Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: MeanMini 's cooling system anomaly: coolant push to overflow

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: MeanMini 's cooling system anomaly: coolant push to overflow

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    My Lebaron has never really kept the radiator full, it always seems to push it out and not pull it back in. However, it only seems to do this until the level is a couple inches down from the neck, after that seems to stop losing it.
    My Jeep was doing this. Every time I would pull the cap to check it, it was down a bit. I was afraid it was consuming coolant. Turns out that the hose to the overflow was a loose fit on the replacement radiator. When the coolant would expand, it would push out past the cap into the reservoir, but instead of being drawn back in as it cooled, air would get drawn in. I put clamps on the hose at the filler neck and the reservoir and it was never an issue again.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Slugmobile & MeanMini Caretaker Turbo Mopar Contributor wheming's Avatar

And as Gary said, that drawing in of air (when the system goes into vacuum when cooling) can happen at any fitting/hose clamp.
    Wayne H.

'91 Dodge Spirit ES 2.5L turbo 5spd
    '05 PT GT 2.4T HO autostick (RIP)
    '89 Plymouth Acclaim 2.5L turbo auto, "Slugmobile" yes, THE Slugmobile!
    '89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw
    and other cars, trucks and motorcycles
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SlugmobileMeanMini

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Great thread. It's elementary, but it bears saying, purge the system in order to get a baseline coolant level, or at least a stable level, so that you know exactly where the coolant level was at. That is, sometimes the level that appears through the radiator cap changes just because air bubbles are freed from somewhere during operation and that sets up questions about a leak, unless you've done several purges.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Good reminder John.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who dislikes how the minivan heater core is so high in the system. I'm sure that Brian had purged all the air out when he performed his work, and i know I tried to be sure of the same when i replaced the radiator.
    I think one thing that wold be handy is some vent ports on the heater core lines.
    Wayne H.

'89 Dodge Caravan SE 2.5L turbo auto, "Mean Mini" yes, Gus' Mean Mini! (Current best 11.699 @ 114.43 mph! - Oct 15th, 2022 Cecil County Dragway, MD)
    MeanMini dragracing videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...URZLB1RxGYF6vw

Can you add a length of heater hose to a new high point in the system? Use one of those heater hose flush n fill kits to add a fill cap at the high point.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Can you add a length of heater hose to a new high point in the system? Use one of those heater hose flush n fill kits to add a fill cap at the high point.
    I always just cracked a hose open at the highest point while it was running or jack up the front end.

Working on clearing the decks.

Quote Originally Posted by mopar-tech View Post
    I always just cracked a hose open at the highest point while it was running or jack up the front end.
    I've done both of these too.
    I like the idea of a vent valve there at the high point.
    There are automatic (mechanical) air purgers, they are often on reheat type industrial water systems. They will allow air to escape, but prevent fluid loss. I considered trying something like that at some point. Of course, once the air is out, then you don't need one. Unless you are getting air in the system somehow.
    Wayne H.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor mopar-tech's Avatar

If you are getting good heat out of the core I would not worry about it Wayne. I never saw a vehicle that failed to clear the heater core after running it briskly down the road..

Working on clearing the decks.

Hybrid booster

Like others stated above, you got a leak of some type somewhere.
    pressure test the cooling system, build to cap pressure, and let it sit for 2-3 hours.
    any external leaks except for the overflow hose and overflow tank will show themselves by then.
    if the pressure drops noticeably but you have no external leaks there is another type of cooling system pressure test that will 100% confirm if its a headgasket or not.

connect cooling system pressure tester , pressurize the system to 2-3 psi, just enough to move the needle off zero. disable the ignition coil and injectors then crank the engine for 4-5 seconds. if the pressure tester gauge went up you have a leaking head gasket or a crack in the block or cylinder head.

connect cooling system pressure tester same as above, pressurize system to 2-3 psi. remove 1 spark plug and rotate to TDC for that cylinder, use a leak down tester or a fitting connected to shop air and pressurize the cylinder for 30 minutes. if the cooling system pressure tester gauge goes up that cylinder is leaking. repeat the test for the other 3 cylinders to pinpoint which ones are leaking. this test takes a bit longer to run than the cranking test but it works really well to pinpoint small or hard to find leaks. I've found head gasket leaks with this method that did not show up using the color changing fluid block tester method.

For getting air out of the system i cant speak highly enough about the vacuum cooling system fillers. Quick, easy and it gets all the air out of even hard to bleed, no need to burp air out for 45 minutes after, 5-10 minutes from empty to full and you're done. if you decide to buy one dont get one that has the expanding rubber cone type radiator cap mount, get one that has a positive lock setup like a cooling system pressure tester.
    this is the one i have, i love it http://www.cornwelltools.com/webcat/...Refiller.html# when i used it to fill my shadow from dead dry empty took 10 minutes start to finish, full to the brim , no air burped out even 6 months later.

Thanks for the tips. I haven't seen that tool before.

I believe all those tests you described have been performed in some manner or other.
    I'll try and get an update tonight and see if there has been any developments.
    Wayne H.

So it has been a while since posting to do with this troubleshooting.
    Here was the lastes from the last update regarding Mini's cooling system.

I sent Brian the waterpump cartridge that i had modified ala Ed Peters recommendation for the older style pump. The reverse rotating pump has a different impellar shape, yet i still clipped every-other blade, taking the six blade impellar down to a 3 blade. (For anyone that may remember back a few years ago, i couldn't ever find definitive opinion on whether the mod was also meant for the later common block reverse rotating pumps.) During the build we removed the underdrive pulley to start off back to a baseline.

It appears the theory of these bubbles being cavitation was true. When Brian tested the system with the modified pump, the bubbles were significantly reduced, and eventually after a couple heat cycles all but disappeared. Also, the pump was pulling better suction than the 6 blade impellar.
    Brian found a couple coolant hoses that were leaking during a pressure test and tightened those. On temperature cycling, the coolant was getting drawn back in now.
    The (combustion gases) block test was negative, and he tested several times, different ways to be sure.

I think with these developments and some road use testing he was ready to proceed with the remaining work plan and call the coolant issue handled.
    Wayne H.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor GLHS60's Avatar

Wayne, you have provided some valuable info for sure!!
    Appreciate your sharing.

Thanks
    Randy

There is no logical reason to call an Engine a motor.

Randy Hicks
    86 GLHS60
    86 GLHS 373 : SOLD, but never forgotten
    89 Turbo Minivan
    83 Turbo Rampage : SOLD
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada

Quote Originally Posted by GLHS60 View Post
    Wayne, you have provided some valuable info for sure!!
    Appreciate your sharing.

Thanks
    Randy
    No problem Randy! I hope it helps someone else. Might be a good alternative than having to use the older pump.
    Wayne H.

turbo addict

did you take any pics of the modified pump blades???

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    did you take any pics of the modified pump blades???
    Just found some, not easy to find when i have over 5500 pics on my phone right now!

I debated whether to take off the entire blade near the hub, or to just take off the "paddle". In the end i went with the latter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1454459015789.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	57252
    Wayne H.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Thanks a ton for this info. Please let us know how it idles with the blades removed.

Brian said it seemed to have good flow at idle. And it maintained temp at idle. The test will be idling in NC summertime weather. But, I can always bump the idle rpm slightly. And, the stock crank pulley is still on.
    Wayne H.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

So . . . less blades, less cavitation.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Fascinating. Cavitation at idle?
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Interesting indeed, but I think its far more likely that the pump was drawing in some air (leak) on the suction side of the pump causing the air bubbles/pockets.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast