Thread: Mini cooper S engine.

turbo addict

Mini cooper S engine.

Thought I would share this if anybody had any ideas about the 1.6l Chrysler engine used in the earlier mini coopers. It sucked up water and has a rod knock so I replaced the engine. Not sure if it shares bellhousing patterns with any other mopar engines. I do like how it has the water outlet on the end of the head instead of the front like the 2.0/2.4. It basically looks like a 2.0 SOHC but with chain driven timing instead of belt.

turbo addict

Re: Mini cooper S engine.

Just realized starter is in the back instead of front like the 2.0/2.4. It's more like ours in that regard.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Take more pictures please !!

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Garrett booster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritec_engine

It was used in euro Neons/Pt cruiser for a bit...
    My cooper s is currently sporting a ported head and smaller supercharger pully. Check the cam, I found my cylinder 1 intake lobe and rocker all chewed up...

minis had Getrag manual transmissions
    Last edited by Sloride; 10-30-2015 at 07:43 AM. Reason: forgot trans

turbo addict

Fiat bought the engine in the mid 2000's. Funny how that worked. They use the engine in south america still.

Hybrid booster

How hard was it to pull compared to out TDs? What did you wind up doing for a replacement engine? Did you replace the s/c too - I hear they are only good for 150k.

turbo addict

they are kind of a pain to pull, gotta remove the entire front end (bumper cover, grill, rad, intercooler, aluminum bumper, condensor) then it looks like itll just come straight out, but the motor mounts fight you, ac lines need to come out, up and down blah blah... its not bad, but tedious. ive already replaced 2 superchargers on them, one had 96k the other had 118k, cost about 2k to rebuild them with new teflon and smaller pulleys. they also drive the water pump so good time to replace that too, and ive also had problems with the crank pulleys. the belt drive part breaks from the part that bolts to the crank, that failed 4k after i replaced the supercharger on the 118k mini...

turbo addict

Had it out in a few short hours. The replacement engine is from LKQ and has 65k miles.

Hybrid booster

Good to know. Thx for the info. I've glanced through the Bentley but haven't to do any real work on the car yet except for an axle and maintenance. I'm sure that will change in coming years.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

I remember when I had my 2005 Cooper S it was really packed in there. The engine bay of the MINI made the engine bay of the GLH look spacious.
    I always like the fact that the engine was a Chrysler derivative. The early engine is also much more durable than the all aluminum Peugeot engine they started using in 2007.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by ajakeski View Post
    I remember when I had my 2005 Cooper S it was really packed in there. The engine bay of the MINI made the engine bay of the GLH look spacious.
    I always like the fact that the engine was a Chrysler derivative. The early engine is also much more durable than the all aluminum Peugeot engine they started using in 2007.
    It's definitely tight between the rails. The entire front end comes off super easy though. The radiator and fog lights are bolted to a giant plastic radiator support that comes right off. If there is one thing Chrysler engines are known for, it's stupidly strong bottom ends. I will get some more pictures of the whole thing monday.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor ajakeski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    It's definitely tight between the rails. The entire front end comes off super easy though. The radiator and fog lights are bolted to a giant plastic radiator support that comes right off. If there is one thing Chrysler engines are known for, it's stupidly strong bottom ends. I will get some more pictures of the whole thing monday.

I learned that when a girl made a left turn in front of me in '07.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_4681.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	56632   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_4677.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	926.2 KB 
ID:	56633  

turbo addict

turbo addict

any conclusions about the bellhousing pattern?
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

Not really. Anyone have a good picture of 2.0/2.4 bellhousing?