Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Relentless 2016

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Relentless 2016

First something old I think that has never been posted... text taken from my "whats new page"

This is how my week in August of 2000 went....

Wednesday night found Heather and myself at Englishtown for a wednesday night test 'n tune- it was wall to wall street racers and imports! Time to open a can of whoop ---! The Reliant had a 1/2 hour of running time on the new engine so the first pass was an easy 22 psi of boost (the lowest setting for my new hybrid T3/T4 turbo) I came out of the hole fairly easy not know what to expect- the timing was set retarded 7degrees because of the new fastburn head (I was going to play with the timing a few degrees at a time- retarding it was a pre-caution due to the fast burn heads faster pressure rise) and I didn't know how the turbo was going to spool so I can out of the hole fairly lazy. The car ran 12.0 @ 113 mph with a 1.81 S.T. Everything looked good so the boost was set to 30 psi and I came out of the hole a little more aggressive and the car rapped off a 11.26 at 120.8 with a 1.76 S.T. I was STOKED! and this was with the intercooler hose popping off on the top end beforethe traps!!!!! Man I got 10's in the bag!!! run number three the hose popped off again in the damn burnout box!!!! Run number 4 the car launched ok but the car started breaking up BAD and THEN the intercooler
    hose blew once more! ARG!!!

Trailing the car back home I was wondering why the car crapped out on the last pass and when I did a check over the next morning I found the reason- Busted number 1 spark plug ceramic (OUCH!) While I was dwelling on this new problem I came to the conclusion that my double core intercooler was NOT flowing enough air and this was causing the hoses to blow off and it had to be replaced- yet how was I going to get one in time for the import race next week at Cecil County? DOUBLE ARG!! While I was cruising the countryside clearing out every Peterbuilt truck dealer of the superdudybadtotheboneneverblowoff hose clamps a solution hit me- I would reinstall a FACTORY intercooler in the stock location and "Y" into the existing plumbing! YIPPEE! LOL! AND IT WORKED!!!

Well we loaded up the car and Heather and myself headed south to Cecil County friday morning- we were going to hit the track friday night for a test & tune to make sure the car was running perfectly before stomping he crap out of a pack of imports saturday morning... The very first pass the car left HARD and was screaming when at the 1/8 mile the damn car blew off a DIFFERENT hose! damnit! $%^$#^!! It was only pipe I didn't weld a lip onto!! Steve Menegon and myself busted out a pair of vise grips and a file and quickly bent a "lip" onto the offending pipe and reassembled everything in a hurry (I wanted to get back out to the track, Cecil is JAMMING on a friday night)

Aug. 12, 2000 7:14 P.M.

Relentless made a 10.98 pass at 126 mph with a 1.82 S.T! Man what a RIDE! The track feels like it's paved with cobblestones at 3/4 track (unlike e-town which is like driving on plate glass) and the car was vibrating so bad I could barely read the gauges!! I kept thinking "1450-1450-1450" as I watched the EGT gauge and tried to keep the car going in a straight line with the rear of the car dancing around! I swear I could hear Steve a'holloring all the way down at the far end of the track! He was hopping up and down like a 5 year at the starting line after the car broke into the 10's! He-he! The crowd went NUTS! I headed back to the pits to give the car a look over (and make sure all the intercooler hoses where still hanging in there) and wheeled back into staging... I dialed in a littttttle more boost and came out of the hole a tad more aggressive and the car clicked off a picture perfect 10.86 @ 127 with a 1.74 S.T. At that point it was time to call it a night, as I was loading the car for the trip to Steves place a gentlemen in a new 300 pulled up, rolled down his window and uttered the words that would
    make the night perfect-

"Man that is one BAD --- car!" =)

Amen brother, amen!

Saturday morning we headed back to the track- Steve was racing his GTC today (New clutch) Mike Marra was there with Contraption, Mike Demoss showed up with his GLHS and there were a few other Shelby Dodges among the imports... Car passed tech no problem (NHRA 10.00 legal thank you very much!) all though the tech inspector asked me what it will run and I told him I was shooting for low 11's today.. He laughed and said are you sure about that? I was here last night!! We both laughed and I explained that I was more interested in test'n tune today then trying to break records- wouldn't you know the damn car made a liar out of me on the first pass by running a 10.92 at 117 mph (a different hose was popped off damnit!) Steve and myself sliced ourselves to death getting the darn hose back on (It's a REAL tight fit and right off the turbo! can you say HOT!!!) For some reason my first pass was not counted as qualification for the FWD quick 8 and I made a second pass- Unfortunately right behind a car with an oil leak that misted the track with oil!! still Relentless was up to the task at hand and ran a 11.2 at 125mph with the slicks spinning well into 2nd gear!! people in the stands were amazed to see a k-car spinning the slicks PAST them in the grandstands out over 150 ft! The time was good enough to give me the number 2 spot on the ladder (Mike Demoss had the number 1 spot by a few hundreds of a second) Well after that we hung out and waited for the Quick 8 to begin, and waited... and waited.... It seems that there wasn't enough cars entered at the track for the sponsors to make the full pay out so they combined the RWD and FWD classes! It figures! There was a low 10 second rotary MG roadster there that day! ahh well anything could happen....

First round had me paired up against a 10.4 RWD Toyota somethingorother with a big wing in the back- ouch! When they called out on the PA that they were sticking us with the faster RWD cars I installed the bottle in the car (thats correct- all passes this weekend were made without NOS) and felt that I could give him a run for the money. As it was they were running a pro tree and it threw both of us off and as luck would have it it was a double bog launch by BOTH of us and HE had the better reaction time but Relentless recovered first and sprinted like mad to the finish line running 11.5 at 127 to the other racers 12.44 at 132 mph!

Round two had me a paired against a 11.3 VW rabbit (the event sponsor no less) and we haggled over lane choice and I lost the coin toss- A good thing as it turned out as a VW powered roadster puked it's engine in his lane right in front of him! The odds where in my favor with the faster car and better lane now but I wasn't taking any chances as I left him at the tree with a 7 tenths better reaction time and never looked back with a smoking 10.97 @ 127 mph pass.

Round three had me pitted against the darn RWD 10.2 MG roadster- I'd need every trick I could think of to beat this guy! A quick look under the hood of the k-car showed another damn hose coming off! Steve and Mike ran off to get me an extra clamp and we worked like mad to get the hose on tighter and stuff the clamp in- I planned on upping the boost a tad and didn't want to loose the hose! Well to make a long story short I managed to tree the guy but his car pulled an AMAZING 1.49 short time and his car ran a 10.2 @ 132 mph to my losing 10.95 @ 128 mph (33 psi). It was the best I could do and then some but was just totally out tractioned and out powered- I tried hitting the bottle in second gear but it made the car misfire and I shut it down at once to prevent any damage. Still second place was good for a nice trophy and $200 bucks!

Gary

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reliant_39.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	56812Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reliant_38.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	56811

Working on clearing the decks.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Relentless 2016

First in! I can't wait to see how this progresses.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

I certainly remember reading the first half of that tale, as my original twin turbo build was going to have a single factory stock I/C for each turbo at that time. After reading the restriction limit you had found I shifted gears and drew up a New plan to run Dual cores after each turbo

It was Inspiring to say the least, to go to my brothers (I didn't even have internet back then lol) and read up on your latest endeavors, but I believe it was the Way you told the story that Really got me hooked! Like I was Right there while it was happening!

That was the worst part of that catastrophic failure that sidelined you all these years.................No more Stories!

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Hybrid booster

Looking forward to this thread, Gary. One of my favorite experiences was slamming a couple pistons in there in what, 90minutes? In the pits, with hand tools.
    I still wish I could have been there in person the day you landed on paydirt.
    I am one of many who are thrilled to see you back at it!
    *subscribed*

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

I knew it !! I know I remember seeing a post about something to do with relentless getting back on track a while ago but can't find the post... great news seeing this thread come together definitely will be following this

- - - Updated - - -

and thanks for the video
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    That was the worst part of that catastrophic failure that sidelined you all these years.................No more Stories!
    Heather and I parting company did far more damage than a failed oil pump gear on the Reliant. I wanted nothing to do with anything automotive for several years and it was only a deliberate attempt on my part to "get back into cars" and get my feet wet with the Duster in 2008 and return to my roots for awhile that has finally lead me to where I'm at now. The Duster was the main project for a bit, there were renovations to the house, the Dart showed up in 2011 and got worked on in 2012 till the garage showed up and that pretty much sucked up the rest of the year aside from picking up the root beer GTX. The blue GTX banged back to life winter 2012/2013 after being parked for a decade and that kept me busy for several months. The old "dodge garage" got a full makeover the fall and winter of 2013. Picked up the '71 Sebring fall of 2013 but that was parked and untouched till I had spare time. Root beer GTX was sold in early 2014 and picked up the Challenger and sold the Neon. Did a roof on the house and shed. Kyle and I went through the '71 early this year during the winter along with some major work to the pickup.

And the CSX you know as this years project along with the furnace for the house.

I feel more comfortable digging into projects this year coming up as more things are "settled" around the house.

If all goes to plan, both the Dart (which has been sitting since 2012) and the Reliant will be worked on more or less the same time. A good deal of the work on the Dart is already done, it just needs assembly.
    Last edited by mopar-tech; 11-22-2015 at 02:08 PM.

Name:	P6030010.JPG 
Views:	280 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	56821Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6030009.JPG 
Views:	280 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	56822Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6030008.JPG 
Views:	275 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	56823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6030007.JPG 
Views:	296 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	56824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6030006.JPG 
Views:	272 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	56825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6030001.JPG 
Views:	263 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	56826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6030011.JPG 
Views:	265 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	56827

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSkrab View Post
    Looking forward to this thread, Gary. One of my favorite experiences was slamming a couple pistons in there in what, 90minutes? In the pits, with hand tools.
    I still wish I could have been there in person the day you landed on paydirt.
    I am one of many who are thrilled to see you back at it!
    *subscribed*
    We did good, finally found the limit of stock 2.5 pistons and then I swapped over to forged.

I'll have to see if I have the original picture Dave, its somewhere but with several thousand pics it will take awhile to find. (found them)

Highest praise I ever got I think was from Super Stock guys the next day telling us WE were hardcore for rebuilding an engine in the pits.
    Last edited by mopar-tech; 11-22-2015 at 01:10 PM.

Oh boy, here we go. Been waiting for this a long time. Gary, you owe me a couple of hits at the track in Relentless Really glad to see you back here.
    best 1/8 ET-6.16 sec. best 1/8 speed-119.70 Best 1/4 MPH 145.5, Best 1/4 ET 9.65 sec. 8 valve NO NITROUS!!

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

Good stuff Gary! Glad to see you got bit by the bug again.
    I want to see Relentless, The Contraption, Steve's GTC, Slugmobile, MeanMini, Seth's TIII GLHS, and several others all in the same place someday. Maybe an SDAC, or just at the track, but it needs to happen.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Name:	DSCN8908.JPG 
Views:	227 
Size:	677.1 KB 
ID:	56830

turbo addict

Hey Gary can we get 2010 video resolutions yet? 720p would be great. Can't wait to see what happens with the car. Still going to run the FM "header"????

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Hey Gary can we get 2010 video resolutions yet? 720p would be great.
    Don't pick on my camera man! Coolpix L100 takes fine pics but the video is not so good.

I needed the camera to take shots of the work to be done.

And... the pictures have been sent...

Still going to run the FM "header"????
    Nope. It was identified as a restriction and I have a bit of stainless that has been waiting to be used.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor jonnymopar's Avatar

Sub-effing-scribed.
    Jon J.

1989 Daytona ES 2.4L DOHC
    2003 Neon SXT - gone but never forgotten

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

Hybrid booster

So glad to see some godfathers of turbo dodge speed getting back into it! Welcome back Gary!

Corby

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Stramer View Post
    Oh boy, here we go. Been waiting for this a long time. Gary, you owe me a couple of hits at the track in Relentless Really glad to see you back here.
    Good to be back Warren, your car is a jewel of workmanship and inspiration.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Awesome Gary! Subscribed!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Best thread ever Gary!!

I remember when you bought the Reliant at auction and converted it to 5 speed.

You posted you got the last 5 sp shifter bezel in the country if I remember correctly.

As Shadow said, your writing is excellent, just like your mechanical skills !!

Relentless =skill-honesty-integrity-father-role model-innovator-sharing knowledge-fund raiser (Gus) and more.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    Best thread ever Gary!!

I remember when you bought the Reliant at auction and converted it to 5 speed.

You posted you got the last 5 sp shifter bezel in the country if I remember correctly.

As Shadow said, your writing is excellent, just like your mechanical skills !!

Relentless =skill-honesty-integrity-father-role model-innovator-sharing knowledge-fund raiser (Gus) and more.

Thanks
    Randy
    Any info on the 5 speed conversion? Especially the in car stuff? I've done a 600 vert before, but I may do my NYer too. I'd love to make it look stock. I wouldn't do it any other way actually.

turbo addict

Reading this and watching the videos is giving me some motivations to fix my hunk of junk. Will be interested to see where relentless goes.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    Will be interested to see where relentless goes.
    I'm calling it now....9's right off the trailer
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast