Thread: Power Steering Noise/ Whine

boostaholic

Power Steering Noise/ Whine

Been driving around my 92 Daytona IROC R/T more lately, the power steering seems to be getting louder. I am not sure what is wrong with it. From what I read it has ZF pump. Is this pump rebuild able? Where can I get a replacement pump? Am I better of with a junkyard unit or should I purchase a re manufactured one? Car is driven pretty hard and I have just about rebuilt or replaced everything under the hood. What are my options, I assume the noise is coming from the pump.
    Thanks

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: Power Steering Noise/ Whine

Double check that you don't have loose bolt or nut.

While I don't have a TIII, my TI Daytona recently started making a noise that I thought was the power steering pump. Turned out that during my 5 speed swap, and engine seal replacement project I had recently completed, I had left the nut on the pivot bolt for the alternator loose. The washer walked out, and was rubbing the back of the idler pulley for the A/C belt. Sounded just like a noisy power steering pump... Stupid mistake on my part, but it wasn't really obvious at first either...

boostaholic

The noise is only heard when turning the wheels at lower speeds or when not moving and it gets louder when the steering is close to lock or at lock causing extra strain on the pump.

Assuming you've checked the fluid, but that sound is usually indicative of air in the system. Best way to deal with it is to turn the wheel lock to lock (one way), check for air in the system by looking for it in the fluid in the reservoir and let that settle and add some more. Then turn it back the other way and check again, then rinse and repeat until the noise goes away. If all of that doesn't do anything or if the fluid level is good and there is no air in the system, you'll need to replace the pump. I'm not 100% certain, but my nephew has a 2005 Jeep and the PS unit looks VERY similar to the one that goes on that car. Maybe not identical, but it may bolt up to the bracket.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Assuming you've checked the fluid, but that sound is usually indicative of air in the system. Best way to deal with it is to turn the wheel lock to lock (one way), check for air in the system by looking for it in the fluid in the reservoir and let that settle and add some more. Then turn it back the other way and check again, then rinse and repeat until the noise goes away. If all of that doesn't do anything or if the fluid level is good and there is no air in the system, you'll need to replace the pump. I'm not 100% certain, but my nephew has a 2005 Jeep and the PS unit looks VERY similar to the one that goes on that car. Maybe not identical, but it may bolt up to the bracket.
    Should I be turning the wheel lock to lock with the car running or not, should I jack the front up and take the load off it? Ill give this a try tonight. The fluid was low a few weeks back and I added some, maybe it got low enough to let air into the system.

You do it when it's running. It's not necessary to jack it up, the purpose is to push whatever air that is in the system up into the reservoir and push fluid into the rack. Not sure if you would effectively purge air out of the system without the car running.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

boostaholic

I tried this last night, I turn the wheel lock to lock a couple dozen times, no bubbles in the reservoir and the whine never go any quieter. I think my pump is shot.