Thread: G body I/C rad into an L body - HOW?

turbo addict

G body I/C rad into an L body - HOW?

looking for advice / pointers on installing a daytona rad into a shelby charger

I've seen posts claiming to have done this but I'm looking for info on what exactly I need to do to make this work

I found one post on the subject that refered to modding the pass side mount - didn't say if upper or lower

I'd like to do it on the cheep so I can install a front mount I/C but only as a temporary stage in the car's evolution towards an air to water system

I'd like just to get an "ordinary" air to air front mount into it for the time being so that I can start the conversion to TII

20 years ago I tryed test fitting the daytona rad in place in my old turismo and found it was way way taller than the L body rads so it was definately not just a drop in deal

I have a good rad for TII daytona with some lose fins at the botton so I have no issues with hacking at the bottom of that rad to make it fit

if I can get the stock daytona I/C in there as well , even better as this simply saves money that can go into more long term things

fiddlin with the battery to clear the upper inlet on the G body I/C isn't an issue

in regards to the car , it's mint , mostly , slightly under 30K and I don't mind having to add another bottom rad mount or two or drilling at the top for the retaining brackets but I definately don't wanna cut and hack the car I've waited 20 years to find as it's so very nice and solid

I'd like to get the physical part of the TII conversion done so I can do the wireing mods to convert to smec , THEN I start a "real" build up once I know everything works and should work properly once my "built" drivetrain gets into it's new "home"

if I can drive it some in the interm , all the better

sorry , this link goes to the other site - if it weren't for the pic posting issues I'd just 'ave posted 'em right here

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/...aybe-soon.html

car is supposed to show up at a buddy's house on sunday - this weekend .. yippie

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: G body I/C rad into an L body - HOW?

I welded new mounts to the lower core support, and drilled new holes in the upper core support. That's pretty much all you need to do if you have a manual trans. Of course, after I did all that, what I ended up with was an intercooler barely adequate for 150hp. There are better options now. If you are hoping to make serious power someday, I wouldn't bother with any type of factory intercooler. Go directly to something substantial.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

hey great , thanks for that

and yeah the stock I/C would simply be for getting the thing running as a TII for the short term but having the more plentiful G body rad might be a good plan - especially as I already have a couple of them

I have a pair of lower mounts I can hack outta my 86 daytona and a welder so this fits the $0 budget so far lol
    + a knife , a piece of tubing , a lower rad hose and some clamps + the TII swaped head outta my 86 daytona & a head gasket - but I have a head gasket lol
    Last edited by Dr. Johny Dodge; 12-17-2015 at 06:08 PM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Just an FYI, early L bodys, maybe others also, had bolt on lower rad mounting brackets.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

turbo addict

I was not aware of that but there's none here in scarborough / pickering ontario

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

I don't know about the TII rad/intercooler setup, but a standard Daytona radiator goes into an L-body without too much fuss. I did it on my Scamp. 30% more cooling capactiy, and 1/3 the price, just can't beat that.

Here's how I did it:

Leave the bottom driver's side radiator mount alone, it's fine. Cut the spot welds on the lower passenger side mount to remove it, and using the new radiator as a guide, weld the mount into the new location on the passenger side. I remember having to straighten out one of the mounting tabs because of the contour of the lower radiator support changes, but it wasn't hard.

If you have the G-body upper mounts that bolt to the core support, use them to mark the new locations, and drill holes. I didn't have them, so I made new ones...

The G-body overflow barb on the filler neck goes forward instead of back like the L-body, you will have to notch the top of the core support for clearance. I then looped the hose over the core support, then back under through the radiator opening, and hook it up to the stock overflow tank. You will need G-body upper & lower radiator hoses to finish the install, but they work with no modifications...

The stock L-body fan(at least the one in the Scamp), will bolt right up to the G-body radiator.

Pretty simple job that can be accomplished in an afternoon. It's run flawlessly since, and I never have a cooling problem anymore...

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 83scamp View Post
    I don't know about the TII rad/intercooler setup, but a standard Daytona radiator goes into an L-body without too much fuss. I did it on my Scamp. 30% more cooling capactiy, and 1/3 the price, just can't beat that.

Here's how I did it:

Leave the bottom driver's side radiator mount alone, it's fine. Cut the spot welds on the lower passenger side mount to remove it, and using the new radiator as a guide, weld the mount into the new location on the passenger side. I remember having to straighten out one of the mounting tabs because of the contour of the lower radiator support changes, but it wasn't hard.

If you have the G-body upper mounts that bolt to the core support, use them to mark the new locations, and drill holes. I didn't have them, so I made new ones...

The G-body overflow barb on the filler neck goes forward instead of back like the L-body, you will have to notch the top of the core support for clearance. I then looped the hose over the core support, then back under through the radiator opening, and hook it up to the stock overflow tank. You will need G-body upper & lower radiator hoses to finish the install, but they work with no modifications...

The stock L-body fan(at least the one in the Scamp), will bolt right up to the G-body radiator.

Pretty simple job that can be accomplished in an afternoon. It's run flawlessly since, and I never have a cooling problem anymore...
    I did something similar with mine when i upgraded my intercooler, however I moved the G-body rad over to the passenger side more. I cut the core support for airflow, and relocated the alternator to where the A/C compressor was. This allowed me to still run intercooler pluming past the radiator on the driver's side.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

relocated the alternator to where the A/C compressor was. This allowed me to still run intercooler pluming past the radiator on the driver's side.
    i like this idea!

im not sure why I had so many issues on my install (although mostly small they all added up), for some reason I had an issue with the fan I decided to use, and contacted something in the engine bay, I know as of right now I need to remove the fan to get the oil filter off (maybe I used the wrong fan? but the fan motor part was contacting something so I ended up using a slim fan mounted inside the stock shroud). I also had a problem with the heater return line, which on an lbody, goes into the rad, so you either need the correct water pump (with heater inlet) or make a t-fitting in the lower hose to return the heater line. also, not sure what rad I used but I think the filler neck also contacted the hood somewhere in the support structure. the last thing was some sort of problem with the lower hose, I think the lbody rad has a brass 90* off the rad where all other rads have a straight fitting? so I think I ended up using a cut pbody lower hose with a t-fitting for the heater and an additional 90 rubber hose to the rad. I remember my Omni being much smoother than this, all these problems were on an SC a couple years ago...

Hybrid booster

Well I've got an 86 Charger and I'm 99 percent sure there's a g body radiator sitting under the Christmas tree so... seeming as I don't go back to work until Jan. 4 I'll probably see how this goes.

turbo addict

thanks for the input guys !!

when I get some warmer days again I'm gonna rip my rad/I-C outta my daytona and chop out one of the lower rad mounts for the charger

hopefully I can swap it in soon and just cover the inlet/outlet of the intercooler with some baggies until I get the manifolds swaped to the TII set up

- AFTER I take it for it's one and only E test when I do the e test and safety inspection to register it

Garrett booster

On my brothers glh we just welded a bolt to the bottom of the radiator frame and put the rubber grommet on it. Only thing we did to the car was drill a hole for the new top mount

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Don't know which models but there are stock fan shrouds that carry deep/long motors and other shrouds that carry shallow/short motors. The latter, of course, leaves room to change out/in the oil filter. IIRC, both shrouds will mount to the same radiator, maybe I had to drill new holes in the upper core support for the shrouds upper bolts.

As for the alternator, I shortened, or "sectioned" the lower bracket, which pulled the alternator in, and closer to the block. Then had to find a shorter belt.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia