Seems like a great new tool
    I like mine!!!
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Re: MPSciLink

I can try to set up my gopro to capture some video of the unit, and some testing.
    Lots to do before i am ready, trying to fix a few cal things first.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

I didn't bother to get video, since what i was testing was not working correctly.
    The device works and logs successfully, however we are trying to work through some issues with the analog inputs.
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

Garrett booster

any updates on this? sounds really sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by sev80 View Post
    any updates on this? sounds really sweet!
    There are still some small challenges being worked out.
    Here is a short video and some photos of the prototype device with the 3.5" color touchscreen. They'll likely be some screen size options for the diy'er. The pics are just random shots from testing.
    It is not in any sort of final "packaging" yet, no case right now for the development testing.
    There will probably be a board update for the released version.

Morris and Miles can interject more.
    https://youtu.be/DgbLcneqRMk
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1488232430159.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	60195Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1488232484642.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	60196Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1488232526583.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	60197
    Wayne H.

oh my gosh that is awesome! That video is the MPscilink dealio? I have a raspberry Pi device with a 7" monitor, wonder if I can run that into the Raspberry Pi or just use the monitor to do the output?

Also, for the knock voltage, I see yours is fluctuating from 1-20? Is that off or what's up with that? Mine never went above .12v, if I was reading the gauge correctly.

Thanks for the video Wayne!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

boostaholic

That is super cool and I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    oh my gosh that is awesome! That video is the MPscilink dealio? I have a raspberry Pi device with a 7" monitor, wonder if I can run that into the Raspberry Pi or just use the monitor to do the output?

Also, for the knock voltage, I see yours is fluctuating from 1-20? Is that off or what's up with that? Mine never went above .12v, if I was reading the gauge correctly.

Thanks for the video Wayne!
    The knock voltage being displayed is one thing yhat needs fixing. It displayed correct with the old lcd display, and it is correct when logging into mpscandroid, but somehow directly on mpscilink it was showing with this multiplier.

The video only shows the "Monitor" feature, where once set up with your mpc file in mpscandroid it will display your gauges you normally log.
    The analog inputs on the video are EGT and Int Temp, values that are output from my ExoticElectron dual thermocouple gauge. They are a bit flakey, and they should be more stable. I need to test a different capacitor to see if it helps.

It gets more awesome than just that.
    I'll try to get another video showing the mainscreen. Other features will be to be able to log directly with the device to an SD card, read bins, and flash. I have not tested any of those features yet, as the primary for me has been to help get the logging, logging quality, analog input logging, provide user feedback on the interface, etc where it needs to be.
    Being able to edit a bin with mpscandroid and then reflash will be pretty slick! All without a laptop or switching cables around.

I did recently ask Morris about if the Raspberry Pi would be some benefit. I'd have go find exactly what he said, but the short answer is there are differences and that processor package wouldn't have some of what is needed. I think the screen may still be a possible use though.
    Wayne H.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

just to add a little more info to what wayne said (his testing has been invaluable btw)--

when i switched to the touch screen monitor i picked the nextion display, primarily due to the number of different size screens available which all use the same, simple 4 wire serial connection. wayne is using the 3.5 in display. they do go as high as 7 in i believe. obviously users will need to determine how much they want to spend. that was a concern of mine as compared to some of the cheap lcd displays but i think the flexibility it gives the end user should justify the extra cost. if you look at the datasheet on that display you will see that it can be EASILY modified by the end user. so in theory, as long as you don't change the field names i've used the user can modify the layout/icons/graphics any way they want. and the serial connection allows the display to have decent separation from the actual mpscilink device if desired. i just hope they stay in business!!!!!

the knock volts on wayne's display is strange. i ran wayne's setup config on my test unit and the volts appeared correctly. i don't know if wayne has reloaded that setup again but perhaps there was a load error initially.

as wayne noted, we are having trouble getting a nice, stable, accurate reading on the analog ports. perhaps miles can chime in on the hardware side of things to better explain what we have attemted to do to fix that. i need to spend some time again on the unit and testing - been working on the 781 cal way too much!!! and i know there are alot of brilliant EE types out there that i'ld love to have chime in to determine a solution.

also, miles was finishing up the latest layout on the board. the nextion display allowed us to simplify and reduce some of the components, in particular eliminating a number of circuits due to less wiring as well as elimination of the real time clock module since the display has it built in. he has been extremely busy so i'm not sure where he is at on finishing this up.

the mpscilink device works best as a scanning/recording device. due to the "uniqueness" of the steps required to read/flash a bin such as the special baud rates and lack of a "protocol", this may not be as reliable but i have used the device many, many times and it performed flawlessly.

my commitment is to have units available by early summer.

in the future i will be looking at moving from the underpowered arduino to probably an esp32 setup. the arduino was a simple solution initially but long term is not the right way to go. i'll order the module in a month or so and look at getting it working. it will be much cheaper and more powerful.

****edit*****
    oh ya, need someone to design an enclosure..........................
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Talk to Andy. He's not too shabby with 3D printing.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Oooh, I'll buy one when they are done.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    also, miles was finishing up the latest layout on the board. the nextion display allowed us to simplify and reduce some of the components, in particular eliminating a number of circuits due to less wiring as well as elimination of the real time clock module since the display has it built in. he has been extremely busy so i'm not sure where he is at on finishing this up.
    Yes crazy busy with Karate stuff, but that has subsided for a bit. I have Rev 2 of the board complete with parts on order. My lab tests on the ADC performance of Rev 1 is rock solid stable on my electronic bench. I plan to test Rev 1 attached to my car to ensure ADC performance when attached to the car in an attempt to recreate Wayne's observations. Once complete, I will send the PCB board out for production.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

turbo addict

In the next few weeks I will begin tuning for e85 in my van. I was interested in getting an ethanol content gauge until I saw the prices. Having some knowledge of the arduino I set out to find an alternative. I happened upon this
    http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e85...der-100-a.html

I'm going to throw one together temporarily for now with what I have laying around. I wondered if there were any digital pins on the MPscilink that are available as an input? With one input ethanol content and fuel temp would be available. By looking at the code on that thread it seems that ethanol content is output as frequency and fuel temp as duty cycle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

we have not set up any digital pins specifically for input, just the analog pins. the code indicated uses interrupts which i'm concerned would consume too many processing cycles for the rest of the program. may be easier to either use a separate chip that would then send the converted data to the mpscilink device via the analog ports, unless that device will generate analog signal directly.

For those using these different fuel blends, i think the end all fix is to try and use WB data in lambda. My understanding is that is common across all fuels, right? But that would some new turbonator function to use lambda value output from the wideband. And we would all have to learn what are the correct values for richness.
    Its all greek to me...
    Wayne H.

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    For those using these different fuel blends, i think the end all fix is to try and use WB data in lambda. My understanding is that is common across all fuels, right? But that would some new turbonator function to use lambda value output from the wideband. And we would all have to learn what are the correct values for richness.
    Its all greek to me...
    this is easy enough to do in mpscan. i believe most widebands will output lambda 1 at around 2.5 volts so you just need to enter in the ecu min/max in a user gauge that correspond to what your WB min/max lamda readings are. e.g. i think the lc2/lm2 is 0 volts = .50 lambda and 5 volts = 1.50+ lambda so that would be your min/max values. obviously you would want to change the other gauge settings appropriate to reflect the new ranges. so in general if you are shooting for a WOT afr of 10.5/1 you would convert that to 10.5/14.7 = .714 lambda so you would like to see that number when you scan at WOT. and the beauty is if you run any ethanol blend you still would be shooting for a .714 lambda (although i think for some reason ethanol runs a little leaner still so you would maybe adjust the lambda target down a little).

turbo addict

I can change my wideband to read for different fuels and it would output as such but my gauge only reads down to 9:1 so it's not really ideal for E85. I plan on keeping it in gasoline mode and then you read the wideband just as if you were tuning for gas. 14.7 in cruise, 10-12:1 at WOT ect. I wouldn't mind getting an actual Lambda gauge.

The part I am worried about is that most E85 at the pump can vary between 51 and 85% alcohol concentration. Without flex fuel support in the ECU I am left with switching cal's based on ethanol percentage. I Just want to keep an eye on it.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    I can change my wideband to read for different fuels and it would output as such but my gauge only reads down to 9:1 so it's not really ideal for E85. I plan on keeping it in gasoline mode and then you read the wideband just as if you were tuning for gas. 14.7 in cruise, 10-12:1 at WOT ect. I wouldn't mind getting an actual Lambda gauge.

The part I am worried about is that most E85 at the pump can vary between 51 and 85% alcohol concentration. Without flex fuel support in the ECU I am left with switching cal's based on ethanol percentage. I Just want to keep an eye on it.
    If the ecu was controlling for the lambda reading the ethanol content wouldn't matter, right?
    That's more what i meant. Change the closed loop to control for s lambda reading, not the O2 reading.
    If that would be the same across a wide fuel variety/EtOH content.
    Wayne H.

Mitsu booster

Just a sidenote (where the ecm could need to be adjusted while on E85) :

We also have to think/do someting about cold-start for the ethanol users.
    Either play around with that "64 rpm rule" at cranking or change/adjust the amount of fuel which is injected.
    Especially when the engine is really cold and the temperature outside is also cold.
    Driving with a stock (unmodified ecm) having fuel like E85 till 50 need 3-4x cranking in the winter and 2x with luck at spring or warmer temps.
    Then the next 500 meters the car runs little berzerk (engine doesnt run really round, it coffs a little).
    On the other side when engine is warm the car cranks immediately, you dont notice any difference in cranking (with anything between E05 and E85).

Another obervation with E85 (or similar) :
    You accelerate normally (wot) until say 145-150 km/h then you keep pushing the pedal but no more accelaration happens and then some seconds later all of a sudden you get a nice boost and the car accelerates hefty until the 180 km/h limit. It's funny it happens only with having an estimated E50+ inside. (i fuel this daily driver with 3x E85 than again 1x E05 .. because i am little afraid of seals/gaskets. OTOH i am driving my '93-3Lv6 like this for over 7-8 years like this and no issues, yet

(I just spoke with a petrol guy and he claimed that, at least here in Germany the E85 from pump is E85, otherwise we would have a nice case of "tax evasion", since 1 liter cost here 0.85eu ($3.41/gal) as opposed to reg./prem. fuel which is at 1.35eu / liter ($5.44/gal)

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Subbed so I can get up to speed on this...
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast