Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Relentless 2016

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Re: Relentless 2016

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Any info on the 5 speed conversion? Especially the in car stuff? I've done a 600 vert before, but I may do my NYer too. I'd love to make it look stock. I wouldn't do it any other way actually.
    My memory is fuzzy but the pedals are standard g-body stuff as is the shock tower clutch cable bracket. The hardest part I think would be to find the console bits. The Reliant was already a console car so all I had to get was the shifter bezel with boot which was indeed the last one in Chrysler inventory at the time.

Working on clearing the decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
    I'm calling it now....9's right off the trailer
    Well lets walk before we can run again ;-)

There is a LOT of ground work that has to be done before the car will start running even its old numbers. The car was very comfortable running in the 10.4-10.5 range but it was a lot of work to get everything just so. Now everything is going to be changing including the electronics so there is going to be a steep learning curve.

The plan I'm kicking around is to get the cage and back half completed and fresh paint. All of the wiring is going to be pulled from the car and replaced with new stuff from scratch. The car is going to have aftermarket electronics so I can run a crank triggered system and avoid the spark scatter that killed the last motor.

The first engine (phase I) will just be tossed together so I can get the car "off the trailer" so to speak but it should still be stout enough to run in the 10's

The phase II motor will be fairly different than the phase I which will incorporate a lot of stuff I was doodling around with like tube header, different intercooler and reverse flow cooling system.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	car_in_air.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	198.5 KB 
ID:	56831

Picture of the day- Something old..

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    Best thread ever Gary!!

I remember when you bought the Reliant at auction and converted it to 5 speed.

You posted you got the last 5 sp shifter bezel in the country if I remember correctly.

As Shadow said, your writing is excellent, just like your mechanical skills !!

Relentless =skill-honesty-integrity-father-role model-innovator-sharing knowledge-fund raiser (Gus) and more.

Thanks
    Randy
    Thank you for the kind words; I try and be a good role model for the kids even though it and I can be a PITA at times.

Anything of value rarely is easy.

If I can make it through life with a handful of close friends, kids raised to be decent adults and look at myself in the mirror knowing I did my best its been a good life indeed. I don't alway succeed but at least I take a stab at it and always try to refine myself to be a better person after stumbling.

boostaholic

I want to know what happens next

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    I want to know what happens next
    Not sure I understand the nature of your question as I have already laid out what happens next.

chassis -> paint -> initial drivetrain -> final drivetrain

Pics have been sent to the individual who will be doing the cage work and were going to get together to toss around some ideas and come up with a solid vision and plan for moving forward.

I am going to have to get a TIG welder (now that Andy is in NC) and brush up on aluminum welding along with a lathe, I think there is going to be a whole bunch of fabrication going on.
    Last edited by mopar-tech; 11-23-2015 at 09:03 AM.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post

Name:	car_in_air.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	198.5 KB 
ID:	56831

Picture of the day- Something old..
    Good times there!

boostaholic

I didn't have much time so I scanned the thread. I thought it was interesting and wanted to subscribe to it. Didn't see that you had a plan already outlined, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    I didn't have much time so I scanned the thread. I thought it was interesting and wanted to subscribe to it. Didn't see that you had a plan already outlined, sorry.
    No worries.

I wasn't sure if you were asking what the plan was for the car or planning on doing to it next, etc.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Cant wait to see you and this car back at it!

To quote Pat Culkin

"There may be a future for you in these cars."
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post

To quote Pat Culkin

Pat's delivery was perfect and still makes me laugh.

Hybrid booster

Glad to see you back at it again and having fun Gary.

I'll hopefully make it to an event or two next season and catch up.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor rx2mazda's Avatar

Subscribed, can't wait!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

I'd been wondering about what your sig line meant, "Almost Time" I was thinking Zombie Apocalypse or maybe you and your friends voting Hillary into office(JK Bro, don't shank me at SDAC) but now that I see you've changed it to " It is time, Buckle Up", I get it. Should be a fun ride, your exploits and posted material never fails to entertain

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

My memory is fuzzy but the pedals are standard g-body stuff as is the shock tower clutch cable bracket. The hardest part I think would be to find the console bits. The Reliant was already a console car so all I had to get was the shifter bezel with boot which was indeed the last one in Chrysler inventory at the time.
    Thanks for the info. That's how I did the 600 that I had, and the console part was the hardest with that one too. I guess I'll have to keep an eye out in the yards.

Name:	DSCN8904_R.jpg 
Views:	727 
Size:	168.7 KB 
ID:	56833

Name:	DSC00055.jpg 
Views:	714 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	56845

Name:	DSC00053.jpg 
Views:	681 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	56840Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00050.jpg 
Views:	675 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	56841Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00049.jpg 
Views:	682 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	56842Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00048.jpg 
Views:	676 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	56843Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00054.jpg 
Views:	655 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	56844

Quote Originally Posted by Gaboon View Post
    Glad to see you back at it again and having fun Gary.

I'll hopefully make it to an event or two next season and catch up.
    Racing is the fun part Joey, once the damn car (CSX for example..) decides to get with the program. There are at times getting a car back into functioning condition brings its own satisfaction...

I'm looking forward to hitting more events in 2016, hopefully we run into each other!

Pic today is something current... The old panel will be going away and think I will be fabricating a 3/16 "flat panel" with gauges and wiring exposed. Already started researching a TIG welder like the Lincoln Square Wave 200. Eastwood has a TIG that is much less but I'm willing to pay a premium for the Lincoln but still doing research.

Speaking of Joey- Track picture is Joey and I facing off in Canada for final round of the quick 8, he graciously gave me time to change out a headgasket on the Reliant before final round. I think we got it done in about 45 minutes.
    Last edited by mopar-tech; 11-24-2015 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    I'd been wondering about what your sig line meant, "Almost Time" I was thinking Zombie Apocalypse or maybe you and your friends voting Hillary into office(JK Bro, don't shank me at SDAC) but now that I see you've changed it to " It is time, Buckle Up", I get it.
    Just a matter of getting my house and garage in order before moving forward.. And I still have projects around the house that need addressing! We will just get them done on the fly is all..

Pat's delivery was perfect and still makes me laugh.
    Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Cant wait to see you and this car back at it!

To quote Pat Culkin

And I stand by that statement. Gary, you're showing very positive signs. Keep working and we'll see what you can do. Ha ha. :-)

Glad to see you're back on the Reliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Gary, you're showing very positive signs.
    Sounds like something there should be a 12 step recovery program.

TV announcer voice: Do you wake up at night dreaming of forced induction? Assemble cars in your head as a way of falling back to sleep? Dream of fast lap times and easy parts availability? You might have a gearheafdianturboaddictionem! Recovery counselors are standing by to assist you for this terrible, life altering affliction! CALL NOW.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Brian Slowe helping out with the safety equipment/chassis? Seems like these days making power on a turbo setup comes so easy that you can get well ahead of your chassis certifications. Ruins the fun if you can't turn up the wick. A decade ago people were pushing really hard and not going fast enough to sweat their chassis. Now you have to know before you start one of these projects that a huge chunk of time and $ has to go into something other than the go fast department. Chassis is my real mood killer right now.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast