Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 87 CSX number 561

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Re: 87 CSX number 561

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2005-01-01 14.19.07.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	57740Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2005-01-01 14.55.40.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	208.2 KB 
ID:	57739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2005-01-01 14.19.02.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	57738

Milestone day!

We started several hours ago. I had Kyle pull off the housing for the diff so they could be resealed and new seals installed while I worked on the motor. Installed the dip stick, brackets, throttle body, cam, valve cover. Took a flywheel and drove out the pins and went over it with a DA and installed it on the motor along with a new rear main seal. Had one of the clutch bolts pop off AFTER it was tightened up, drilled it out and replaced them all. Mated the motor with the trans and pulled it up from the bottom. Clutch was a new Brute Force I picked up as part of a deal.

Be a week or two before it will be ready to fire up but at least its in the bay now. Still have to round up a power steering pump, an axle and a few other odds and ends along with setting a lot of the engine wiring right.

Gary

Working on clearing the decks.

Spent a few minutes in the bay yesterday hooking up a few hoses, adjusting motor mounts, installing a TPS sensor and eyeballing the wiring in general.

Noticed the motor had an L-body or early G-body water pump housing with no nipple for the heater core and closed the hood and went inside.

Just one of those days.

Boys are out of town with grand-dad and I felt ambitious yesterday afternoon.

Found a power steering pump and bracket and installed it, pulled the water pump off and installed the correct one. Today I'm going to install fuel rail and injectors, starter and clean up some of the wiring. If things go smooth I'm might try to get it fired up today.

Gary

At 1:30PM CSX 561 rumbled back to life!

Still lots of harness clean up to do but at least we now have a heartbeat!

Tomorrow we will get the axles installed, fill up the transmission and see if the transaxle is any good.

Good thing that '88 Shelby Daytona is still here, we still have a bunch of stuff to rob off it.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-04-23 13.50.23.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	720.3 KB 
ID:	57989   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-04-23 13.50.30.jpg 
Size:	742.9 KB 
ID:	57990  

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Way to go!
    I knew we would get that update in short order!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Frankly I was surprised it started; I was running pretty much flat out to make it this far today and I'm using parts from SEVERAL different cars. I expected something to go wrong and.. it really didn't. The gas I pumped out looks like apple juice, I'm not even sure it will burn. Next time I get a bonfire going it will be the accelerant of choice.

Only been in the tank since 1999!

Name:	2016-04-24 15.50.23.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	712.6 KB 
ID:	58002

Today was a HARD day of wiring.

Lots of little stuff to cut out and repair and chased a problem with the coolant sensor from one end to the other. Kyle repaired the dash lights for the boost gauge and connector for the warning center. Installed the upper timing cover, correct throttle cable and bracket. More progress tomorrow maybe, didn't get even close to doing axles today. Still some minor wiring cleanup to do around the battery and speed sensor.

Gary
    Last edited by mopar-tech; 05-09-2016 at 05:14 AM.

I see Kyle has neglected to post last night, sigh.

We cleaned up two axles and popped them in, filled the cooling system with water, the trans with oil and fired the car up and let it run for several minutes. No coolant fan yet as I have to replace harness connector. Still have an hour or three worth of wiring to clean up.

Minor water leak on the turbo line over the coolant sensor (loose fitting) and the t-stat gasket is leaking (amusing as it was the ONLY gasket not changed)

Transmission seemed quiet even though it was just in neutral, a good sign. We have to install the shift cables and a shifter next.

Engine was nice and quiet. No smoke from the unknown mitsu turbo, nice, nice, nice.

He wants to know when it can be road tested, I laughed and pointed out that we still have to fix the brakes! Patience my son, its getting there.

Good day- I finished up on the wiring, it looks half decent now. Installed a new plug for the fan harness and got the fan working. Replaced the oil sending unit and burned out bulb in the dash. Grabbed the headlamp switch from the parts Daytona and popped it in (still need bezel and plate though) installed the sill plates. Installed the shifter and floor plate. Put all the dash and bezels back together minus the a/c control (still have to pull from Daytona) and installed one wiper arm (other missing) and fixed a coolant leak (t-stat gasket) Kyle installed 2 new hatch struts.

Was going to install the shift cables but it turns out were missing one cable. If it doesn't rain tomorrow was going to head out to the barn and pull a cable... but I think its suppose to rain and get ugly. Might have a few hours in the morning. Need to fix power steering line too.

Gary

P.S. Parts needed.

Passenger side door speaker grill.
    Last edited by mopar-tech; 05-09-2016 at 05:14 AM.

Name:	csx_bay_2_2.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	58100Click image for larger version. 

Name:	csx_2_shifter.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	58101Click image for larger version. 

Name:	csx_2_dash.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	58102Click image for larger version. 

Name:	csx_2_bay_1.jpg 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	58103

Today's fun and games.

Dug some shifter cables out of my stash, lubed them up and installed. The shifter that came with the car (it was loose) I'm pretty sure is for a 525 and will strike the back of the mech when you try to shift into 1-3-5. So as I have done in the past you lop off the ear and extend it out roughly .75-1.00" I just used some spacers I had kicking around the garage for a 904 transmission. Works like a charm now.

The transmission shifts smooth and no noises and no leaks. Motor is stone quiet. So far so good.

Had to swap out the axle on the drivers side, it was too short! Must have been from an 1990 Omni automatic I had kicking about. Brakes are still poor, I think the master went south from sitting. We will swap one out from my stash..

Aside from the brakes under the car all that is left is the power steering hose and exhaust system.

You can see the interior of the car needs work and that is after I assembled a bunch of stuff! More progress soon...

Gary

P.S. Yup for the moment it is not intercooled. I don't have a p-body intercooler radiator kicking about and my 16 year old son will be driving it to school next year. Lets keep the power level reasonable before we start turning him loose with more boost.

For a car that had one leg in the grave and slated for the scrap yard a few months ago I think were making good progress getting another Shelby back on the road.

Yesterday was one of those days I expected more but really didn't happen. much.

Struggled to make a power steering pressure hose but finally got it done. Filled the system and fired up the car and cranked the wheel and the steel return line promptly puked half a quart of PS juice on the ground. chafed through at the rack mount.

GRR.

While installing the PS line I noticed the inner axle boot puking out CV joint grease, clamp not holding tight enough.

GRR.

Kyle installed a replacement horn to replace the damaged one under the hood. Guess what? Its no good.

GRR.

Back up and try again another day. Steps forward and steps back.

Name:	DSCN8991.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	58132Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN8989.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	222.8 KB 
ID:	58133

Today was a good day... ONCE IT STOPPED RAINING.

I swear it has been raining for 2 weeks now.

Kyle pulled the buckets from an '88 Daytona Z, scrubbed them down and swapped the one seat track assembly that we had. He also pulled a horn, tested it, cleaned and installed. Beep, beep! He also pulled a layer of carpet and gave it a quick vacuum.

While he was doing that I installed the turbo brace, cleaned, lubed, tested and installed the heater control, shifter console, new battery, rear window trim, door panels, rear seat, window cranks and door armrests. I also tinkered around with the passenger motors mount shims and bolts.

Power steering is all fixed!

The only major work left to do is install a master cylinder, exhaust system, sway bar and driver seat after modifying the '88 Daytona seat track.

Gary

Mitsu booster

So I haven't posted in awhile about the progress on the car, my fault. Today, I stole a horn from an 88 Daytona Z to put in my car, and it works (i had some fun honking it). I also stole the seats from the car, the driver and passenger seats. I mostly did interior work. I removed the seat that was there when we got the car (it was a passenger side seat funny enough) and removed one of the carpets. There was two carpets for the car, and the bottom one was much nicer. We put in the rear seats, but don't sit on them, they're missing a bracket. I cleaned the front seats that i stole from the Daytona, and we switched the seat track from the seat that came with the car to the seat we were putting in because the front mounts on it need to be straight (mostly) and they were an angle. We have to bend it on the front one, which was not installed today. Dad fixed the power steering return hose, the other one have a way for the fluid to leave. He also put the trim on the rear window on the driver side. If i missed anything Dad, feel free to post it.

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind, you posted your already

Mitsu booster

ignore that face..... its not the right one

Car moved under its own power for the first time since 1999 this morning... right into the garage bay ahead of a rain storm so I can install and weld up the exhaust system and swap out the master cylinder.

Gary

Name:	2016-05-08 13.51.21.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	617.9 KB 
ID:	58134Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-05-08 13.50.20.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	619.4 KB 
ID:	58135Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-05-08 13.50.40.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	847.1 KB 
ID:	58136Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-05-08 13.51.03.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	594.3 KB 
ID:	58137

https://youtu.be/caZ0pHo7xN8

So after getting the car in the garage this morning we installed the exhaust, shifted the fuel tank over an inch or two for extra clearance, modified the '88 Daytona seat tracks for use in an 87 P-body and installed the drivers seat, set the timing, replaced the master cylinder, bled the brakes and pointed the car down the driveway for its maiden voyage.. She is a little squirrelly going down the road (I assume the alignment wasn't done when the car was upgraded to 89 double pivot k-member and control arms) and we have what sounds like a wheel bearing making some racket.. but otherwise a complete success! The car runs well, the transmission shifts good and is quiet and the brakes mostly work (still have to burn off more rust)

Stuff to do in the near future- Align, inspect and replace bearings and pack rears, install a radio and speakers, find a passenger door speaker grill, glue the mirror to the windshield, replace a CV Joint clamp, install the swaybar, replace some bulbs in the dash and check the turn signal lamp connections.

Gary

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Great progress! Sounds like it is getting there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I may have mentioned this to you already Kizzer( old guy memory sux!) but two years ago I bought an 89 LeBaron GTC coupe as a father son first car project for my son Jagger. It's didn't need very much as it was DRIVEN out to Cali from Minnesota. The GTC's have all the good stuff IMO and an airbag so my Ex would be satisfied that is was a 'safe' car. After it sitting for a year while I pleaded with him to work on it with me, he never wanted to so I found someone who did want it. Sold it and delivered it to the new owner in Utah. The take away point here is, your lucky to have a dad that has the skills to help you make a sweet first car and your dad is lucky to have a son that's willing to put down the Xbox controller long enough to put some elbow grease into the project. Good for both of you Gary, wanna trade kids?

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Name:	image1.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	58161

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    Great progress! Sounds like it is getting there!
    Nick sent me a photo from when he raced the car at West Hampton drag way in 1998.

The car ran 14.8@99mph on drag radials with just a stage II MP computer.

The car has indeed had a long journey! Nick confirmed that he swapped out the k-member, spindles and rack while the car had no drivetrain in it so we have to make a point to make sure all the bolts are tight and get it on the lift for an alignment.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    The take away point here is, your lucky to have a dad that has the skills to help you make a sweet first car and your dad is lucky to have a son that's willing to put down the Xbox controller long enough to put some elbow grease into the project. Good for both of you Gary, wanna trade kids?
    Trust me, the 'ol x-box is a factor too... and kids are funny things.. one will be fine and then one of the others will have some crisis that drives you batty.

You just hope it all works out in the end..

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast