Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 89 Lancer Shelby; Truly Strange Event

Garrett booster

89 Lancer Shelby; Truly Strange Event

My Lancer had running oddly the last week or so, accelerating at a nominal pace, no problem; getting into it the engine would sort of cut out at about 4,000 RPM and then catch up again. I figured that it was time to replace the fuel filter. I replaced the FF and went out to test the car yesterday morning. Same deal, cutting out at 4,000 RPM, but now at any level of acceleration. Plenty of gas in the tank. Almost like it was getting spark, then not getting it. Anyhow, driving down the road about a mile from home the car just stops running, and here is the Truly Strange Part, all the gauges in the dash died, or registered strange values, just like in the X-Files when a UFO is near. I turned off the ignition key, then tried to start the car again. All of the gauges were back to normal but the car would't start. Cranked and cranked but no sign of life. I am going to have to trouble-shoot this pig but, before I get out there and start hacking away, I was wondering if any of you have had a similar experience and could give me some direction before I begin the operation. P.S. checked for UFOs but did not see any. Doesn't mean there wasn't one there.

turbo addict

Re: 89 Lancer Shelby; Truly Strange Event

Hall Effect Sensor and it's wiring would be where I'd start. Check the codes???

boostaholic

fusible link maybe. I had a smec go bad on me where everything just died while driving...same thing..no gauges.

Before you start replacing parts, narrow down what is missing; fuel, spark, air or combustion. See which is missing and go from there. The hall effect is always a suspect, but in my experience is usually not the issue. A bad or weak coil will cause what you're seeing too. If you turn the car on, do you hear the fuel pump prime?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Check your fuel pressure. My SL had a similar issue. The repair ended up being a new tank, fuel pump and fuel filter.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Do you lose anything but the gauges when this happens? I had a crazy problem with my 90 Shadow that was kind of like you describe. It ended up being a bad ign switch.

Hybrid booster

check engine and harness grounds

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Do you lose anything but the gauges when this happens? I had a crazy problem with my 90 Shadow that was kind of like you describe. It ended up being a bad ign switch.
    I'd start here and they are cheap and known to fail- The fact the gauges went spastic is showing you might have more than one problem.

Check basics before throwing parts at it though; rpm related issues could be a pickup or coil or fueling issue but could also be jumped cam/distributor timing. That has bit many a turbo dodge owner on the --- before.

Gary

Working on clearing the decks.

turbo addict

Put the ASD relay on your radar, too. I had very similar events such as yours, turned out that the ASD relay was going south. They're around $15 to replace ... or, if your lancer has A/C you can swap that relay for the ASD relay to see if it helps. They both should be on the driver side fender near the strut tower.

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    Put the ASD relay on your radar, too. I had very similar events such as yours, turned out that the ASD relay was going south. They're around $15 to replace ... or, if your lancer has A/C you can swap that relay for the ASD relay to see if it helps. They both should be on the driver side fender near the strut tower.
    In my 89 Daytona the ASD and AC relays were keyed differently. That stopped me from being able to easily swap out one for the other. It ended up being the relay after I thought I fixed the problem about 20 times.

Garrett booster

All, much good advice, thank you! Just got back to this, going to chase fuel first. Won't be really starting until tomorrow. I was browsing through the manual though and, since I am a check the simplest thing first kind of guy I'm thinking "fuel pump fuse" but, thus far, I see no evidence of such a beast. Just curious as to whether you guys could point me in the right direction on that.

Garrett booster

turbo addict

When I first got into TMs my shadow did the 4k cutout thing after banging over boost a few times. If the tensioner is down instead of up they can skip a tooth when over boost hits because its so violent. I chased my tail on it for months. Finally broke down and checked the cam timing and it was off by 2 teeth. Ran good, and pulled great to 4k, but it felt like hitting a wall at 4k. Definitely not your no start issue, but if you fix that and its still their check and double check the cam timing. If you cheat and do it the lazy way it takes all of 15 min if you have no covers.

turbo addict

The tensioner is supposed to be down though. If it was up the factory belt tension tool wouldn't work.

Garrett booster

Disconnected the fuel line between the fuel pump and the fuel filter. Turned on the ignition, no fuel flow. Cranked the engine a bit, no fuel flow. Would like to put some voltage to the pump without having to drop the fuel tank. Is there a place in the wiring that I can disconnect the pump, add 12 volts and see if the rascal spins?

turbo addict

12v to the positive side of the coil will activate the ASD relay which will turn the fuel pump on.

Garrett booster

Fuel pump is good. 12v to the pump connector at the tank, plenty of fuel flow. Returning to the fray.

Garrett booster

GLHNSLHT2: put +12V to the positive side of the coil, fuel pump pumps fuel. Put voltmeter on coil, turn on ignition, I do not see +12v at the positive side of the coil. Looks like "not a fuel problem" but whatever is not putting +12v to the coil (and elsewhere?). Going back to redo all of the fuel line fittings. I am learning stuff at this point : )

Quote Originally Posted by hewhobarksatdogs View Post
    GLHNSLHT2: put +12V to the positive side of the coil, fuel pump pumps fuel. Put voltmeter on coil, turn on ignition, I do not see +12v at the positive side of the coil. Looks like "not a fuel problem" but whatever is not putting +12v to the coil (and elsewhere?). Going back to redo all of the fuel line fittings. I am learning stuff at this point : )
    You need to check for 12v off of the J2(?) wire at the ASD relay. It's the larger blue wire that is on that relay. It also runs to the diagnostic module connector if that helps you identify it.

Garrett booster

Thanks, Cordes! If I do not have it there, what next?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast