Thread: Water in Trans, How to Drain?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Water in Trans, How to Drain?

Here's the back story.

I know that I can take the snout off of the manuals and set them on end to drain. What about the autos though. Will I have to pull those completely apart?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Water in Trans, How to Drain?

Holy crap that sucks! Manuals could remove the shift selector and turn them upside down to drain, fill with oil then drain to use oil to lube the next one? Were the Auto's full of oil? maybe the end cover off those?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

That's a good idea JT. I was thinking about spraying a large quantity of WD into the diff cover, but the selector would probably give a greater coverage and be easier to remove. The autos are full if I'm not mistaken. Judging by all the oil floating on top of the water yesterday, I'm guessing water displaced a fair amount of fluid from all transmissions.

turbo addict

sump pump

I feel your frustration having lived in a house with one for 48 years

no help draining your trans' but I'll suggest, if you're hooked up to city water supply, looking into a water driven sump pump as a back up incase your electric one fails (again) for some reason

https://www.google.ca/search?q=sump+...CcOf-wGonqewCQ

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Johny Dodge View Post
    sump pump

I feel your frustration having lived in a house with one for 48 years

no help draining your trans' but I'll suggest, if you're hooked up to city water supply, looking into a water driven sump pump as a back up incase your electric one fails (again) for some reason

https://www.google.ca/search?q=sump+...CcOf-wGonqewCQ
    That's not a bad idea. I'll have to look into this, as we have relatively low water pressure. I could hook one of those up with no problem though.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

remove the shift covers and pour out the milkshake. A couple gallons of the universal tractor fluid and pour into each one and drain it out, skim the water off and redo. The automatics are actually easier to just pull the pump and take the guts out and marinate everything in universal tractor fluid after draining out the water. Rubbermaid totes are your friend
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    remove the shift covers and pour out the milkshake. A couple gallons of the universal tractor fluid and pour into each one and drain it out, skim the water off and redo. The automatics are actually easier to just pull the pump and take the guts out and marinate everything in universal tractor fluid after draining out the water. Rubbermaid totes are your friend
    Dang. I didn't want to pull the pumps. I guess I'll do it though. I drained all the ICs and intakes today. It started raining again so it's pretty useless to really clean down there at this time.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Tough break. "the dehumidifier floated past me" - that cracked me up.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

get an old electric oven and after draining, heat one at a time to get rid of ALL the moisture.
    Any moisture will do a job on the bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    If you thought that was funny, you should have seen me scrambling to the breaker to throw the switch for the whole house. Once I realized that it wasn't just the sump pump burning up, but every electrical appliance in the basement under water and powered on that I decided to egress the water.

Quote Originally Posted by looneytuner View Post
    get an old electric oven and after draining, heat one at a time to get rid of ALL the moisture.
    That's a great point. I should pull the transmissions apart and do this right. Good times.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Sorry to hear about your tragedy.

I think you need to disassemble everything you want to save, water is very unforgiving when it comes to transmissions etc.

Best of luck!!

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

I pulled apart all spare shafts today. Very happy I've decided to go this route. Water would have destroyed the shafts for sure. Lots of it trapped in between gears etc. I flipped a couple transmissions face down to drain them. They were completely full. The water did push all oil out to say the least. I couldn't believe how little trans fluid was in the auto. Tomorrow I'll attempt to get the whole transmissions apart.

I'm officially finished with this project. Some items of note are that the autos seemed to have significantly less water in the actual moving parts than the manuals. Manual transmissions held much more water in between the gears and in the shafts. The long water pump bolt which holds the tensioner is PERFECT to pull the front pump deal out of the auto transmissions if you put a flanged nut on the end and use a hammer against the face of the bellhousing.

Glad to hear things seemed to have worked out for you, sounds like you've been majorly busy!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by johnl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by looneytuner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Glad to hear things seemed to have worked out for you, sounds like you've been majorly busy!
    Thanks Paul. It's been a busy break for sure. I can't believe I have to return to work on Monday already.