Thread: valve keeper part number confusion

Hybrid booster

valve keeper part number confusion

ok so i just want the right keepers to run COMP Cams 26995 Springs with COMP Cams 774-16 Valve Spring Retainers. the issue is im reading to use vk144R or vk144 valve spring keepers. both show different dimensions on the sealed power site, but rock auto lists them as the same
    rock auto listing http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=299&jpid=0

http://www.fmmotorparts.com/fmstoref...RetainerKeeper
    vs

i already bought the part vk144 when i got the retainers now im not sure what i actually got, from what i'm seeing i got the right ones for our valves BUT only because i got lucky or is it the opposite ? either way couldn't i just run the springs and retainers with my stock valves and locks since these locks appear appears to be stock replacement anyhow ? confused here just want it done right, i was going to get +1 single grove exhaust valves to match but im fine with useing all stock valves if it works

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Re: valve keeper part number confusion

Stock keepers with LS1 retainers seems to be what everyone is running.
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Hybrid booster

what about useing http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-623-16/ since they are for these retainers and getting custom valves ? looks like the vk144 are for the wrong valve stem diameter even though its listed as fitting the 2.2 on the sealed power site, either way something is listed wrong there

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    ok so i just want the right keepers to run COMP Cams 26995 Springs with COMP Cams 774-16 Valve Spring Retainers. the issue is im reading to use vk144R or vk144 valve spring keepers. both show different dimensions on the sealed power site, but rock auto lists them as the same
    rock auto listing http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=299&jpid=0

vs

i already bought the part vk144 when i got the retainers now im not sure what i actually got, from what i'm seeing i got the right ones for our valves BUT only because i got lucky or is it the opposite ? either way couldn't i just run the springs and retainers with my stock valves and locks since these locks appear appears to be stock replacement anyhow ? confused here just want it done right, i was going to get +1 single grove exhaust valves to match but im fine with useing all stock valves if it works
    The "R" in part # is just a hardened version of the vk144. The problem with using a standard keeper with LS1 retainers or Comp 774-16 version of the retainer is IMO they fit down inside the retainer FAR to much. They will actually protrude quite a ways under the bottom of the retainer. Run a big camshaft or run into some valve float and these can actually bottom out on the valve seal or worse the valve guide! A sure fire way to eject the keepers. You know what then happens...
    Look carefully at these pictures below. Sometimes a picture speaks a thousand words. Left is Comp 774 retainer with a -.060 installed height keeper (yes they do make them). Middle pic is stock 2.2 retainer and keepers. Right valve is LS1 keeper with stock or vk144 keeper. Notice this will drastically alter installed spring heights. If your going to buy custom valves, I would have them made with a bead groove and not square groove. Then valve, retainer and keepers are all LS1 style.
    You really should be figuring out your intended spring height if you purchase custom valves so you know where to have tip heights cut. Make sure you also check top of retainer to bottom of follower clearance as well. Factory is looking for .050 (closed). I also check this clearance at max lobe lift as well. Clear as mud right? PM me if you want to purchase any -.060 keepers. I've got enough for a few lifetimes (lol).
    Todd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7056.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	56788   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7058.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	114.6 KB 
ID:	56789  

Hybrid booster

thanks for the explanation, that clears up some of my problem for sure, so the vk144 are out completely. i dont think i know enough about the valvetrain to order custom valves since i really cant get all the specs right myself... i do know now i need bead grove valves, if i where to contact a vendor do you think they could determine the other specs based on the parts i intend to use or are there some things i need to measure first ?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    thanks for the explanation, that clears up some of my problem for sure, so the vk144 are out completely. i dont think i know enough about the valvetrain to order custom valves since i really cant get all the specs right myself... i do know now i need bead grove valves, if i where to contact a vendor do you think they could determine the other specs based on the parts i intend to use or are there some things i need to measure first ?
    As far as I know the vendors use +1mm or big valve on the shelf valves from one of a couple manufacturers. So they really aren't a custom valve where you can request certain specs (like beadlock grooves). Not to say they can't order them or get them made to your specs, but they are not more than likely going be sitting on the shelf. SI is one of the manufacturers should you want to pursue them. They are an imported valve. They do offer a couple different quality grades. Manley does make true custom valves in a few different quality grades. They have made custom valves for our application many times before. Steve Menegon may be able to help you in ordering if that is what you want to do. these valves are not imported, but rather made in USA. Hopefully you know Steve. He lives in your home state.
    Todd