Thread: how to test pt lifters/ Bleed

Hybrid booster

how to test pt lifters/ Bleed

I'm rebuilding a 2.4T block and pretty much upgraded all I can with new parts. The lifters for some reason are all out of stock. My dealer charges 25$ each(Canadian) which I find is crazy and are not in stock. 2-3 weeks down time! I found some sealed power units , but only 11 of them. part # HT 2278. That being said. How do I know if the ones I got are good. How to I bleed and test the old ones? The block has been sitting for quite some time. I tried bleeding them by pushing down on the little bleeder/valve on top but nothing happings. Put it in a vice and got to move a little and drip oil. Put good amount of pressure. Just does not feel right!
    Can somebody help me on this?

turbo addict

Re: how to test pt lifters/ Bleed

You should be able to use a wire sized to the top hole but that wire needs to reach the lower section of the adjuster. There is a ball valve inside that the wire will unseat allowing the piston to depress. If there is oil in the adjuster and the ball valve is in place you should not be able to move the piston. If the piston doesn't move down while the ball valve is being manually unseated then the adjuster is frozen and no good.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Get the MP lifters, pack of 4, most dealers carry them and around $50.

Why do you want to bleed them? They are self bleeding. The only real way to check them is after you shut the car off, let them sit and push down on the rocker arm, any loose ones are junk.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

Engine builder wanted to bleed them and couldn't. He usually checks them and asked me to get new ones in case they where bad. He just wanted to be safe. Gets expensive when you are putting everything new in the block!!

Garrett booster

how to test pt lifters/ Bleed

I went around pulling the pt lifters out of wrecked cars until i had two sets to cherry pick. They still have some springiness when the oil is bled out. Should compress and return easily when the oil is gone. Will clack loudly on first start until the oil builds back up. That should happen in a few seconds and they will quiet down if they are good.