Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neon 2.0 R/T manual

Hybrid booster

Neon 2.0 R/T manual

What do you think about this car ?

Can the engine be easily swapped for a 2.4 (NA or Turbo) ?
    Is the 2.0L block the same as the 2.4L one ?

What I find stange is that the Neon DOHC has 150 HP and the 2.4 NA only 147HP from what I have readed.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Neon 2.0 R/T manual

The only thing I don't like about the 2nd gen R/Ts and Magnum cars is that they're geared so low. It really kills your mileage as you scream along on the highway. I'm not up on all the swaps etc.

Hybrid booster

Thanks
    I read on allpar, IIRC, that for the first years they have better gears because of the bigger weight of the second generation.
    Maybe the answer would be to find an older trans ?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

The old 2.2 and 2.5 made about the same power too. To make an EXTREME simplification, your airflow determines your power and your displacement determines the rpm you make it at.

As for the 2g RT, I think they start kinda blah but are an interesting thing to build up.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Garrett booster

R/ts have a 3.94 HD trans. Reg 2nd gens will be a 3.55. You can get transmissions from pt cruisers as well. Most are 3.94s HD i believe. 1st gen transmissions are the same but u have to swap the bell housings. Dohcs are 3.94s while sohcs were 3.55s. You will want the 3.94 trans in ur car a 3.55 in it will make it a dog.

Garrett booster

Also 2.0 block and 2.4 block are completely different. If your car is an 03+ doing a srt4 swap is a breeze. its pretty much all plug and play. Dont even bother doing a 2.4 NA swap into a 2nd gen. Way too difficult and not really worth the time. The 2.4 NA makes alot more torque and about the same horsepower. In a 1st gen neon its worth it because its easy as sin to too and a stock swap can yield 14.3s in quarter mile.

boostaholic

Ive said it before and ill say it again.There is no need to swap a 2.0 DOHC for a 2.4 unless your going to turbo it.Its heavier,doesnt lke to Rev and swapping it isnt as easy as everyone seems to make it to be.Ive gone 14.2's with a really mild 2.0 DOHC in a non gutted ACR.It isnt rocket Science!You want a 2.4 buy a SRT4 or PT cruiser.

Garrett booster

You must of never drove a 2.4 swapped 1st gen because its a whole different car. Its 100% worth doing the swap. Swapping a 2.4 into a 1st gen has to be the easiest swap iv ever done so. The hardest part is swapping a few pins in the harness. Other than that u buy some brackets and injectors and bolt it in lol?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Craig View Post
    Ive said it before and ill say it again.There is no need to swap a 2.0 DOHC for a 2.4 unless your going to turbo it.Its heavier,doesnt lke to Rev and swapping it isnt as easy as everyone seems to make it to be.Ive gone 14.2's with a really mild 2.0 DOHC in a non gutted ACR.It isnt rocket Science!You want a 2.4 buy a SRT4 or PT cruiser.
    2.4 can rev just fine with decent cams.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by cbw1994 View Post
    You must of never drove a 2.4 swapped 1st gen because its a whole different car. Its 100% worth doing the swap. Swapping a 2.4 into a 1st gen has to be the easiest swap iv ever done so. The hardest part is swapping a few pins in the harness. Other than that u buy some brackets and injectors and bolt it in lol?
    You need to go over the neons.org and ask who I am before you even ask a question like that or imply that.Ive forgotten more than you know about neons.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

You need to go over the neons.org and ask who I am before you even ask a question like that or imply that.Ive forgotten more than you know about neons.
    And let's not forget, let's not forget that he's killed a rabid otter with his bare hands.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...nds&highlight=

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    And let's not forget, let's not forget that he's killed a rabid otter with his bare hands.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...nds&highlight=
    I killed it with kindness!

Garrett booster

Your right ur a legend over there. You have no idea how much knowledge i have with neons, and for you to think a 2.4 swap is difficult you must not have much experience with swapping a 2.4.

boostaholic

Your right ur a legend over there. You have no idea how much knowledge i have with neons, and for you to think a 2.4 swap is difficult you must not have much experience with swapping a 2.4.
    You right I have very little experience with a 2.4 swap cause The first time i helped do one was 02 and the other I removed from the hahn drag car so yeah not experienced enough.Oh or working on mohler's allmotor 2.4 car back in the day.It was a long time ago so i must have forgot.

Garrett booster

Im not trying to argue with you or bad mouth you. I know you have lots of experience with neons. But the fact that u say doing a 2.4 swap isn't worth it and that it is so difficult to do is just misleading. But everyone has their opinion.

boostaholic

Im not trying to argue with you or bad mouth you. I know you have lots of experience with neons. But the fact that u say doing a 2.4 swap isn't worth it and that it is so difficult to do is just misleading. But everyone has their opinion.
    If your building a full blown race car yes a 2.4 is worth it since nowadays finding rods,pistons ect is easier to find.A reliable DD keep it 2.0.Id still rather turbo a 2.0 over a 2.4 but hey thats just me.And What did your 2.4 car run btw?

After some research.How many 2.4 swaps have you actually done cause what ive been told by those in the know is youve never actually never done one.Your brother has done a few.

Last edited by Sgt Craig; 01-03-2016 at 09:13 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

You must of never drove a 2.4 swapped 1st gen because its a whole different car.
    My 2.0 neon had to be wound to the moon to get moving, my wifes 2.4 car not so much.

Torque.

Working on clearing the decks.

Garrett booster

If your building a full blown race car yes a 2.4 is worth it since nowadays finding rods,pistons ect is easier to find.A reliable DD keep it 2.0.Id still rather turbo a 2.0 over a 2.4 but hey thats just me.And What did your 2.4 car run btw?

After some research.How many 2.4 swaps have you actually done cause what ive been told by those in the know is youve never actually never done one.Your brother has done a few.

Your absolutely pathetic that you must be offended by what i said that ur looking into my life haha? Iv done 2. My own car and my friends car. Because i don't post everything iv ever done on the interwebs dose not mean that i don't know what im talking about. Iv been dailying my 96 neon with a 2.4 swap for 2 and half years with not a single problem with me beating the piss out of it everywhere. Iv never ran it at a track but considering that it beats focus sts and tuned 1.8t vws it should be a low 14 second car. I work on all my own ----. Its all done by me. I tell you what get a bolt on 2.0 and ill get my daily driver with power everything and we will line them up and see who wins.

boostaholic

Your absolutely pathetic that you must be offended by what i said that ur looking into my life haha? Iv done 2. My own car and my friends car. Because i don't post everything iv ever done on the interwebs dose not mean that i don't know what im talking about. Iv been dailying my 96 neon with a 2.4 swap for 2 and half years with not a single problem with me beating the piss out of it everywhere. Iv never ran it at a track but considering that it beats focus sts and tuned 1.8t vws it should be a low 14 second car. I work on all my own ----. Its all done by me. I tell you what get a bolt on 2.0 and ill get my daily driver with power everything and we will line them up and see who wins.

Nah im not pathetic by looking into your life.I wasnt looking into your life i was looking into your claims of being so knowledgable of neons.I told you ive been around the neon scene longer than youve been alive,I know alot of people over at the org,use to actually be a moderator.You werent very well liked over there for same reason your not going to be liked here.You aurgue with people about piddly crap and that your so knowledgable.Sorry I dont have a neon anymore.I have a minivan if you want to run against that.It has bolt ons.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Gentlemen,
    Would it be possible to return to the OP question? Thank you
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast