Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KYB AGX rear coilover L-Body install

Hybrid booster

KYB AGX rear coilover L-Body install

What's up guys,

So I finally put all my research into a functioning product. After reading rx2mazda's thread on putting the adjustable KYB AGX's on his car, I got to thinking about having a rear coilover setup on the Omni to help eliminate rear end squat during launches at the strip using the same struts. So, I started my research, but won't dabble into what I found and bore you with numbers.. I will say this though, I bought some corner scales and weighed each corner of the Omni, and, since I'm only focused on the rear, concerned myself with the ~400 pound corner weights. From there, I guessed how much the trailing arm, brakes, hubs, rims/tires, etc. weighed and subtracted that from the sprung weight (how much weight is being supported by the rear suspension) to get a rough estimate of what springs I wanted. I came up with about 300 pounds, but I'll get to more later in the thread for which springs I actually went with. Anyways, on to the parts list I used with pricing and locations.

PARTS LIST

• Two(2) KYB AGX adjustable shock absorbers (P/N KYB 741033) $85.23 EACH from Summit Racing
    • Two(2) 5" Coilover Sleeves (P/N A1-12451) $15.53 EACH from A-1 Racing Products
    • Two(2) Spring Coil Over adjusting nuts (P/N A1-12460) $12.87 EACH from A-1 Racing Products
    • One(1) Spanner wrench (P/N PROZ902) $9.95 from A-1 Racing Products
    • Two(2) 8" Landrum Coil Springs 275lb/in (P/N Y8-275) $55.99 EACH from Summit Racing

Total Price NOT including shipping: $349.19

Now for a little side note, I chose 275lb/in rated springs because I wanted to have a controlled depression of the springs that will also slowly push the transferred weight back forward toward the front tires. With the adjustable dampening of the AGX's, I will have a little bit more fine tuning. Your spring choice is ENTIRELY up to you, but as a tidbit of info, STOCK GLH springs are 135lb/in rated. Also, you will need to find coil springs that have a 2.250" INSIDE DIAMETER should you decide not to go with the springs listed above.

Now I know this is a cheap alternative to bolt on kits that Rich and Cindy sell, but I'm pretty cheap and I only want this as a drag setup, nothing more, nothing less. So put your matches and gasoline away, take your flames somewhere else.

Since it is cheap, there are two things about this ensemble that will need to be addressed before you can throw it together.
    1. The coil sleeve isn't exactly a smooth fit for inside the spring, so you will have to either dremel out the inside edge or grind the inside perch of the spring until the sleeve can slide in with ease. You ONLY need to do the part of the spring that SITS ON THE ADJUSTING NUT, not the inside coils. The inside coils clear the sleeve without a problem, it's just that first coil. This was probably the most time consuming part, but wasn't difficult by any means. There is still PLENTY of meat left for the spring to sit on the adjusting nut.
    2. The sleeve itself isn't a tight squeeze over the shock body, so you will have to make a spacer of some sorts to go in between the shock body and the sleeve. I accomplished this by cutting a rubber floor mat from AutoZone into a strip and wrapping it around the shock body, using electrical tape to secure it. The sleeve then slipped over the shock body like a glove.

For the last bit of this project, you'll notice that I didn't list anything about the top parts of the coil over setup. Thats because your stock L-Body stuff will slip right on top. The only thing that you can't use from your stock L-Body top parts is the tightening nut, but don't fret, your new KYB AGX's will come with a fancy new one. You'll see in the final pic below that the rear end is a little high, that's because I haven't adjusted it yet, but you get the idea, it will go lower.

Finally, PICS!!!

boostaholic

Re: KYB AGX rear coilover L-Body install

Looks great
    Do you know what the intended application for the shocks is, (doubt it is an Omni)?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Keito View Post
    Looks great
    Do you know what the intended application for the shocks is, (doubt it is an Omni)?

Summit says

Universal: No

Make: MITSUBISHI

Model: MIRAGE

Beginning Year: 1997

Ending Year: 2002

Drivetrain: FWD

Ride Height (application): Stock

Amount Raised: None

Amount Lowered: None

Shock Position: Rear driver side

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ky...3/applications

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

This is a nice reasonably priced alternative to getting my Koni's rebuilt... if they are even rebuildable at this point. They're pretty rusty.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Nice job piecing together something that works for the cars without complication! Is there any gap between the sleeve and the shock body or does it tightly fit? Just wondering because I bought some stuff YEARS ago to do coil overs and they sent me large rubber o-rings to fit over the strut and inside the sleeve to reduce movement. Nice work though! If you end up lowering the rears enough so there is no tension on the spring when decompressed, you can get a helper spring and coupler to keep things aligned when the suspension doesn't have load on it.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

Nice to have this info with part numbers all in one thread! Looks great!

Good point. I would recommend this be added to the Knowledge Base for others to refer to.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

What is between the spring and the upper hat?

Hybrid booster

The stock rubber thingy. That's what was there when I pulled the old shocks and stuff on

I'm pretty sure that isn't how it is mounted. The spring sits on the metal perch and the isolator goes above it, I'm fairly certain. I know it doesn't sit between the spring and the perch. The bushing won't last long like that.

Hybrid booster

Great job BoostedDrummer.

I think now I'll sell my rear Konis, and replace them with this setup.

Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I'm pretty sure that isn't how it is mounted. The spring sits on the metal perch and the isolator goes above it, I'm fairly certain. I know it doesn't sit between the spring and the perch. The bushing won't last long like that.

Yes. Spring in metal perch, rubber isolator above perch so it isolates perch from the strut tower. The second isolator goes on the top of the strut tower, then the metal washer, then the nut.

Hybrid booster

Well, shoot...

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedDrummer View Post
    Well, shoot...
    Even so, it is a nice looking setup. Not too surprising it is for a mitsu. How I did the rear of mine except mine are for an eclipse. You have any poly bushings to replace the factory ones? I mean the ones that go between the body and strut.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

This is how it should installed.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Nice work Boosted Drummer. Thanks for sharing. These kinds of threads are what make car forums great.

I myself have a BC setup from rbryant, but the more options the merrier. I have to admit I do like the stock'ish' KYB Gas-A-Just shocks I found on eBay a while back. They still work great but unfortunately are no longer available. I really like the KYB AGX on my Buick Regal though!

boostaholic

Just noticed the adjusting nut should be flipped over too.
    I didn't have an issue with clearance using the black Summit springs.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Great contribution. Thanks
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedDrummer View Post
    Well, shoot...

Not a big deal at all...quick swap around of the bushing, readjust the height and you're good. The AGX install is a very cool one. Very helpful of you to post up your details.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast