Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need mp3 aux input ideas.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor amoparx's Avatar

Need mp3 aux input ideas.

Hi All,

Has anyone here ever "hard wired" some sort of auxiliary input directly into a "factory" radio? I like the CD/cassette radios from the 90's an have them in every car of mine. They do not have the round CD changer input in the back which is usually the route to go with. I use cassette adaptors which actually work well, when they aren't popping out of the radio. I have installed a "Pyle" device that hooks in to the antenna on my Daytona. HUGE quality and volume loss. I don't much care for the RF adaptors. I've seen radios on ebay that were converted. Too much money. Has anyone here converted their radios? I'd get a newer Chrysler radio if I didn't have so many choices of what to drive.

Thanks!
    Bob Doherty..... mnsdac.com
    Coon Rapids, MN
    '90 Chysler TC
    '87 Shelby GLHS #784
    '87 Shelby GLHS #654

'87 Shelby Charger
    '89 Daytona Shelby TII T-Top
    '89 Lebaron Convert TII
    '89 Lebaron Convert TI auto

SDAC Member.expires 05/2016.MNSDAC Vice President

turbo addict

Re: Need mp3 aux input ideas.

I bought a $40 head unit that uses SD Card/USB/AUX and very happy with it. I have no use for tape and CD. A $5 SD card will hold 4000 minutes worth of music.

This is $26, buy a install kit and you're done.

http://www.amazon.com/BOSS-Audio-612...less+head+unit

I do realize there are cheap aftermarket options. I even have one, new in the box, sitting here. I just want to do it with a stock looking
    Chrysler radio.
    Coon Rapids, MN
    '90 Chysler TC
    '87 Shelby GLHS #784
    '87 Shelby GLHS #654

'87 Shelby Charger
    '89 Lebaron Convert TII

Garrett booster

Head over to allpar's radio page. theres a good write up on doing a aux mod there using the cd players DIN port. I used an amazon DIN cable and some radio shack 1/8 stereo plugs

http://www.allpar.com/stereo/Infinity-II/index.html

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Radio's are quick enough to swap out that you can put a modern one in for when you drive the car and swap the old one in for when you need it to look stock. There's really no need to deny yourself the pleasure of modern in-car entertainment.

If you're really not all that concerned about sound quality, which I am guessing you're not given the attachment to the OE radio, you can buy a univeral FM modulator that plugs into the headphone jack of your mp3 player, tune your car radio to the specified station and listen that way.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

There used to be equipment you could buy that would go between the radio and antenna that would have an AUX in, you just had to set your radio to a specific station to hear it. Can't remember what they're called for the life of me though.

- - - Updated - - -

Basically THIS:

Google is my friend, lol

Or is this the "Pyle" thing you're referring to?
    Last edited by EaZyE426; 12-10-2015 at 06:55 PM.

Yes, The "Pyle" was the name brand of the same thing. Terrible quality.
    The FM modulators don't sound all that great. The newer Chrysler radios sound fantastic in my Chrysler TC. But then that comes with 10 speakers.
    The write up in Allpar is for radios with the round din port. My radios don't have that. Just looking for info on the internal upgrade. It's been done. I'd like to find out how.
    I may put in an after market radio, but would like to give this a shot.
    Thanks everyone.
    Coon Rapids, MN
    '90 Chysler TC
    '87 Shelby GLHS #784
    '87 Shelby GLHS #654

'87 Shelby Charger
    '89 Lebaron Convert TII

Depends on the car, but if you are dead set on keeping a stock radio, they make a BT tape adapter that would work too. Granted, you need a car with a working tape deck and given that most of those radio tape decks die, that may not be the best option. And I have no idea if those work well or not, but something to consider as an option.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Why not pick up a factory radio with DIN port from junkyard and do that?

I'll look in to the BT adapter. I may install the needed radio with the din. Pretty sure I have a couple laying around. I just like the looks and style of the newer radios.
    Coon Rapids, MN
    '90 Chysler TC
    '87 Shelby GLHS #784
    '87 Shelby GLHS #654

'87 Shelby Charger
    '89 Lebaron Convert TII

Garrett booster

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor A.J.'s Avatar

I also considered doing something like this. I wanted to keep the original because I wouldn't have to worry about theft. It was just way too complicated so I ended up doing Tryingbe's solution and bought a cheapo head unit that had an audio jack built into it. I paid $50 for one from O'Reilly's but mine also came with a CD player.
    Last edited by A.J.; 12-14-2015 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks Dominic. Great pictures, Too bad there's nothing explaining what to do.

A.J. I may just go ahead and do the aftermarket thing. Then I can get something with BT as well as al the other goodies.
    Coon Rapids, MN
    '90 Chysler TC
    '87 Shelby GLHS #784
    '87 Shelby GLHS #654

'87 Shelby Charger
    '89 Lebaron Convert TII

Garrett booster

I think so that I can keep the stock radio in the GLH I'm going to pick up an equalizer which has an aux input (and Bluetooth). That way, adjusting the EQ will make up for the sh!tty sound out of the stereo....
    Depending on what you wanna spend, on the cheap side Lanzar makes a half-din EQ which has both an AUX port and Bluetooth connectivity.... I may go that route with a small 4 channel amp or Boss audio (again, cheap) has an amplified EQ, but no aux port....

The pictures in the link have descriptions if you go through the guy's album. Pretty cool, but it's not as easy as it may seem and would require some playing around to get it to work. I would consider another alternative, but very cool that he did it, nevertheless.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

The main reason I even considered this is because I have 7 FWD Mopars. of which 5 are insured. I never know which one I'm going to drive.
    Coon Rapids, MN
    '90 Chysler TC
    '87 Shelby GLHS #784
    '87 Shelby GLHS #654

'87 Shelby Charger
    '89 Lebaron Convert TII

turbo addict

I myself use the infinity 2 with the input mod.

some ready modded units on ebay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Jee...FWG8~U&vxp=mtr

- - - Updated - - -
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Quote Originally Posted by amoparx View Post
    The main reason I even considered this is because I have 7 FWD Mopars. of which 5 are insured. I never know which one I'm going to drive.
    THAT is a good reason to do this. By the time you get the first few done, you'll be an expert and can do the rest. Interested to see if you get a stock radio working in this capacity!

Quote Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
    I myself use the infinity 2 with the input mod.

some ready modded units on ebay.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Jee...FWG8~U&vxp=mtr

- - - Updated - - -
    That's pretty cool!

raccoon, That radio you used is the same one I have in all my cars. I love that radio. And yes Jon, I figured I could do the same to all of them fast. Besides, at the local U-Pull yard, I can get 10 of those radios for the price of the converted ebay one. $22.50 after tax.
    Coon Rapids, MN
    '90 Chysler TC
    '87 Shelby GLHS #784
    '87 Shelby GLHS #654

'87 Shelby Charger
    '89 Lebaron Convert TII

Man I say do it and document! I'd love to see someone we know do it, but just be a little more detailed than the link you posted. I think he did a decent job explaining at a high level, but I wouldn't feel comfortable undertaking the task and probably would get frustrated and stuck. I think it's a really cool idea. I know I don't even listen to my radio anymore, just what I can stream from my phone. And I think there is a satellite app (Sirius or XM) where if you have satellite radio you can stream it from your phone without the need for the antenna. No reason to buy expensive radios anymore unless you want a touch display, which don't fit in our cars as it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast