Thread: Spark plug thread repair kits.. which ones are not crap?

boostaholic

Spark plug thread repair kits.. which ones are not crap?

I've been all over google and amazon for a M14x1.25 kit, seen prices and reviews all over the board. Seen black oxide looking and also orange color ones. I really want to retain the factory looks for flips, so silver or greyish is what I'm needing. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars unnecessarily but don't mind spending a decent amount for something good either. Anybody have an recommendations? Luckily this size covers most of the bikes and cars I would need it for..
    Last edited by Rrider; 10-23-2015 at 01:08 PM.
    MinivanRider

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: Spark plug thread repair kits.. which ones are not crap?

I have repaired a few failed spark plug threads on 2.2/2.5 heads with an insert kit from NAPA. They were a solid threaded insert and were black oxide, not the hell-coil type. I've never had one of those fail yet. The kit is kind of expensive but it saved my --- a couple times.

I think I used one from Napa that worked fine. Honestly, it should be a temporary fix and not a long term solution. Anything that will get you to a point where you can pull the head and replace or re-work it, should be good.

On a side note, you can pull the washer off the plug and that may get you another bite or two on the threads unless it's that bad. Did that when I was in Detroit and stripped one over at Soroka's house. He had the idea, we tried it and it worked. He also gave me the great idea of running some compressed air into the intake system that would feed into the cylinder, in turn blowing the debris out instead of letting it fall into the cylinder. It may or may not have kept all of it out, but it worked enough to get me to a rebuild point.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Hybrid booster

I've used the napa kit with black oxide inserts many many times on Ford v10s. If you are very careful and do a good install, they seem to last a very long time. I coat the tap with a thick layer of grease which catches most of the debris the blow the cylinder out with air.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Big +1 on coating the tap with grease. I also go in/out with it several times and clean/regrease the tap. I don't worry about the little bit of aluminum shavings that fall into the cylinder too much. They will just get blasted right out the exhaust anyway. Once you set them with the included punch, they are in there for good.