Thread: How the hell do you get wiper arms off a Spirit?

Hybrid booster

How the hell do you get wiper arms off a Spirit?

My wiper motor isn't working, and I have been trying to remove the wiper arms to access the motor, with no luck at all. I removed the retaining nuts, and figured the arms would pull right off. Yeah, right. I sprayed WD40 on the studs, twisted, turned, pulled and every thing else I could do to the arms and they won't budge. I even bought a puller, but it won't fit. Anyone have a secret they can share with me to help before I have a nervous breakdown?

Re: How the hell do you get wiper arms off a Spirit?

if it's like the other arms of that era there is a small swing-away lever at the base of the arm. it needs to be swung out to unlock the arm base.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by martin kolner View Post
    if it's like the other arms of that era there is a small swing-away lever at the base of the arm. it needs to be swung out to unlock the arm base.
    The car is a 91 Spirit R/T and it doesn't seem to have that retaining lever.

It's either the catch as Martin mentioned or bolted down. I'm not aware of any other methods for holding wipers on, but maybe there is?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    It's either the catch as Martin mentioned or bolted down. I'm not aware of any other methods for holding wipers on, but maybe there is?
    They definitely have nuts retaining them to the studs, but even with the nuts removed they don't want to budge. Guess after being in place for 25 years they don't want to come off easily.

Oh, well then there's your answer. Use a dead blow or standard hammer and lightly tap on the arm where it mounts. You can also try wiggling it off, sorta rocking it back and forth. Should come off though, but if you're up north then maybe there is some rust securing it. Try PB blaster or the like to break any oxidation loose.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

They make tiny pullers that can be used for that sort of thing.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    They make tiny pullers that can be used for that sort of thing.
    I bought a universal wiper arm puller and it was useless. I finally got em off...the driver's side was a real beyotch!

I just use a standard 2 arm gear puller to apply a little pressure and they pop right off.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by c2xejk View Post
    I just use a standard 2 arm gear puller to apply a little pressure and they pop right off.
    Bingo! If they won't come off with a little bit of rocking them back & forth while pulling I reach for the gear puller and they slide right off super easy.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

i use a modified valve spring compressor similar to this for pulling wiper arms off when they are stuck. shim the one side and gut out the valve spring holder top pieces. of course i have a super cheap one so dont care if it ever compresses valves again.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

boostaholic

These aren't the ones that need a 1/8" pin in a hole are they? My lancer has that. First time I took those wipers off was a nightmare. Then I checked the manual and say the use of the 1/8 pin. So the way this works is you lift the wiper off the screen and view the pin hole in the wiper arm. When it's clear of mechanism insert the pin. After that remove the nuts and the wiper pulls right off no effort.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Spray a little Kroil on them, wait, and remove.