horrible experience trying to paint a brand new gas tank for my Shelby Lancer. I used POR-15 fuel tank sealer on the inside and POR-15 silver paint on the outside.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Fuel-Tank-Sealer_p_64.html

A couple weeks after getting the car running again, it started to run bad. I pulled the fuel tank out and *sheets* of the Fuel tank Sealer came off and were plugging the fuel pump's sock filter. The silver POR-15 paint on the outside held up OK, but due to the galvanized steel used in constructing the tank, it didn't work that well. I followed all directions and even used their metal prep product. I had to throw away the tank and get another new one. These products don't adhere well to galvanized steel.

I would just buy a new tank and leave it alone.

turbo addict

a trick some old coot told my father years ago when he complained that oil based paint didn't stick well to galvanized steel evestroughing was to spray the g-s with engine degreaser then wash it

I did not do this when I put the clear laquor on my bell housing cover , just a wire wheel , some varsol , soap & water and the laquor .. no primer as I wanted the galv steel to show as it had cleaned up really well

the clear was to keep it looking nice as gal steel isn't very stable as finish apperance goes

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I had a horrible experience trying to paint a brand new gas tank for my Shelby Lancer. I used POR-15 fuel tank sealer on the inside and POR-15 silver paint on the outside.

http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Fuel-Tank-Sealer_p_64.html

A couple weeks after getting the car running again, it started to run bad. I pulled the fuel tank out and *sheets* of the Fuel tank Sealer came off and were plugging the fuel pump's sock filter. The silver POR-15 paint on the outside held up OK, but due to the galvanized steel used in constructing the tank, it didn't work that well. I followed all directions and even used their metal prep product. I had to throw away the tank and get another new one. These products don't adhere well to galvanized steel.

I would just buy a new tank and leave it alone.
    interesting as I had the opposite experience and my POR-15 did a great job on the inside of my car tank and my motorcycle. As a note, both tanks were rusty on the inside that I removed mostly with a pressure washer. Perhaps all the Zn was removed from the inside of mine and that is why it worked.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor DOHCRT's Avatar

I always wipe galvanized steel down with white vinegar prior to topcoating. This cleans and slightly etches the surface and gives the paint something to bite.

Vic in Phoenix
    dohcrt@cox.net

91 Spirit R/T x4
    92 Spirit R/T x2
    89 CSX
    88 CSX-TIII
    84 Rampage TII
    97 Ram (Buzzin Half Dozen)
    69 Dart GT 'Vert

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10150727821460716.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	57145Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10150728667285716.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	57146Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10150728667290716.jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	57147

Quote Originally Posted by chromguy View Post
    interesting as I had the opposite experience and my POR-15 did a great job on the inside of my car tank and my motorcycle.
    I have an OEM tank for my Dart that was installed in the 80's that had light surface rust in spots. To perserve it I sanded all the areas down, cleaned the tank well with acetone, painted it with POR-15, wet sanded it and then painted it with chrome paint.

Looked great! I put it on the shelf in 2012 and now the POR-15 is peeling off. While its on the shelf. Never on a car.

Well that was a waste of time and money.

I really like POR-15 but would not go anywhere near galvanized steel with it. I did everything by the numbers and now have to start over.

Working on clearing the decks.

[/
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    from what I've read the filler tube gromit is still at the dealer - the same one was suposedly still usd for the newer cars like the pt cruiser

valve and it's gromit not avaliable

I've used armour all before to make rubber things slippery to install or remove them so that might help

soap and oil can be bad for rubber but armour all , not so much lol
    Info on the tube grommet? I know one day I'll have to do replace the tank or go with something else and will need one.

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCRT View Post
    I always wipe galvanized steel down with white vinegar prior to topcoating. This cleans and slightly etches the surface and gives the paint something to bite.
    Great to know! I didn't know that was a use for vinegar, but I will give it a shot next time I paint something. I always just scuff with some 400 or something abrasive.

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10150727821460716.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	57145Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10150728667285716.jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	57146Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10150728667290716.jpg 
Views:	547 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	57147

I have an OEM tank for my Dart that was installed in the 80's that had light surface rust in spots. To perserve it I sanded all the areas down, cleaned the tank well with acetone, painted it with POR-15, wet sanded it and then painted it with chrome paint.

Looked great! I put it on the shelf in 2012 and now the POR-15 is peeling off. While its on the shelf. Never on a car.

Well that was a waste of time and money.

I really like POR-15 but would not go anywhere near galvanized steel with it. I did everything by the numbers and now have to start over.
    Thanks Gary, this is good to know about the POR-15!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Too many times people start a thread (including my self) with no follow up. I feel follow up's are important too.

Anyhow, I did put the tank up a few weeks ago. I ended up painting the tank and straps with silver Ruststroum paint. I got a roll of roofing felt and a can of 3M spray adhesive. I double up the thickness of the roofing felt to duplicate the original insulation. The next day I put a few gallons of gas in her and a new battery and the old girl started right up. Thanks to all, Marc