Thread: Turning on headlights kills engine? Need help, please.

turbo addict

Turning on headlights kills engine? Need help, please.

I was getting ready to take my '89 8V Masi TC out for its maiden voyage the other night, but as soon as I turn on the headlights it's like I turn the ignition off.

To make it even more strange, if I turn the high beams on the car starts and runs.

I have done some initial checking and I did find a loose ground under the battery and the white fusible link that helps feed the ASD relay was corroded. I will replace that tomorrow.

I know the car did not have this problem before as I have run it several times with the headlights on. I replaced the headlight switch due to the dimmer being extremely corroded. Now the car has this problem. I then replaced the new switch with a good OEM one and the problem persists.

Beyond that I am at a loss. No other system causes this issue. It's only the low beam headlights.

I'm open to suggestions.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Turning on headlights kills engine? Need help, please.

If everything is wired correctly and nothing is shorted, corroded wires should be a good place to start. I was chasing a short in MB's Talon and was reading false shorts due to a corroded power wire.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

yep, see if it dies when you hit the brakes. then check the cables on the the BATT.

turbo addict

It keeps running even with the brakes. The only system I couldn't check was the defrost because I don't have the hard top on it. Other than that, the low beam headlights are the only system that seems to produce the issue.

The corroded fusible link was strange, so I'm going to star with that. I am also going to retrace my steps that I did troubleshooting earlier.

Hybrid booster

Just for S&G's, did you try putting your original headlight switch back in?

turbo addict

Yup. I did.

Update! I fixed it! Neither the loose ground or the fusible link were it, though.

After rechecking the car side and absolutely confirming the issue was on the engine bay side and knowing I had worked all the way from the headlight to the firewall Y-junction, I figured to check the other side. I found that the harness had rubbed on something (probably the power steering pulley) and 3 wires had touched and melted together. Low beams, high beams and a violet/white tracer that goes to the MAP were the culprits.

Not a fun area to work and I don't like the fact that I had to replace the fusible link with a fuse holder (no 22ga fusible links were available) and now those wires in that corner also have been repaired. So, I think when I do the 16V swap, the engine bay harness will also be swapped. I'm also seriously considering a PDC for it, too.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. It's much appreciated!

Garrett booster

Just did a pdc on my shadow. Was really easy. Did it in about 4 hours

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I have have a bunch of fusible links in the shop if you want to go harness chopping. I hate that fuse holder until it blows 4 times In a row cause the problem is still there. Then I love it.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56