Thread: GTP race wheels / black lung

Hybrid booster

GTP race wheels / black lung

So last time I was at Rossion, I spent 3-4 hours going thru every single container. Did not take Randy ' s advise and wear a respirator. Next day woke up with a fever , and bloody nose. Diagnosed with fungal rhinitis ( mold infection in nose and sinus) Next trip will have full face respirator and won't be up there for a little while.

Now the fun part. I found and bought 5 three piece Revolution wheels from the factory GTP race cars. All had been submerged in water. Luckily they are aluminum and magnesium.
    Pictures to follow. As found -
    Note rusted/seized steel hardware

After 2 days soaking in Pb blaster , and help from a torch
    Then a bit a sledge hammer work -
    Note stamps -

They are 15x 9 and 15 x8. Tires were 205 and 225/50. 2 had unused but rotted 245/50.
    The 245 did not fit on my car
    Guessing the didn't fit the race car either.
    I am going to media blast and then put back together with new stainless hardware.

One down 4 to go on the tear down.

I think my hoarding may become a problem.

Adding to engine cover collection, now have a series 1 , 2 and 2 with scoop.

Not sure why they went with scoop - it ran the same as stock intercooler, ran air intake thru the stock scoop at drivers door , and oil cooler on passenger size. Seems to me they would have benefited more by putting a much bigger Intercooler in the stock location , and then maybe put cold air intake in engine cover scoop. As it did not seem to have space for a bigger Intercooler.

Last comments - the series 2 engine sits at least 2 inches lower then the series 1 , as the series 2 engine cover does not clear the intake manifold.

Also noted the series 2 has a taller rounded roof , making better clearance for driver in a helmet.
    Last edited by polopharm; 11-05-2015 at 12:05 AM.

turbo addict

Re: GTP race wheels / black lung

Revolutions wheels, LIGHT!
    I have a set or two I bought new.
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Hybrid booster

Pulled all the tires off the wheels , all were 225-235/50/15, BUT ended up with 1- 8", 2- 9"'s and a 10" ----!!
    Went back for another quick peek ( with respirator) and found another 8" , awesome luck.
    Did not venture further as waiting for lungs n sinuses to get back to normal. Looking for the series 2 scoop that goes around the Intercooler used with the later side scoop cars. Anyone seen one ?
    I also stopped in at mosler redux - wow it was interesting and wild more pictures n info when I can.

Hybrid booster

When you get a few min, get the offset / backspacing info for those wheels please.