Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dex77 board issues, this may be the problem with mine?

Dex77 board issues, this may be the problem with mine?

From what I've been able to find out, this is a ceramic capacitor, although it looks like a resistor on some sites. Almost all if not all I have seen appear to have a liquid in them, but this one seems to be different. Anyone ever dealt with electronics to confirm this is good or bad? Any chance I would find a suitable replacement? It's the long one in the top left and bottom right of the two pics, respectively.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151130_101720.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	56934 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151130_101733.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	56935

Tried finding the part online via the number, but it only came up with text and no pictures. Two places had part numbers for the CWW1015, but no pics to confirm. Roughly $35-40 for the part. I'm assuming older radios would have similar capacitors/resistors, so anyone who can pull one apart and see if a late 80's radio has this or even if there is a suitable replacement using parts from today, I would appreciate the advice or info.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Dex77 board issues, this may be the problem with mine?

Here is a decent solution I found.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X470...l.html?tp=5684
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Well I'm trying to find a way to possibly repair this one instead of just letting it die. I have something I'm going to use in the interim, but was hoping to find a way to repair this, for nostalgic value. Ordered some items that will allow me to power it up while it's out of the car to check things and be able to play around with it. Thanks for the thought though Mike!
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Does anyone have some old radios they could check and see if one of these capacitors/resistors are on the board? I know it would take taking one apart and I'm willing to pay for the board or piece if you want to remove it and can do it without damaging it. Otherwise, I would buy the board and pay for shipping. Just would like to try fixing it if I can. I'd like to swap out this piece and see if it will change anything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151130_101720.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	56934 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151130_101733.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	56935

The one I'm referring to is the tan one with 5 pins top left and bottom right of the pictures.
    Last edited by minigts; 12-08-2015 at 04:57 PM.

boostaholic

What radio is this out of? I have an old cassette deck sitting on my porch I could check.

This is the DEX 77 out of the Lancer. I have seen that same piece or like it on other radios, so I'm hoping there are some radios out there where I can harvest the piece I need. If I knew how it worked and could update it and make it work, I'd go that route. But a like for like piece would be preferred. If you could check that would help either confirm there are radios out there I can use for parts or confirm the opposite.

Hybrid booster

What are the symptoms with this radio, why do you think that part is bad? I'm just curious. I enjoy messing with stuff like this. I've got a radio from an 86 Charger I can tear apart.

Well I know why it started failing, but symptoms are that it will turn on and then immediately turn off. My guess is something is storing power until it is turned on and then once that is released, that's all. Turn the car off and back on and the same thing happens. Before it would do that, but try and turn back on and keep doing it until things had been on for a bit, I'm assuming something warmed up and eventually it would stay on long enough to use it.

But when I got the car, the radio worked. When driving the car back home, I stopped in Phoenix for work that week and had to carry around some water until I got a chance to address an overheating issue. Well the water fell over and opened up and flooded the area where the amps and tuner were. Originally I took the tuner apart to see the board had some sort of film on it that didn't look like anything I had seen. This chip was under an area that was soldered to the board, like a metal cover. That resistor or capacitor is the only thing that doesn't look right and had some of that film stuff more aggregated around it, so assuming it's the source of the issue. I haven't tested any capacitors or other pieces because I think this is the source of the problem, but I have no way to tell. But aside from that, I would like to get some spare parts from other radios that were using similar technology at the time so that if something else goes or if this isn't the problem, I will have some I can use.

If this were any other stock radio I would just put something else in it's place. Thanks for checking RF and Ian!

Hybrid booster

Related story: A couple years ago my wireless router stopped working. It would turn on, but halfway through the power up process it would shut back off. I was too cheap/broke to buy a new one so I opened it up. My general knowledge/experience with electronics told me to look where the power comes in and check the capacitors. 2 of the capacitors looked "swollen." I de-soldered them, took them to radio shack, matched them up, bought some new ones for under $2, and soldered them in. It worked! That router still works fine to this day, but I did finally upgrade to a better one lol. Moral of the story, this stuff can be fixed! I'll tear my radio apart this weekend sometime, may not be today though as I've got a birthday party to throw for my kids.

Quote Originally Posted by RattFink View Post
    Related story: A couple years ago my wireless router stopped working. It would turn on, but halfway through the power up process it would shut back off. I was too cheap/broke to buy a new one so I opened it up. My general knowledge/experience with electronics told me to look where the power comes in and check the capacitors. 2 of the capacitors looked "swollen." I de-soldered them, took them to radio shack, matched them up, bought some new ones for under $2, and soldered them in. It worked! That router still works fine to this day, but I did finally upgrade to a better one lol. Moral of the story, this stuff can be fixed! I'll tear my radio apart this weekend sometime, may not be today though as I've got a birthday party to throw for my kids.
    Well the fact that it even turned on after having been submerged in water while power was applied to it speaks a lot to the durability of these things. I'm hoping it can be fixed by replacing this or even a capacitor, although I didn't see any that looked bad or swollen. I figure if I get this swapped and it's still not working that I would start checking resistors and if I couldn't fix it, I'd take it to this guy my friend says may be able to repair it, as he knows electronics fairly well and fixes stuff like this.

No problem, just whenever you can get to it. Thanks for checking!

Hybrid booster

Stock 86 charger tape deck. The boards are soldered to the outside case, but I peeked through the front and there is absolutely nothing that resembles the part you need.

Hybrid booster

Is the dex 77 made by pioneer? I've got an old alpine cd player dated 96 and a stock chrysler dated 03, I doubt those would have what you need.

DEX is a Pioneer radio. Worth checking though, thanks for doing it. I was hoping one of the stock radios would have similar parts. :-\

The other radios may have the piece, maybe. The 03 probably won't, but maybe the mid 90's will. Again, thank you for looking!

Hybrid booster

The mid 90s alpine is waaaay different. Much simpler/less circuitry. May be a good idea finding an early 90s pioneer?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Do you have the schematic, or can you tell what pin is what? You should be able to find a cap with similar voltage and farad ratings to use no problem.

turbo addict

Pioneer supplies almost every automaker, perhaps it was a different brands (Ford, GM, etc... from around 1987ish) radio you saw the part in????

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Do you have the schematic, or can you tell what pin is what? You should be able to find a cap with similar voltage and farad ratings to use no problem.
    I had a ton written on my phone, hit the back button and lost it all. The short is, I'm getting one, but right now I don't know what anything should be doing and what is correct or acceptable readings for voltage or resistance. My goal is to identify whether or not the brown dealio is good or bad and then go from there. If I can replace it with something else that does the same thing, I will for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rich tideswell View Post
    Pioneer supplies almost every automaker, perhaps it was a different brands (Ford, GM, etc... from around 1987ish) radio you saw the part in????
    I may not have seen it in another radio, but I thought I had. I've had the stock radios apart before and I could have sworn I saw what is in the pic, but RattFink checked the stock radio he has and no go. Maybe it was in one of the Infinity systems or maybe I just thought I saw it. Hard to imagine this wasn't a common electronic part though in the late 80's. It's a Pioneer unit and it was in other vehicles from what I've read online, but I don't see them for sale at all, so I can't buy a spare.

Checking with a guy this week who supposedly can fix things like this, hopefully that will prove fruitful.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I may not have seen it in another radio, but I thought I had. I've had the stock radios apart before and I could have sworn I saw what is in the pic, but RattFink checked the stock radio he has and no go. Maybe it was in one of the Infinity systems or maybe I just thought I saw it. Hard to imagine this wasn't a common electronic part though in the late 80's. It's a Pioneer unit and it was in other vehicles from what I've read online, but I don't see them for sale at all, so I can't buy a spare.

Checking with a guy this week who supposedly can fix things like this, hopefully that will prove fruitful.
    I emailed my old electrical engineering professor your photo looking for help, we'll see when he gets back to me. I know this doesn't help given you're in TN, but there's a place in Warren, MI that repairs radios, they might have it.

TE HUNT
    24607 Schoenherr Rd
    Warren, MI 48089
    586-757-6407
    http://hunt-radio.com/

Ok, this is what I found out from reading through some data sheets. I think I may be onto the right track, but I have real no idea since I don't know much about these things. It seems this is a 5 pin 101 68k resistor. The findings on page two of this page, http://cdn-reichelt.de/documents/dat...erke%23YAG.pdf and page 3 of this page, http://cdn-reichelt.de/documents/dat...erke%23YAG.pdf, give me the idea that this is a bussed resistor given the extension info on my resistor. It also seems to be a ceramic resistor based on the outer cover and descriptions I've read so far.

The solid square before the number I think indicates that this is pin 1. I don't know what the cww stands for, but the 101 seems to be the type of resistor (bussed), the 5 is the pin count, I don't know what the AR means and the 68 is the measure of Ohms. The last piece I thought was part of the number, but it appears to be the manufacturer, maybe. That's what I'm coming up with and it helps a lot. If I'm right, now I know the type, orientation and resistance and that may help me track down better a source for it. Seems most that I have found that have 5 pins are a tad smaller than this one, but I'm not surprised given the advancements in tech over 30 years. Hoping my assessment is accurate.

Rich, thanks for the info too. I have a guy I'm checking with locally, but if that doesn't yield any results I'll give these guys a go. I now possibly have something to go on.

turbo addict

don't worry about the physical size, you can bend the pins, or solder a jumper/extension if need be. if you peel back the casing and see the resistor network, maybe you can replace the individual resistor in the pack that is burnt up????

instructor response:

Richard,

I have no idea. Companies will sometime create custom components. Based on the number of pins and the component's shape and size, I would imagine this is custom. What you are seeing maybe a simple plastic sheath covering individual components. If you don't have a warranty on the part, you could try removing the sheath.

Dr. Dean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast