Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dex77 board issues, this may be the problem with mine?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Dex77 board issues, this may be the problem with mine?

Jon, you can by a multimeter off of Amazon which will measure capacitance for about $20. I have a very decent on that was about $30.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Do you have the schematic, or can you tell what pin is what? You should be able to find a cap with similar voltage and farad ratings to use no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by rich tideswell View Post
    don't worry about the physical size, you can bend the pins, or solder a jumper/extension if need be. if you peel back the casing and see the resistor network, maybe you can replace the individual resistor in the pack that is burnt up????

instructor response:

Richard,

I have no idea. Companies will sometime create custom components. Based on the number of pins and the component's shape and size, I would imagine this is custom. What you are seeing maybe a simple plastic sheath covering individual components. If you don't have a warranty on the part, you could try removing the sheath.

Dr. Dean
    I reached out to a guy online and he informed me that it is not a resistor, but some custom piece as you mentioned. He said that its probably proprietary and while it could be bad, he feels that the symptoms are indicative of something else, like a capacitor. He told me not to mess with that piece unless I trace the issue there. I plan to get a capacitance meter and start testing resistance and capacitors and see if I find the problem. My fear is that I'm going to find more than one as the issue and not know if I've fixed it or not and keep fiddling with it. But since it doesn't work anyways, I only have time to spend on it so here we go.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Jon, you can by a multimeter off of Amazon which will measure capacitance for about $20. I have a very decent on that was about $30.
    I was looking at them last night and found one for about that much. I just need to be able to test the capacitors really. I have a multimeter and can test the resistors. Looking online, there is good information on how to check them and what they are rated based on the color. I knew they were ID'ed that way, but didn't know how to decipher them.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Working on mapping out voltage until I can get something official, hoping I do.

I tried to power it on the other day and it still does the same thing, so going to do what the guy told me to do. Power it up and see where the dead spot is. May be a long shot, but might as well try. Would love to get my hands on a working one to replace and use this one for spare parts. This is the first rough draft. More to come.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pioneer-tuner.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	370.0 KB 
ID:	57032

Updated the attached Visio image.
    Last edited by minigts; 12-18-2015 at 07:17 PM.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Tested all the resistors and 8 were bad or had readings less than the rated resistance marked. There were a few I didn't find reference to yet, but they all tested the same resistance, so assuming they are good. Getting a capacitance tester for Christmas, so I will be able to test the capacitors soon and complete the list of pieces that need replacement.

Garrett booster

A bunch of the caps are going to be used just as noise filters for sure. The big Circle one on the right may be the main power cap. Looks like a Ceramic non polar. I would check power on the first transistor in the circuit and make sure you have power there and out from there on the middle pin. You can test power easy but you need a meter. There are most Likely voltage regulators dropping voltage for different things. So a simple test light voltage check might work but maybe not. I would not replace Anything until you find for sure the problem.

Well I'm working on the mappings to determine the flow of power. It's intimidating to say the least to build the diagram, but I did some simple testing and found there was no power going to one area, so there was definitely a break in the line somewhere. Trying to get my bearings on circuitry and making this diagram is helping.

Thanks for the info, too. I plan to do some more testing when I have some time this week.

Garrett booster

There are usually one way diodes in the power Circuit as voltage protection. If one goes bad(very rare) it won't send voltage to a section of a board. Sounds like you are getting a handle on it. Electronics are very intimidating but not hard at all. Just be patient move from a to B and pay attention. Also get a part number for the ic that is there and a pinout and check it. If the ic went bad this whole project could be a wash out before it begins it is a surface mount ic. Very very hard to remove and solder a new one into its place

- - - Updated - - -

Oh also. It is a good idea to use continuity to test at first instead of voltage just to make sure there are no shorts

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Tested all the resistors and 8 were bad or had readings less than the rated resistance marked. There were a few I didn't find reference to yet, but they all tested the same resistance, so assuming they are good. Getting a capacitance tester for Christmas, so I will be able to test the capacitors soon and complete the list of pieces that need replacement.
    You often have to remove at least one pin of a resistor from a circuit to test it. If it's still on the board there are other components around it connected to the same circuit that will affect the measured resistance value.

In all honesty, you probably killed an IC. They are the components that least like being wet.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    This one is easy, I have myself to blame, I rush things, don't pay attention to gauges when I should, change to much stuff at once then expect miracles, the list is endless.

Still checking this thing, but I found a bad diode, at least I think it is. The numbers on it that I can read are 182 and on the other one I can read 5.1, so assuming it's 5.182. Not sure what this means or how to confirm what it should be. The test I did was resistance and it measured the same both directions, which I think means it is bad, whereas the other of the same likeness only read resistance one direction. Anyone have an idea what a suitable replacement would be?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160503_141627.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	749.1 KB 
ID:	58117 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160503_142854.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	58118 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160503_143113.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	877.3 KB 
ID:	58119

Nevermind. Unsoldered it and it tested fine. The other diodes seem to test properly, but this one failed, why is that? When I pulled the one I thought it was bad, the other one that was close tested the same as the one I just removed. When I reinstalled it, the tests were the same before I removed it. So something in between is failing I guess?
    Last edited by minigts; 05-03-2016 at 04:52 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12