Thread: Best adjusters

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor jeff1234's Avatar

Best adjusters

I have two sets of hydraulic adjusters. One set was recently purchased new the other is a set from my old 2.2. The new set has a very small oil bleed hole the old set has a bigger bleed hole. Which set is best to use and why.
    Thanks.
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Re: Best adjusters

This is interesting, I have had 39 views and no one seems to know the answer to my question or even have an opinion. How does the size of the bleed hole ( provides pressure input to the adjuster) affect how well the adjuster holds rocker arm at full lift during high rpm. Would the larger hole cause the adjuster to bleed down at idle, would be another question. Someone out there can tell me the answer. I wonder who?
    The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic dollars, how fast can you afford to go?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Well, i am brave enough to tell you i don't know. If it were my car i would try the set with the larger holes, and if they had issues try a thicker oil, and if they still had issues try the other set.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

I don't know either. The last set I bought was the "high RPM" set from FWDP. I put them in my Omni GLH build and faced the bleed hole toward the oil galley. Engine is nice and quite despite still having a slider cam.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
    How does the size of the bleed hole ( provides pressure input to the adjuster) affect how well the adjuster holds rocker arm at full lift during high rpm.
    Should not have any effect. How well the adjuster performs is due to its internal clearances and how much crud is trapped inside.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1234 View Post
    Would the larger hole cause the adjuster to bleed down at idle, would be another question. Someone out there can tell me the answer. I wonder who?
    The adjuster is basically "one-way" as far as oil flow is concerned. Oil comes in through that hole in the side and travels down inside the base of the adjuster through a ball valve. As soon as the adjusters plunger travels downward, the ball valve shuts trapping the oil below. The only way out is between the plunger and the inner sleeve of the adjuster. These clearances are pretty tight.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Thats not a bleed hole, as you mentioned, its an adjuster oil "fill" hole.
    One reason PT adjusters are preferred is they actually have a bleed hole in the tip.
    Hydraulic lash adjusters have precise internal metering so I don't believe the hole size is directly an issue.
    Some adjusters are certainly better than others but I don't know how to recognize better ones, its pretty much trial and error other than the MP High RPM adjusters have a slash across the bottom.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

turbo addict

The adjuster is basically "one-way" as far as oil flow is concerned. Oil comes in through that hole in the side and travels down inside the base of the adjuster through a ball valve. As soon as the adjusters plunger travels downward, the ball valve shuts trapping the oil below. The only way out is between the plunger and the inner sleeve of the adjuster. These clearances are pretty tight.

sooo , the bigger holes might make the rockers quieter quicker at start up (??)

I brought this question up because I had what seemed to be one noisy adjuster at idle. As soon as the revs picked up a little it would quiet down. I have 60 psi at a cold idle so pressure shouldn't be the problem. I measured all of my adjusters with my dial calipers and most were within .002/.003 overall length. I had one or two that were .005 short so I suspect those to be causing the noise. It seems to me that when oil pressure is removed from the adjuster, it will collapse to some extent, this is why I referred to the oil port in the body of the adjuster as the bleed hole. This would be the easiest escape route for the internal pressure built up during running. Correct me if I am wrong but don't the adjusters spin in their respective bores? Mine all show evidence of this. Dr. Johnny Dodge, your point about the larger hole reducing clearance quicker was in the back of my mind as well. I am intrigued by the PT Cruiser adjuster, is there anything special about using these that I need to know? Thanks to all for your input!
    Jeff
    Last edited by jeff1234; 11-04-2015 at 08:49 AM.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Lifters/lash adjusters are an engineering marvel, a miniature hydraulic pressure balancing device.

They absorb any lash variance and maintain this position even though oil pressure varies or is even zero when the engine is not running through precise internal metering. Although they are extremely precise internally, external lengths are not critical.

They exert enough force to be a pivot point for the rocker to open the valve against valve spring pressure but not enough to keep the valve open when it should be closed. Perfect balance!!

They shouldn't collapse when not exposed to oil pressure, but sometimes due to age, wear and dirt, one or more, bleeds off, and clacks when the engine is started, often becoming quiet when it receives oil pressure.

They shouldn't rotate in our engines but there is nothing to prevent them from rotating. Pushrod engines, where the lifter rides directly on the cam need to rotate, with a few exceptions, to wear properly.

PT lifters are a common up grade in our engines due to their bleed hole in the tip but are shorter, so they need shims, or washers to achieve proper height.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

turbo addict

jeff1234 ... oil can't return the way it came into the adjuster. The ball valve in the base prevents this. So, the hole on the side is not a bleed hole. As far as the hole size, a bigger hole should provide more flow into the adjuster and therefore fill a bled down adjuster quicker. Sure, makes sense ... but the adjuster should hold for quite sometime as long as it's still viable.

I've found that typically if you can push the tip in on an adjuster in an engine that has been recently run that the lifter in question probably has gunk trapped in the check valve causing it to one bleed out pressure and two not receive the proper oil flow. 9 times out of 10 when I replace said lifter the clatter goes away. Now for a high rpm constant duty motor like circle track or autocross the PT lifter are a worthwhile upgrade.

That is great information guys, thank you very much. I checked out adjusters on rockauto.com and noticed that the more expensive ones appear to have the larger hole, (if you can trust the pictures to be accurate) so I think I will try the ones from my 2.2 first and see how they work out. The are original Chrysler and I noticed that they have crimping all around the cap at the top whereas the replacements look as though they only have about 4 crimps holding it on. GLHS60, I agree, these parts are amazing engineering.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Just for added info, I did the PT lifter upgrade on the 2.2 in my Scamp. It's an N/A motor with the MP "767" slider cam & "813" valve springs. I've been told on several occasions that it's the quietest slider cam motor they have ever heard, and I'm still running the original stamped valve cover. I didn't notice a big difference in power, but the engine does rev freely, and it is quieter than before. There are a couple of guys over on T-D.com that sell the kit with shims. Well worth it IMHO.