Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cecil Test & Tune - Sat 12/5

Cecil Test & Tune - Sat 12/5

I'm heading out to Cecil tomorrow morning with Dave & Teri Skrab to make a few passes. The Skrab's are bringing their Spirit R/T and I'll be in there in my '90 Shadow (one from Drag Week) making some test passes with a new turbo set up to work on the cal a bit.

If anyone is interested, we're arriving around 830 or so and plan on being there at least through mid day, but likely longer.

Pat

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Cecil Test & Tune - Sat 12/5

Good luck, Pat!
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Good luck, Pat!
    Yes, good luck Pat, and Pat only! Sheesh!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Yes, good luck Pat, and Pat only! Sheesh!
    Hey, if that's what it takes to get you to post more...

Good luck, Pat!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

Zing!

boostaholic

Wish I could make it!
    Good luck!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

awe man sounds like a fun time.. supposed to be mild this weekend too. Good luck guys I'll be working on my car (at home) ..
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Hybrid booster

Made some boost control progress this evening, still doesn't maintain desired boost in the upper rpms, but it's better than the 14psi it was on the previous trip to the track. Excited to see what she'll accomplish in the morning.

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Can't wait to hear!
    Good luck, one and all!
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Hybrid booster

Improvements were made on the starting line, something is choking the car a bit, will post the slip later. Best of 1.80 60ft, 13.29, and best trap was a lil over 102. Last pass shattered the u joint in the intermediate shaft. Exploded a bunch of stuff, broke the extension housing on the trans. Towing the car home now.

Reminds me of the last time i ever raced my Spirit.
    Same damage as you mentioned, and same place - Cecil. Puked needle bearings everywhere.
    I did get the last extension housing for a A523 that Cliff had kicking around his yard (at the time). Luckily we were able to repair in the pits after getting all the parts so i could drive the 6 hours home.
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

My day was less exciting than Dave and Teri's. Teri was on a roll towards the 12's....I was sorry to see the car break. At least it all looks like an easy fix.

I was testing a small turbo on the car to see how much huff it had. Answer is, not quite enough! The motor is a nice t3, spearco front mount, atp swingvalve, 3" downpipe to a 3" cut out. Cal is one I've been working on.

The 50 trim I had on the car ate itself during drag week, so I slammed on the Thunderbird/SVO turbo I had on the K car. It's a t3 60 trim (not a super 60), stock exhaust wheel in a .63 housing. Thing spools like crazy and is a blast on the street. I made three "real" passes and two passes where I just ran it out in third to gather data to make adjustments. Best pass:

ST: 1.72
    330: 4.89
    1/8: 7.57
    MPH: 92.59
    1000: 9.90
    1/4: 11.90
    MPH: 112.80

This was on pump gas, 18 psi, dropping to 16. Turning the boost up only resulted in a higher spike, that I couldn't control with the boost dropping down to the same point.

Was hoping to be able to hold 18 through the rev limiter, but no such luck. If I wound it up to 6900, boost would drop to 15. Oh well...you never learn if you don't try.

Pat

Well, you do seem to like trying different combos as an exercise. You did pretty well with that limitation of the turbo.
    With a better fit, that Shadow is really going to scream.
    I think that is a pretty darn good result for only 18-15psi.

And i was hoping to hear Teri got into the 12's.
    Wayne H.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    My day was less exciting than Dave and Teri's. Teri was on a roll towards the 12's....I was sorry to see the car break. At least it all looks like an easy fix.

I was testing a small turbo on the car to see how much huff it had. Answer is, not quite enough! The motor is a nice t3, spearco front mount, atp swingvalve, 3" downpipe to a 3" cut out. Cal is one I've been working on.

The 50 trim I had on the car ate itself during drag week, so I slammed on the Thunderbird/SVO turbo I had on the K car. It's a t3 60 trim (not a super 60), stock exhaust wheel in a .63 housing. Thing spools like crazy and is a blast on the street. I made three "real" passes and two passes where I just ran it out in third to gather data to make adjustments. Best pass:

ST: 1.72
    330: 4.89
    1/8: 7.57
    MPH: 92.59
    1000: 9.90
    1/4: 11.90
    MPH: 112.80

This was on pump gas, 18 psi, dropping to 16. Turning the boost up only resulted in a higher spike, that I couldn't control with the boost dropping down to the same point.

Was hoping to be able to hold 18 through the rev limiter, but no such luck. If I wound it up to 6900, boost would drop to 15. Oh well...you never learn if you don't try.

Pat
    I'm gonna call high 11's at less than 20psi with a "tiny" responsive street turbo a success!
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

I'm certainly not unhappy, especially given that this is a full interior, unlightened car in street trim other than slicks and an opened cut out. I expected it to 1/8 mile well and fall off some on the big end as the rpms came up which it did, I was just hoping it would have held just a bit more up top. Looking at the slip in each increment, you can see it. The 1/8th at 7.57 is more indicative of an 11.5-11.6 run, but it only picked up 20 mph on the big end. You see it again even just looking at the trap speed for the et. 112 mph is extremely low for the 11.90 ET for a FWD/manual.

This set up is absolutely awesome for the street and for autox. It has a fast, linear build of power from way down low. It's easy to drive, is extremely responsive and is an easy 300-310 who with a very conservative, pump gas tune and without relying and a huge boost spike.
    Last edited by Pat; 12-06-2015 at 08:34 AM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Nice work Pat!

Working on clearing the decks.

Hybrid booster

Teri's day was a good one until 20 year old parts gave up. First pass of the day, whose slip we can't find at the moment, was a 13.55 @ 102.2 with a 1.88 60ft.
    She is still getting used to driving the car, as this is only her 3rd trip to the track. There were some botched launches mixed in there, and she made back to back personal best passes, 13.35 and then a 13.29. She was able to start taking notice of the things going on inside the car, big end of the track, she saw 15psi, and 10.9 AF. So, there is certainly a restriction happening with the car.
    As mentioned earlier, the last attempt was doomsday, the u joint in the intermediate shaft exploded on the 2nd gear shift, breaking the extension housing away from the transmission, the support bearing bracket, and the inner joint on the axle. The oil pan took pretty significant hit as well.
    There are 2 more weekends at Cecil, but I think we are done for the season.
    So, three trips to the track, and 3 personal bests for my wife. Here are the 2 best slips of the day.

And some carnage

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSkrab View Post
    As mentioned earlier, the last attempt was doomsday, the u joint in the intermediate shaft exploded on the 2nd gear shift, breaking the extension housing away from the transmission, the support bearing bracket, and the inner joint on the axle. The oil pan took pretty significant hit as well.
    Stuff like this make me want to move towards a single long axle on the passenger side even though I have several spare jackshafts.

Doesn't seem like its worth the risk some days.

Gary

Working on clearing the decks.

Hybrid booster

Agreed, I brought a long, and a short, incase of breakage, just not to this degree. Car has a quaife which requires a trimmed stub for the passenger side. Until this week, I didn't have a replacement ready. Otherwise we would have swapped it in and used the 2 piece as a backup.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    Stuff like this make me want to move towards a single long axle on the passenger side even though I have several spare jackshafts.

Doesn't seem like its worth the risk some days.

Gary
    Having run a long axle on the pass side in most of my cars for years now, I don't think it's worth it any day. If I get my CSX cal in order I'll be swapping out to a long axle in that car finally too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast