Thread: MHI TE04H opimization

Mitsu booster

MHI TE04H opimization

I am in the process of adapting a MHI TE04-13C turbo to an Opel 1.9 CIH (SOHC) engine.
    It will also have EFI and ecu from the same 2.5 turbo Dodge. I have a AFPR to dial back the fuel pressure about 25% to compensate for the engine size difference.
    I have the intake manifold modified for the port injectors and Dodge TB and built an adapter to drive the turbo dodge distributor off the nose of the camshaft.
    The turbo ex manifold is mocked up based on designs by californiagting and rallybob on the Opel GT board.
    It has been difficult to find info on the Mitsu turbo but from the compressor map and airflow plots I have done it looks fairly well matched to the 1.9 Opel engine.
    I have assumed that the airflow of the head is similar to the 2.2-2.5 MOPAR ie average.
    The turbo flange will be fed off the bottom of the manifold, placing the reclocked cold side toward the front with discharge pointing down. This places the wastegate actuator against the block, so a custom mount and extended actuator shaft will be needed.
    The hot side exhaust will need a custom exit. I think a fabricated exit combining the wastegate flow with the turbo flow will be somewhat better than the factory cast outlet. I plan on a v band connection either before or after the 90 degree down bend and a flex section in the downpipe. Most likely 2" or 2.5" exhaust from there. Calculated airflow is around 369 CFM, which correlates to a hoped for 250 flywheel hp.
    I plan to smooth both hot and cold side housings without changing any contours.
    Would it be beneficial to open the turbine housing to reduce backpressure or would that be counter productive as in reducing the energy input the the turbine?
    I think that some of the concepts outlined in the thread on the Garrett outlet optimization would apply here.
    Any constructive comment will be appreciated. Maybe some of the strategies developed here could also be used by those who are still running a Mistu on a 2.2 or 2.5 MOPAR?
    PS I also have a Turbo Minivan and a 1984 Rampage that will be getting a 2.5 turbo motor.
    The mini has a Mitsu but the Rampage engine has a TBI turbo manifold and a TII Garrett.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Re: MHI TE04H opimization

Saw your post on T-D, strange how times changes, cross posting used to be a problem but accepted now.
    Subscribed!!

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

turbo addict

IMHO I don't think you can hurt performance of the turbo if you follow the optimization threads from the Garrett threads. Obviously you can do bad things if you go TOO far. Having a better outlet from the turbine housing to the downpipe will certainly help. I don't know your budget, but maybe contact Turbos Unleashed and see about maybe clipping the turbine wheel to get a little more top end flow. That *might* not be the best solution for that turbo, though, so don't just blindly do it if you don't go through TU.

Other than that, just making sure the transition from the exhaust manifold to the turbine housing is as smooth as possible and *maybe* enlarging the swingvalve hole to help control boost creep in the upper revs (don't go too big as that can cause low boost from blowing the valve open or a stuck puck from falling in the hole) are the 2 biggies. How much boost do you think you'll be running? 250whp sounds like a stretch for the Mitsu. 250 CRANK...I can agree with that, I think it will move that air, but nearly 300 (in order to reach 250 wheel)...I think that's asking a bit much, but I could be very wrong.

BTW, what car is the Opel 1.9 in?

Mitsu booster

GLHS60: Cool Rampage! Mine is a 1984 but I have not done the turbo conversion yet. A 2.5 Turbo is in the shop for it. I also have a Turbo minivan and a 2004 PT GT high output. "GOT BOOST?"

Reaper1: I am looking for a turbine outlet flange to build the 90 degree turn for the downpipe. Low restriction here I hope will allow a bit more responsive spool. I considered using ECM to open up the scrolls on the compressor and turbine but I have scratched that idea since it could do more harm than good. I anticipate 200-250 flywheel hp at 15 to18 psi (2 - 2.2 pr). I have not found enough head flow info to refine the estimate more that that.
    At this point I plan on the basic smoothing of both hot and cold sides and porting the wastegate hole. I will use 2.5" to the rear and split to 2 - 2" to replicate the original exhaust tips on the 1969 Opel GT.

How do I attach a picture to a reply? The dialog box seems to require a url for a graphic.