Thread: com port issues

Garrett booster

com port issues / sbec burning errors

Okay, so I just bought this sweet wagon and it included a BB flash able SBEC. The PO has it setup using the cig lighter and a toggle switch, sending power to the red wire on the end of the cable. I've changed this to just a push button as reading on BB website it's supposed to be just a blimp of 12v to activate the boost strap. Anyway, wish my problem was writing to the SBEC....

I've completed most of the setup, even clicked the "load VCP" option, but when the computer trys to install the drivers it has an error. Then when I go into device manager, I can see an error for com port 5. It shows the little yellow exclaimnation point and when I try and get more details it says "drivers not installed due to certificates being out of date" I think it says out of date, could be another issue, but it thinks the drivers are possibility dangerous.

Any tips or suggestions? I hate the actual setup process, tuning is fun....

Joe

- - - Updated - - -

forgot to add, the laptop is using windows 7
    Last edited by Joe_Van_Duno; 11-07-2015 at 04:52 PM.

Visit www.boostbutton.com... Turbo Mopar Contributor ShelGame's Avatar

Re: com port issues

Go to ftdichip.com and download and install the driver package manually. You want the one for the FT232R.
    https://db.tt/SV7ONZpQ
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

Thanks Rob, I'll give that a try tomorrow night.

Garrett booster

Chalk this one up to the user NOT being a computer guy. So I was downloading the drivers, just not the ones for Windows 7. when you go to ftdichip.com and look at the drivers, you have to scroll down to their "non supported" drivers. There you can find the drivers for older windows versions. Just incase someone else is having the same issue.

So now I just have to get the flash able portion to work, and i'm golden!!!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

Joe, i'm just going thru this now and pay attention to what format you have open.. the .tpl file is for adjusting the tune and the .bin file is the one you flash with, just remember to compile the .tpl when you make changes so it will auto save the .bin version. hope that helps
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Garrett booster

Thanks Joe, I have that portion down, I'm trying to send the bin file, but keep getting errors. Actually I get an error whenever I ask the program to do anything. It's going into bootstrap mode (fuel pump doesn't run) but then mptune just gives me an error saying something about a corrupted boot program.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

joe - can you post up a screen shot of the error message? what specifically do you mean when you say "whenever i ask the program to do anything"? examples? also, go to this directory "C:\Users\[your name]\AppData\Roaming\MPTune" and post up the these two files: mpt2coms.txt and mpupdatelog1.txt. thx
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Garrett booster

What I meant by the "ask program to do anything" was if I ask it to read the chip, or write the chip i get errors. As I emailed Rob last night, as I'm now getting different errors. I think the "corrupted bootstrap error" was from me holding the button for more than 1 second after key on.

Faults I'm getting now are either-

Baud:7812 bytes received:101 sometimes the bytes received is different but never more than 150

or

it will actually start to write the file, then have an error half way through the writing (sorry can't remember the error it was late last night. I"ll start again soon and update if this error continues)

or

it will write the entire file, then when it will verify the file tell me to turn the key off, and then I get an error that the chip verification failed and to try again.
    Last edited by Joe_Van_Duno; 11-07-2015 at 10:46 AM.

Garrett booster

Okay here is mpupdatelog1

Update started at 4/13/2000 3:15:16 AM
    Successfully downloaded control file
    Update mode is normal
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\MPTune.exe:Current Size-1126912 / Update Size-1258496
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\MPTune.exe:Current Version-2.0.4.0 / Update Version-2.0.5.0
    File c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\MPTune.exe is outdated and will be updated
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\MPTune.chm:Current Size-1091282 / Update Size-1091282
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\MPTune.chm:Current Version- / Update Version-1.0.0.0
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\SMEC_Flash_BB.lst:Current Size-18762 / Update Size-18762
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\SMEC_Flash_BB.lst:Current Version- / Update Version-1.0.0.0
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\SBEC_Erase_Tosh_32k.lst:Current Size-11711 / Update Size-11711
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\SBEC_Erase_Tosh_32k.lst:Current Version- / Update Version-1.0.0.0
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\SBEC_Flash_Tosh_32k.lst:Current Size-14740 / Update Size-14740
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\SBEC_Flash_Tosh_32k.lst:Current Version- / Update Version-1.0.0.0
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\SBEC_Clear_ST_32k.lst:Current Size-11896 / Update Size-11896
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\SBEC_Clear_ST_32k.lst:Current Version- / Update Version-1.0.0.0
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\SBEC_Erase_ST_32k.lst:Current Size-12515 / Update Size-12515
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\SBEC_Erase_ST_32k.lst:Current Version- / Update Version-1.0.0.0
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\SBEC_Flash_ST_32k.lst:Current Size-14271 / Update Size-14271
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\SBEC_Flash_ST_32k.lst:Current Version- / Update Version-1.0.0.0
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\FCC_Erase_Tosh.lst:Current Size-13126 / Update Size-13126
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\FCC_Erase_Tosh.lst:Current Version- / Update Version-1.0.0.0
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\FCC_Flash_Tosh.lst:Current Size-17778 / Update Size-17778
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\FCC_Flash_Tosh.lst:Current Version- / Update Version-1.0.0.0
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\FCC_Erase_ST.lst:Current Size-16539 / Update Size-16539
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\FCC_Erase_ST.lst:Current Version- / Update Version-1.0.0.0
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\FCC_Flash_ST.lst:Current Size-17052 / Update Size-17052
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\FCC_Flash_ST.lst:Current Version- / Update Version-1.0.0.0
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\ChipID.lst:Current Size-16465 / Update Size-16465
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\ChipID.lst:Current Version- / Update Version-1.0.0.0
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\ReadAllBytes.lst:Current Size-11881 / Update Size-11881
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\ReadAllBytes.lst:Current Version- / Update Version-1.0.0.0
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\BootMainAll.lst:Current Size-14574 / Update Size-14574
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\BootMainAll.lst:Current Version- / Update Version-1.0.0.0
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\fcc_reset.lst:Current Size-11698 / Update Size-11698
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\fcc_reset.lst:Current Version- / Update Version-1.0.0.0
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\C1.C1Zip.2.dll:Current Size-93544 / Update Size-104808
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\C1.C1Zip.2.dll:Current Version-2.1.20131.101 / Update Version-2.0.20151.38
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\C1.Win.C1Chart3D.2.dll:Current Size-891256 / Update Size-948600
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\C1.Win.C1Chart3D.2.dll:Current Version-2.0.20131.23041 / Update Version-2.0.20151.38
    File c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\C1.Win.C1Chart3D.2.dll is outdated and will be updated
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\MPAssm.exe:Current Size-556544 / Update Size-556544
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\MPAssm.exe:Current Version-1.0.0.1 / Update Version-1.0.0.1
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\MPBinStacker.chm:Current Size-137981 / Update Size-137981
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\MPBinStacker.chm:Current Version- / Update Version-1.0.0.0
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\MPBinStacker.exe:Current Size-203776 / Update Size-203776
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\MPBinStacker.exe:Current Version-1.0.0.2 / Update Version-1.0.0.2
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\MPComp.exe:Current Size-29184 / Update Size-29184
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\MPComp.exe:Current Version-1.0.0.0 / Update Version-1.0.0.0
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\MPHexEdt.exe:Current Size-71168 / Update Size-71168
    c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\MPHexEdt.exe:Current Version-1.0.0.0 / Update Version-1.0.0.0
    Starting ftp file download for ftp://ftp.terveenfamily.com/MPTune/MPTune.exe
    Completed ftp file download
    File was added to update list as c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\MPTune.exe.mpnew
    Starting ftp file download for ftp://ftp.terveenfamily.com/MPTune/C...1Chart3D.2.dll
    File added to update list as c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\C1.Win.C1Chart3D.2.dll.mpnew
    Starting ftp file download for ftp://ftp.terveenfamily.com/MPSuiteU...iteUpdater.exe
    File was added to update list as c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\MPSuiteUpdater.exe.mpnew
    Update file list (c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\MPUpdateFileList.txt) successfully created
    mptune is still running so wait 3 seconds and try again.
    mptune is not running.
    Temporarily copy c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\mptune.exe to c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\mptune.exe.635822913709602272
    Copy c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\MPTune.exe.mpnew to c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\mptune.exe
    Delete tempfile
    Delete downloaded file
    Temporarily copy c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\c1.win.c1chart3d.2.dll to c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\c1.win.c1chart3d.2.dll.63582291372021 7536
    Copy c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\C1.Win.C1Chart3D.2.dll.mpnew to c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\c1.win.c1chart3d.2.dll
    Delete tempfile
    Delete downloaded file
    mpsuiteupdater is not running.
    Copy c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\MPSuiteUpdater.exe.mpnew to c:\program files\mp suite\mptune\mpsuiteupdater.exe
    Delete tempfile
    Delete downloaded file

Garrett booster

as for the other file, mpt2coms.txt I can not find that. I did a search function and turned up no results.

Garrett booster

Lets throw another log onto the fire......

So after, oh I don't know 500 failed attempts it finally had a successful upload. Was excited, went for a test drive and decided I needed to make some changes. Guess what happens next....a bunch of failed attempts, but I was able to successfully read the chip multiple times. It's just when I try and send the file I get the errors.

Same as before, sometimes the error happens right as the file starts to write, other times it doesn't set the fault till after it writes, reads, and gives me the prompt to turn key off and press ok.

If I didn't have a bald spot all ready I'd be pulling my hair out.

Okay here is one more thing, I noticed at one point when the key was on I could hear a high pitched tone, using a tube I isolated it to the SBEC. Then with SBEC disconnected it sounds like the hum is from a chip on the SBEC label TDK. The hum only went away after disconnecting the battery. Then cycle key on and hum would come back.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

well - it's good you had some positive results. for one the version of mptune you were using was so old i am surprised it worked at all with the templates. make sure when you log back on that you are using version 2.0.5.0.

those other log files should be in the same location. i want to see:
    mpt2coms.txt
    mpt2boot.txt

thx.

morris
    89 Voyager LE, 2.5T2 - rest in peace
    87 Charger Shelby T2 (2.4 conversion in process)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Van_Duno View Post
    Lets throw another log onto the fire......

So after, oh I don't know 500 failed attempts it finally had a successful upload. Was excited, went for a test drive and decided I needed to make some changes. Guess what happens next....a bunch of failed attempts, but I was able to successfully read the chip multiple times. It's just when I try and send the file I get the errors.

Same as before, sometimes the error happens right as the file starts to write, other times it doesn't set the fault till after it writes, reads, and gives me the prompt to turn key off and press ok.

If I didn't have a bald spot all ready I'd be pulling my hair out.

Okay here is one more thing, I noticed at one point when the key was on I could hear a high pitched tone, using a tube I isolated it to the SBEC. Then with SBEC disconnected it sounds like the hum is from a chip on the SBEC label TDK. The hum only went away after disconnecting the battery. Then cycle key on and hum would come back.
    Does it run and drive OK? That kind of sounds like a bad SBEC power supply...
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by wowzer View Post
    well - it's good you had some positive results. for one the version of mptune you were using was so old i am surprised it worked at all with the templates. make sure when you log back on that you are using version 2.0.5.0.

those other log files should be in the same location. i want to see:
    mpt2coms.txt
    mpt2boot.txt

thx.

morris
    I will look for those files tomorrow when I'm out playing with the car again.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelGame View Post
    Does it run and drive OK? That kind of sounds like a bad SBEC power supply...
    I'll be honest I've only driven the car about 3 miles. When I drove it, it didn't drive very well. Which is why i'm trying to put another tune in the car. Figured out the person who bought your module goes by the screen name wallace. He was having a random miss / stumble when cursing at 65, and it looks like it was something to do with an emissions reminder light. He did tell me that the car has always been a total pain to flash, that it never worked the first time. Well now i'm at a point where I'm pretty constantly writing, reading, and when I turn the key off I get a chip write failure fault. I'm thinking the faults where I was getting corrupted boot, was because I wasn't removing the 12 volts fast enough.

Thanks again guys, and I'll look for those files in the morning. If I figure anything else out I'll let you know.

OK, so I spent some time with your SBEC again this morning. I don’t really see anything physically wrong. So, I tried flashing a bunch of different cals to it. I got interesting results. This was Wallace Barnett’s SBEC, right?

I flashed a dozen or so cals to it with no problem at all. Except for the cal I made for Wallace. It gave me an error about half the time. I don’t really understand why, except that his cal was originally from 2013, and I updated it to T-SBECv4 this past Jan. So, maybe there’s an error in update. But, that really shouldn’t have any impact on the flash process at all. So, I don’t really know what’s going on. But, I only have that error (same as you – bytes:xxx) on that cal. All other cals flash just fine.

I would suggest starting over with a fresh T-SBECv4 cal and see if that doesn’t work better.
    Rob Lloyd
    '89 Daytona C/S

2.5 T1 Auto
    13.24 @ 100.5mph
    NHRA #3728 AF/S

boostbutton.com
    tuning wiki

Garrett booster

So just to give a final update, I'm really confidant that we finally figured out the issue. I was always using a laptop with a dead or bad battery and running the laptop off my power inverter. By accident I unplugged my laptop just before I attempted a flash. Sure enough it worked. Since then I've flashed at least 10 times, all successful, I just have to run the laptop on battery power. I emailed Rob and he said that converters can make "noise" that can screw up the serial communications....... In layman's terms, I guess that means the power conversions thingy ma-jig was Effing things up.....

Hope this will help someone in the future!!!