Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: MPSciLink

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

MPSciLink

MPSciLink is a software and hardware solution to enhance the tuning abilities of this community. This thread's purpose is to centralize discussions in the development of this product.

latest version: 1.0.2.2 (updated 9/17/19)

Product Features (Required):
    - a standalone hardware device that will remain in the vehicle and connect to the ecu through the sci system and provide additional analog ports (0-5v) for external reporting of sensor information not available in the ecu.
    - powered by the vehicle battery (no separate supply needed).
    - communicates with mpscandroid via bluetooth.
    - has standalone logging capabilities to SD card.
    - software can be updated as new features are added.
    - can be purchased assembled or as a DIY kit.
    - retrieve logged files from sd card to pc/phone.
    - save binary files to sd card from pc/phone.
    - ecu binary flashing capabilities either standalone or using mpscandroid
    - real time clock for log dating.
    - protective housing
    - nextion touch screen
    - diagnostic options (similar to drb2)

***** NOTE *****
    the nextion screens that are used with the mpscilink device are typically updated by downloading the software first to the mpscandroid device, then downloading that to the mpscilink device, and THEN updating the nextion device. i am providing the following links to allow the user to directly download the appropriate nextion screen layout file which then can be copied to an sd card directly and then inserted into the nextion sd card slot to do the update. this is MUCH faster/simpler/error free. Just make sure you download the correct file. Also, the file needs to be in the root directory of the sd card as well as only 1 tft file can be on the card. Lastly, I STRONGLY recommend users purchase <=16Gig SanDisk cards. The sd card MUST be formatted as FAT32. The SanDisk cards should work out of the box. When your nextion display needs an update a message will be displayed on the main page in red.

Select the correct display size from the following link:

Nextion Display Files

MpSciLnk35.tft - for 3.5 inch display
    MPSciLnk50.tft - for 5 inch display
    MPSciLnk70.tft - for 7 inch display

Information and order pages are now at
    MPSciLink Info
    Last edited by wowzer; 07-07-2020 at 08:06 PM.
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Re: MPSciLink

Basically using an arduino mega2560 clone. the reason being the i/o pins are 5v, 4 uart ports, 16 analog ports, lots of digital ports and a fair amount of memory and decent speed. also, as we make changes to the software, the new program could be downloaded by users and relatively easily updated using the free software available to burn the new program onto the device.

i'm waiting on some knobs/buttons/etc to test other features but from the testing i've done so far on a smec i can log over 500 bytes per second from the ecu which is WAY more than we would typically need. also, was logging a couple analog ports using just connected POTS which worked well.

Currently using a micro SD card to log data but a regular size SD card might work better just due to the size and compatibility with most PCs that have card slots. once the software side is done we'll need to get a hardware board created (probably like a shield) that incorporates the necessary chips/devices.

input, ideas, etc are welcome. i want to get the basic software side done over the next few weeks (depends on how long it takes to get my "chinese" parts) so we can do the hardware end and keep this project from dragging out for months (years). the objective, at least for me, is to keep this affordable. i don't see this being a hptuner, diablo, efilive, etc, type thing. i'm keeping the programming VERY simple, without using alot of c++ nuances so the user with a basic level of programming can read and understand the code and make changes to it (eventually).

i need to get the code developed for the LM and t2 streaming protocols yet so there's a fair amount of work to be done.

at this point my hardware list includes:
    -mega2560 r3 clone (so if you already have a mega2560 all you would need to do is buy the shield/parts)
    -74hc04 gate - used to flip the ecu ttl voltages to work with the arduino
    -hc06 bluetooth module
    -3.3v/5v level shifter - easy way to safely connect the 3.3v bluetooth pins to the 5v arduino
    -sd card device
    -ds3231 real time clock

I've order some buttons so i can incorporate a method to start/stop logging when not connected to a pc. i really am looking for suggestions for a rotary knob? with several definite detents and that can be pushed like a button. don't think i want a rotary encoder since most of those i believe can be rotated indefinitely (?). something with may 3 or 4 definite "locations". this could be used to start logging as well as in the future select a binary file to upload to the ecu. i guess if demand requires a screen than a rotary encoder may work since the user can see what is selected via the display.

done rambling.
    Last edited by wowzer; 12-11-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Wowzer,
    Great idea, thank you.

re flashing- which ECUs do you plan to support?
    Last edited by chromguy; 12-04-2015 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chromguy View Post
    Wowzer,
    Great idea, thank you.

re flashing- which ECUs do you plan to support?
    same as mpscan --> lm, smect1, smect2, sbec1, sbec2, sbec t3, and hopefully the fcc (neon) stuff down the road.

Excellent!

boostaholic

This is the entire reason I bought an arduino, but I haven't yet had the patience to learn to code well enough to make it work.

My vision was much the same as what you've described here. Bluetooth connectivity, automatic logging timestamped logging to an SD card, and open source.

I thought it would be incredibly cool to use it as the basis for a completely digital dashboard, replacing my gauge cluster with LCD panels or something.

Quote Originally Posted by iangoround View Post
    .... digital dashboard, replacing my gauge cluster with LCD panels or something.
    That is my ultimate goal, but near the end of my project

Wowzer,
    How about add through hole construction to aid the DIYer? Or are most here OK with SMD?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

instead of using sd cards can you use a thumb drive instead cause we can just put a thumb drive in a tool box drawer or pocket and not have to worry as much durability wise
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

like this set up
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	datalogger thumbdrive.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	56966
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
    instead of using sd cards can you use a thumb drive instead cause we can just put a thumb drive in a tool box drawer or pocket and not have to worry as much durability wise
    I can see the value but it is not simple and will increase your hardware costs.
    for example as my quick look
    https://www.parallax.com/product/279...52cProductName

an SD card setup is around $3 or less, the usb host controller setup is around $17-20. for the sake of affordability it's probably not the best choice for now. depends on what the overall cost is eventually. might be something we could offer as an more expensive alternative.....

boostaholic

What if there was a way to read a saved log off the SD card over the Bluetooth link?

there will be. i'll have an option to pull the directory from the sd card to the pc/phone, select a file, and then upload the csv file to the pc/phone via bluetooth.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

It's going to be pretty sweet.
    I hope everything works out well. Thanks for all the development and support you give us!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

turbo addict

Definitely in for a DIY kit.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

boostaholic

I have a running car again if you need a LM guinea pig for anything.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Reporting this here so it doesn't get lost...

https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

What is the BT logger? This device or a piggy back to the the Sci device?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

an arduino based hardware device that allows a direct connection to the ecu via the sci link connector as well as adding a hardware interface to allow 8 or more external 0-5v analog devices to be connected (e.g oil pressure, egts, oil temp,etc). it would be permanently left in the car and powered by a 12v source at key on and would run continually. connection to it would be done via bluetooth with a pc/tablet/phone as the host that would allow logging. additionally, an sd card is on the device to allow logging without a host connection to files that can be subsequently uploaded to the host. basically instead of connecting to the sci port with your laptop and the ftdi usb cable, this device would be connected to the sci port.

btw, i've got most of the arduino programming done as well as the mods to mpscan to get this to work. i should have a fairly stable working system by this weekend. all the basic parts are here and installed (i added a realtime clock this week to allow accurate log dates). i am waiting on an lcd 4x20 screen and rotary encoder to show up soon (i hope) just to "play" with and see if it could be easily incorporated either upfront or as an option. also, need to find a decent, cheap enclosure for it. getting close!!!

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast