Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: MPSciLink

Re: MPSciLink

If the ostrich has BT, would that allow the device to connect to it and flash it? I have the BT module on mine and I thought this device had/has BT as well.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

wow, an ostrich with BT?! i would guess that the ostrich BT is a slave so that would require a BT master on the device. we used an hc-06 which only works as a slave. the hc-05 BT unit does support master mode which is a simple swap. not sure what would be needed for drivers tho. do you have any info on that ostrich BT?
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

I'll see what I can find. I have the order so I will post the details.

Link to product. I can email the guys at Moates to get additional details. They are very helpful

http://www.moates.net/neptunedemon-b...don-p-298.html
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

it looks like the bt unit we use!! so basically you could directly connect/pair to mpscandroid now. all i would need to do is put the flashing protocol in the code. have you used the ostrich with bluetooth? i'm guessing it is pretty slow since it appears they connect at 38.4K. our device connects at 115.2k. unless it is configurable.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries_Turbo View Post
    http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-host-board-v2

something like this for ostrich?
    now that is interesting!! especially the one that has the ftdi drivers on it. arduino currently supports 3 hardware serial ports. currently 1 is used for nextion, 1 for bluetooth, and 1 for ecu connection. so we would need to add a switch to flip the ecu connection to this board instead. that should be simple enough. the only thing i don't like about the ostrich is still needing to have the sci connection for logging. that is why i like the boostbutton flashable modules instead.

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    it looks like the bt unit we use!! so basically you could directly connect/pair to mpscandroid now. all i would need to do is put the flashing protocol in the code. have you used the ostrich with bluetooth? i'm guessing it is pretty slow since it appears they connect at 38.4K. our device connects at 115.2k. unless it is configurable.
    I have used it and I don't remember it being slow. The laptop I was using had issues connecting to it after the first time, so I didn't do it often. The files aren't big, so I don't see it taking long to flash.

boostaholic

now that is interesting!! especially the one that has the ftdi drivers on it. arduino currently supports 3 hardware serial ports. currently 1 is used for nextion, 1 for bluetooth, and 1 for ecu connection. so we would need to add a switch to flip the ecu connection to this board instead. that should be simple enough. the only thing i don't like about the ostrich is still needing to have the sci connection for logging. that is why i like the boostbutton flashable modules instead.
    I thought the mega had 4 UARTs? Would a serial expander like this one work? https://www.atlas-scientific.com/pro..._expander.html

you are correct, the mega2560 does have 4 ports. however, i use port 0 as the debugging port so it's really not available. that expander probably would be ok, although it does use the soft serial library which is not quite as good as using a hard serial port.

boostaholic

When building a layout, is the ecu type dependent on the code or dependent on the physical ecu? I just got my car running on a SMEC. The SMEC says it same out of an 89 2.5 turbo, but I'm running a turbonator 2.2 tune on it. Should I set up my layout for SMEC T1 or SMEC T2?

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iangoround View Post
    When building a layout, is the ecu type dependent on the code or dependent on the physical ecu? I just got my car running on a SMEC. The SMEC says it same out of an 89 2.5 turbo, but I'm running a turbonator 2.2 tune on it. Should I set up my layout for SMEC T1 or SMEC T2?
    I would say SMEC T1, unless you are using a SMEC T2 based cal.
    The ram locations are different across the ecu's. You can see that in MPScandroid Misc/ConfigTables/Cross Reference.
    There are a good number of them that are the same from SMEC T1 - T2, but there are also a good number of them that are not.
    So, if you find some gauges in your layout reading wacky, you might need to switch.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

boostaholic

I was having some trouble getting it to start talking last night, but it was also late and I should double-check my connections. I think my layout was also built for T2. If I had been slightly more aware I would have read this line on the download page....

[QUOTE]This Turbonator/SMEC is based on the stock Chrysler '89 T1 code and calibration.[QUOTE]

This is a copy of a post made in the first 2 group purchases of the MPSciLink device, but good information to have here also:

I have some important product information I need to get out to the existing customers, who intend to use their mpscilink device on a flashable SBEC / SBECII.

Although the flash programming in mpscilink was based on the MPTune sequence, there is some missing hardware in order to successfully flash those ecu's with mpscilink.
    I think we can provide a patch to address this on existing products with a modified communication cable (the cable that is connecting mpscilink to the vehicle diagnostic SCI connector).

We are working firstly to fully understand the bootstrap process sequence to flash the BoostButton flashable SBEC / SBECII.
    From Rob L's wiki, it requires a 12v be applied to the bootstrap wire (integrated into his FTDI flash cable when flashing with MPTune) during a key on, then power removed.
    The mpscilink is missing some circuit protection if that power was applied to the ecu Tx on the diagnostic connector.

Rob's wiki also talked about applying 21v to a stock SMEC in order to read the bin. (That bootstrap power gets applied to pin # 11 on the 60way ).
    The mpscilink does have a built in 21v output for the ecu's that require it.
    What is unclear to me is if SBEC / SBECII use the 21v for anything.

Ok, so where do we go from here?
    Not all customers are obviously affected. But if you purchased your device intending to use with FLASHABLE SBEC or SBECII please make sure you contact me so I can keep track. (Not everyone replied to an early survey that asked for that info.) Future orders I will try to keep track by getting that info during the order somehow.

We will delevop and hopefully test a hardware patch that will install on the communication wire. More information on that later.
    I'm thinking of doing either:
    1. providing the patch to be installed by the customer, or
    2. a communication cable exchange.

So although some of this is still fluid, I wanted to at least get this notification out. I had been trying to assist a customer with his device and flashable sbec and discovered this issue.
    We will address this with on-board circuitry on the future mpscilink versions.

I do apologize for the setback for those affected. We will try to get this worked out for you. In the mean time, you can still use MPTune and your flash cable as you did previously.
    If you are burning chips, this doesn't affect you.

If there are any questions, please let us know.
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by wheming View Post
    This is a copy of a post made in the first 2 group purchases of the MPSciLink device, but good information to have here also:

I have some important product information I need to get out to the existing customers, who intend to use their mpscilink device on a flashable SBEC / SBECII.

Although the flash programming in mpscilink was based on the MPTune sequence, there is some missing hardware in order to successfully flash those ecu's with mpscilink.
    I think we can provide a patch to address this on existing products with a modified communication cable (the cable that is connecting mpscilink to the vehicle diagnostic SCI connector).

We are working firstly to fully understand the bootstrap process sequence to flash the BoostButton flashable SBEC / SBECII.
    From Rob L's wiki, it requires a 12v be applied to the bootstrap wire (integrated into his FTDI flash cable when flashing with MPTune) during a key on, then power removed.
    The mpscilink is missing some circuit protection if that power was applied to the ecu Tx on the diagnostic connector.

Rob's wiki also talked about applying 21v to a stock SMEC in order to read the bin. (That bootstrap power gets applied to pin # 11 on the 60way ).
    The mpscilink does have a built in 21v output for the ecu's that require it.
    What is unclear to me is if SBEC / SBECII use the 21v for anything.

Ok, so where do we go from here?
    Not all customers are obviously affected. But if you purchased your device intending to use with FLASHABLE SBEC or SBECII please make sure you contact me so I can keep track. (Not everyone replied to an early survey that asked for that info.) Future orders I will try to keep track by getting that info during the order somehow.

We will delevop and hopefully test a hardware patch that will install on the communication wire. More information on that later.
    I'm thinking of doing either:
    1. providing the patch to be installed by the customer, or
    2. a communication cable exchange.

So although some of this is still fluid, I wanted to at least get this notification out. I had been trying to assist a customer with his device and flashable sbec and discovered this issue.
    We will address this with on-board circuitry on the future mpscilink versions.

I do apologize for the setback for those affected. We will try to get this worked out for you. In the mean time, you can still use MPTune and your flash cable as you did previously.
    If you are burning chips, this doesn't affect you.

If there are any questions, please let us know.
    I can add some more details on the Boostbutton SBECII side as I have been running MPTune and MPScan for years now, bootstrapping and flashing my ECU weekly.

Here is the excerpt from the BoostButton Site with my info included in bold:

For the BoostButton Flashable (or stock) SBEC, you need to momentarily apply 12v to the boot wire on the BoostButton SCI cable (that’s the ‘extra’ red wire coming off the SCI connector) as you key on the car to ‘Run’. Once in the ‘Run’ position, the 12v must be removed. I use a pushbutton, again to the 12v power point (cigarette lighter). I have wired in a dedicated 12V wire that is spliced off the cigarette wire, this wire must be a constant 12V connection. I have it wired to a simple rocker switch, it is a permanent install in my car.

1. Start the flash process in MP Tune; follow the prompts.
    2. Press the boot pushbutton or toggle the switch on
    3. Turn the key to ‘Run’ position (not accessory) - but do not crank it!
    4. Release the boot pushbutton within ~1 second of key-on. or turn the toggle switch off

The ECU is now ‘bootstrapped’ and flashing will start automatically..

Looking at the circuit board for Rob's SCI cable, looks like all he added was a diode and a resistor. The only connection to the diagnostic connector is through the RX, TX, and GND.

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/7ZjncOAf

Just a quick stab at this:
    You would need a resistor between the TX output of the MPSCILink board and the TX connection on the diagnostic connector. you would then need a constant 12v power wire that has a diode inline, then is connected to the TX line coming off of the MPSciLink board before the resistor. The 12v switching could be done by MPScilink or it could be an external rocker switch. The important part I know is that the TX line must see a constant 12v power prior to the ignition coming on in order to start bootstrapping. After the ignition is on, the 12v must be removed from the Tx line to allow transmitting of the file from the PC curently to the ECU.

I am not sure if the MPScilink is an ignition on or has a constant power, but I would imagine you would need to have MPSciLink running before you could start the flashing process. The boost strapping process requires turning the car on and off, so you would need to add this.

Another idea would be to use the Boostbutton SCI board from OSHPark, wire it up with a 4 wire cable. Run the new extra wire to another connector on the MPSci Link board. Add a constant 12v connection to the board, the end user would need to find this constant 12v to tap into.
    Then the MPSciLink board could turn the 12v on and off. Maybe adding a 12v constant power to the board could be useful for other things, I am not sure. That same 12v power wire going down to the Diagnostic connector could be spliced with a second wire, that wire could then be connected right to pin#11 on the SMEC. That way this 12v wire could do both SMEC and SBEC. The MPScilink would need some interface method for the end user to tell it which ECU it is flashing to it can either stay 12v on for the duration of the flash or toggle on and off as needed by the SBEC.

Final idea would be to use the Boostbutton SCI board from OSHPark, wire it up with a 4 wire cable. Run the new extra wire up to the board, then have the end user wire in a switched 12v feed for this wire. Still not sure how the MPSciLink would communicate if it is wired to an ignition on source. The flashing device would need to have power before the ignition is turned on.
    Just my .02 for the day.
    Last edited by DoubleD; 09-13-2018 at 11:55 AM.

the 21v on the mpscilink device was added to provide the capability to flash/read the stock flashable sbec2 and fcc chips. they require a programming voltage that is toggled on and off through the reading/flashing process. at this point it is unused and was not meant for the smec flashing.

using the device software to turn the voltage on for the smec would be easy. the timing for the sbec might be a bit more difficult. i don't recall what the ecu sends back for acknowledgement (if any) on the sbec. on the smec it sends a byte saying it is ready.

boostaholic

the 21v on the mpscilink device was added to provide the capability to flash/read the stock flashable sbec2 and fcc chips. they require a programming voltage that is toggled on and off through the reading/flashing process. at this point it is unused and was not meant for the smec flashing.

using the device software to turn the voltage on for the smec would be easy. the timing for the sbec might be a bit more difficult. i don't recall what the ecu sends back for acknowledgement (if any) on the sbec. on the smec it sends a byte saying it is ready.
    On the SBEC you could use a delay circuit, so lets say, you switch on the 12v constant, then once the MPSciLink senses the ignition power, you start a delay circuit, and after 1000mS you could turn off the constant 12v. From my experience, as long as you turn off the 12v constant power within 5 seconds of turning the ignition on, you are ready to program. I don't think this needs to be complicated. I also do not know how MPTune knows that it can start flashing the ECU.

From what I have read, the stock SBEC will need the 21v instead of the 12v Rob's flash module needs to read the chip, but that is something should be verified with Rob.
    Last edited by DoubleD; 09-13-2018 at 01:51 PM.

actually, after more thought, the flashing shouldn't be that hard to control from the device. after applying programming voltage (rx line for sbec, pin 11(?) for smec) by the device and then turning on the key, the ecu enters bootstrap mode, initializes the sci electronics and sends a break (0x00) byte down the tx line. so once the device gets that byte, it would disable the programming voltage for the sbecs but leave it on for the smecs. easy peasy. maybe that 21v port on the device may be useful for other things! main thing is to have the device powered via a constant 12v source. also we may want to think about having two programming voltage ports of 12v and 21v so both stock and boostbutton modules could be used.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Do you guys have a picture of the V2.7 boards assembled, preferably without the SD card reader installed for better visibility of the pins on the right side? I have a component which I don't know where to install. It's the RJ 150115 7dtc c piece with 3 pins.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

Brian, we're you able to log fuel air ratio and display it on the graph?
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Do you guys have a picture of the V2.7 boards assembled, preferably without the SD card reader installed for better visibility of the pins on the right side? I have a component which I don't know where to install. It's the RJ 150115 7dtc c piece with 3 pins.
    Hi Brian,
    I can send all the DIYer pictures tonight after I return home from a trip.A few tips.
    1) a Tl-431 with two 10K resistors are together in a mylar pouch. The TO-92 version of the TL-431 is the voltage reference and the two resistors are hand match for the best performance. The one with a bit of green painter tape is the one that goes on the right side of the TL-431.
    2)The DC-DC in the pink packaging is installed on the bottom side of the board, if you are using an enclosure.
    3)Due to manufacturing issue, we need to scrape a bit of solder mask off near the ground pins that lead to the Mega and apply solder. This is best to show in a picture. Once the longer male header pins are soldering in be sure the Arduino Gnd pins (located between 5V and Vin) are soldered to the ground plane solder spot https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fl2...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/11dk...ew?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pf8...ew?usp=sharing
    4)Under the SD card is 6 pins populating the 3 bottom rows of the big connector on the right side.
    5)The MOV that looks like a diode but is not....is installed near the 12V terminal and is installed standing up in the position labelled as R25.
    6) The BT modules is mounted with the Ardunio style long females header as in http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...=1#post1142430

Let me know any other questions
    Last edited by chromguy; 11-05-2018 at 10:55 AM.
    Regards,
    Miles

DD '87 Sundance T1, SLH with rear disks
    '87 CSX #432 2.5 CB TII, SLH

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I have some pics that may help. And Miles has his assembling tips.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...2LN21hCt4JaTG0
    Wayne H.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast