Thread: Lebaron convertible top replacement

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Lebaron convertible top replacement

Just picked up a '93 Lebaron convertible, and it needs a top bad. Anybody ever done this job before? Maybe some pics or pointers on it?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Hybrid booster

Re: Lebaron convertible top replacement

had the top on my 89 redone by a shop, not overly impressed by the quality of the aftermarket tops, seems cheap and thinner than the oe one was. it's already ripping in spots. big thing I found after the replacement top started ripping is that they need more padding in spots where the top rubs on the metal frame. apparently it's a common lebaron issue. Next time I am going to try and find a better brand but something tells me if it is like aftermarket carpeting, it's all made by one place and sold under different brands. also if you haven't done the quarter window motors in the rear, expect to do that soon.

Hybrid booster

Yea, I did mine once. Once. Don't think I'd ever do it again. It was a probably 10 or more years ago, but as I remember it took me a few weeks to get it right. I bought the best top I could find at the time, but still had trouble getting all the wrinkles out and getting it to close without having someone stand on the roof while I latched it. The back glass was a real trouble spot. Not only is it sewn into the top, but the bottom is stapeled to rear deck (mine was an 88, it may be different in the later years). If you don't get enough tension on it, it flops in the wind. Get too much tension and it pulls the bottom fabric off of the glass.

It's been a while, but I think the last one I had a shop do cost me about $800, and that was reusing my back window. I think the first one I had professionally done was around $1200 with a new window. I remember him telling me back then that it was an 8-10 hour job.
    '88 Lebaron convertible. RWD 408/A500/8.75" 466hp/511tq. First pass coming soon.... '05 Magnum R/T. 13.79@102 Member SWPA-SDAC. The Steel city chapter.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

They did change the top around 90 I think.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD