Thread: Vacuum Routing

Garrett booster

Vacuum Routing

I just picked up a '88 Shadow 2.2L T1. The vacuum lines are all over the place. I was sent the diagram but I am not well versed in what the items on the diagram are. Like the MAP sensor. Where is it and what does it look like. That is just an example of how dumb I am. This is my first Turbo car and I am virtually lost. I can do mechanical work but this vacuum stuff is beyond me.
    I would hope someone would take pity on me and help me with this. I don't even have a manual for it. Maybe there is something out there that shows where these things (sensors) are. Thanks in advance for any help,

Bill

boostaholic

Re: Vacuum Routing

The MAP should be on the passenger side strut tower,Its a small rectangle about 2 inches by 1.25 inches and a little over 1/4 thick I think with a 3 wire plug going in it at a vacume line coming out of a solonoid that is a bolted right under the MAP sensor itself I hope this helps,My mesurments arnt exact they are just a guess but should help you out.

Garrett booster

That's great, but what does it do? What is a BOV. How about a G valve. I don't know these things. I guess I'll have to learn.
    Last edited by dirttrackdemon; 10-04-2006 at 01:39 PM.

boostaholic

the MAP tells the computer the Manifold Absolute Pressure so it can determine fuel and spark,The BOV stops comressor surge when you let off the gas and go back in to vacume,A G Valve is a boost controler.Hope this all helps out.

Garrett booster

WVRAMPAGE, thanks for the info. Does anyone have a pic of the top of their engine and the throttle body? I can get a good idea of how the vac. lines are hooked up.

Garrett booster

there are 5 things that need vacume

1 MAP sensor
    2 BOV
    3 Wastegate actuator
    4 Boost gauge
    5 Fuel regulator

Make sure all these are hooked to manifold vacume source, and it should run fine . Someome will correct me if I'm wrong.

Garrett booster

Well I hooked everything up and it runs. Haven't taken it for a test drive yet, hoping to do that tomorrow. Does anyone have a pic of the top of their engine? I've got vacuum lines going everywhere.

One other thing, when I disconnect the temperature sensor, to time the engine, the engine quits. So I got it around 10-12 degrees advanced, I think. Is the sensor bad or do I have something else going wrong. Stumped

boostaholic

The Turbo Mopar Dictionary

As for the engine quiting when the temp sensor is disconnected; have you tried holding the throttle open a little while disconnectiong it, then ease the rpm's back down? You could start by making sure your crank,intermediate shaft and cam shaft are properly aligned, then set your dist. so that the rotor point straight to number 1. I would suspect that your dist. timing is off just enough to kill it.