Thread: Low Mileage Maserati Engine, 568 Trans with OBX... in turbo Van...

Hybrid booster

Low Mileage Maserati Engine, 568 Trans with OBX... in turbo Van...

Date: 27th October 2015
    Username: vipernbox
    Full Name: Ron Holm
    City, State, Zip: Kansas City KS 66112
    Price:

Description: This is a 1990 factory 5spd turbo van.. Installed and running is a Common Block Maserati engine and a 523 transaxle with OBX. I modified the harness slightly to run the Masi on a flashable SBEC, and Rod Llyod of Boost Button created a nice starting point for a SBEC calibration for the engine.

It still has the stock turbo (57trim Turbonetics turbo can be included)...

It runs but needs some tuning, and TLC. (I think there is a bad ground or two still lurking, but it is plenty drivable) The van is rusty in places and it is covered in fleece fabric which is worn. I used the van for working and promoting my Christmas Lighting business.

I am just not at a point in my life where I need this around right now. (divorce and lots of things changing.) Looking for a quick sale.

Pictures and more info here..

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...t=#post1007760

Edited..... changed description to list 523 instead of 568 transaxle... have 568's around too in various condition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	utf-8BSU1BRzEyNzEuanBn.jpg 
Views:	509 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	56602  
    Last edited by vipernbox; 12-04-2015 at 12:28 AM.

Re: Low Mileage Maserati Engine, 568 Trans with OBX... in turbo Van...

Does that include the Rudolf the Reindeer head on the front? I was wondering if you were still around!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by looneytuner View Post
    Does that include the Rudolf the Reindeer head on the front? I was wondering if you were still around!

I would like to keep the antlers.... but could work anything out at this point .

Garrett booster

do you sell only the OBX???

Hybrid booster

I listed in parts because I assumed the van would be bought for parting out for other projects. Prefer to sell it all at once.

The obx would go with the transaxle

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Ron, I am really feeling for you right now Bro, I had to make lots of hard choices when my life changed from my big D a few years ago. I purged lots of stuff that was tying me down too. I would encourage you to store the van with a relative or friend until you get the rest of your life situated again. You've put so much work into it and it's one of only 2 Masi Mini's in the world(that I know of)

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

I have to admit...Masi in a mini is pretty unique!

Running an OBX in a 568 requires a final drive ring and pinion from a 523, did you change the final drive ratio at all or did you find a 523 with 3.85 gearing? Other choices are 3.77 or 3.50 gears.

Do you have more pics of the van?

Hybrid booster

Oh crap.... you are right... it is a 523. 3.50 final drive if I remember correctly. I was going to make a hybrid using one of the 568's I have around, but must have just used the 523.

Sorry about that.....

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Ron, I am really feeling for you right now Bro, I had to make lots of hard choices when my life changed from my big D a few years ago. I purged lots of stuff that was tying me down too. I would encourage you to store the van with a relative or friend until you get the rest of your life situated again. You've put so much work into it and it's one of only 2 Masi Mini's in the world(that I know of)

I just dont have the time... even outside of the D. (Which is going horribly) I really haven't been able to seriously mess with van in over a year,

But yeah.... I have gone from nearly being a stay at home dad to supervised visitation of my kids based on BS she has dreamed up. She also accused me of domestic battery claiming I pushed her.. all to trying to 'win' what she thinks needs to be a custody battle over the kids. It is the most horrible set of events I have ever experienced.

The good thing is there has never been any reason to think it was the wrong choice to want to get away from her.....

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Yep, I heard the same kinda stuff from my Ex during that time, the kids are afraid of him (because I slammed my open hands down on the kitchen table during an argument with her) he stays out late at night and comes home smelling like booze (Uh, those nice new GMC Yukon's and Denali's she enjoys every two years comes from my high paying sales job, yes I have to take clients out regularly) Unfortunately Dad doesn't have many rights at the stage your in(my kids were hating on me at that time, 'Dad, it's all your fault, why did you do this to us?') not until the courts decide the custody schedule. Keep in mind tho, it's her lawyer feeding her all this BS and making the demands, guess what, they ALWAYS demand 100% custody, they attorneys want to maximize the child support (and their income). I didn't sleep more than a couple hours at a time for two years I too feel like it was the worst experience of my life. Just keep showing the kids you love them, they'll understand in a few years. Also consider finding a support group to discuss your thoughts and feelings. I still feel like I'm lucky to be alive today because of the support I received from a few key(yet unlikely!) people. Stay strong. It gets better after things are finalized and the attorneys GTFO!

BTW, I reached out to a friend in your area who has had many turbo Mini's. he's got your number, I think he is working on the wife approval part

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Yep, I heard the same kinda stuff from my Ex during that time, the kids are afraid of him (because I slammed my open hands down on the kitchen table during an argument with her) he stays out late at night and comes home smelling like booze (Uh, those nice new GMC Yukon's and Denali's she enjoys every two years comes from my high paying sales job, yes I have to take clients out regularly) Unfortunately Dad doesn't have many rights at the stage your in(my kids were hating on me at that time, 'Dad, it's all your fault, why did you do this to us?') not until the courts decide the custody schedule. Keep in mind tho, it's her lawyer feeding her all this BS and making the demands, guess what, they ALWAYS demand 100% custody, they attorneys want to maximize the child support (and their income). I didn't sleep more than a couple hours at a time for two years I too feel like it was the worst experience of my life. Just keep showing the kids you love them, they'll understand in a few years. Also consider finding a support group to discuss your thoughts and feelings. I still feel like I'm lucky to be alive today because of the support I received from a few key(yet unlikely!) people. Stay strong. It gets better after things are finalized and the attorneys GTFO!

BTW, I reached out to a friend in your area who has had many turbo Mini's. he's got your number, I think he is working on the wife approval part

yeah... I was a "negligent father" in the first hearing because my 5 year old twins, who I have taken to swim lessons every week for nearly a year and a half were at the lake, on a dock without life jackets on... The proof of this is two kids happily holding fish on the ends of their fishing poles. Somehow the judge goes along with it.. Then my daughter has Benign Rolandic Epilepsy. I was on a bit of a road trip with kids when the EX calls at 8:17... My Daughter hadn't had her 8pm medication yet (Tripetal). I made a PLANNED stop at 8:27pm and gave the kid her medicine. This is on Oral medication.. Hospital protocol is plus or minus an hour, yet somehow this gets spun into me not being responsible with her care..... It is all stuff I can work through... but I am in front of a judge who is well known for making up her mind early in the case... and.... Well... My wife works in Jail Administration, and all of these people involved in the court system are her friends.

boostaholic

The divorce industry needs your support. Lawyers got kids to feed too. That and Ferrari payments.

Ditto the part about kids seeing through the bullchit eventually. It may take time but its pretty much inevitable they see through.
    Last edited by Rrider; 10-28-2015 at 01:43 PM.
    MinivanRider

Hybrid booster

Hang in there bro, and hopefully the van will find a good home.